The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

holset hx35 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmxrider489

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 4, 2010
pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I've been searching turbos and what not but I see in the dyno challenge the hx40 put down over 600. From what I was told the hx35 wont. My goal is 600. I know that's a big jump. But from what I read, the hx35 will put down 600 with a twin scroll. I know extreme psi sells the BEP hot side for the hx40 for mhi flange and t3. Can the mhi put down 600. I have a fp manifold and want to keep it. I know i can get the adapter they make. Any reccomendations would be great. I have all the supporting mods. I'm building my motor over the winter im just trying to figure this turbo stuff out. Heres what I read. Can the hx35 put 600?

HX35:

The 8blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on 1995-1998 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 52 lb/min according to the compressor map. The bolton BEP housing (0.55 a/r) is enough to push the limit of the compressor. There's several 500whp 8blade hx35 cars out there with the bolt on housing. It reaches 20+psi by 3500rpms in 3rd with 272 cams. Smaller cams would equal a faster spool speed in most cases.

The 7blade hx35 has a 56mm compressor inducer. This is found on the 1999-2002 cummins manual pickups. The compressor flows 60lb/min according to the compressor map and logged results from a member here. The bolton BEP housing with the hx35 turbine wheel do not SEAM to have enough flow to really reach the potential of 60lb/min. But many have logged over 50lb/min so far and seen 500whp. The stock hx35 12cm^2 twinscroll turbine housing is a t3 flange housing. This mated to a NON-divided runner manifold has produced a 132mph trap speed with a full weight 1g AWD. This is about 600whp. So the flow is there with the stock housing if you use a non-divided manifold. The spool speed of the 7blade hx35 is similar to the 8blade hx35 with 20+ psi by 3500rpms in the bolton housing and by 4000rpms with the stock housing with a non-divided manifold.

My comp cover looks different than most. The other ones are more round. And the outlet I see on most are a vband and mine isn't. Was just wondering if it's the 58 mm or 60mm.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos can't decipher the difference in 2mm....be realistic. Unless one of us lives closer to your house than whenever you're at right now, posting here isn't going to help you one bit until you measure the wheel yourself.

I'll measure the next time I'm out. To be honest I figured that you saw them so much since you deal with it everyday that you would know. But the compressor cover, is there a reason or different types? Because I see some have a vband and some don't.

My question to op is, why are you so gung ho on the 600hp number? Is this mostly for bragging rights? For "I have a 600hp car" status? Is it a dd? Track car? You seem pretty dead set on 600 with seemingly little knowledge. Not trying to bash or belittle you at all so please don't take offense. I've only read 2pages of this thread so far and all I've read is "will I reach 600".
As stated above,stay clear of pte journal bearings, they grenade before you can enjoy it. If your going pte go ball bearing, I run the 6235 billet, basically it's a BB 6262 mated with a 35r turbine wheel. Hits full spool around 4400 and is a 680hp capable turbo. If your dead set on holset then go with a 60mm hx40, should give you happy results you seek.

I'll measure the next time I'm out. To be honest I figured that you saw them so much since you deal with it everyday that you would know.
I'm lucky enough to still be 20/20 without corrective lenses, but that still doesn't grant me the ability to measure things with my eyes. It's like me asking you to separate the Big 16G, 18G, and 20G wheels only by looking at an individual picture of each wheel.

But the compressor cover, is there a reason or different types? Because I see some have a vband and some don't.
One accepts a v-band, one accepts a hose connection. Yours is the latter.

My question to op is, why are you so gung ho on the 600hp number? Is this mostly for bragging rights? For "I have a 600hp car" status? Is it a dd? Track car? You seem pretty dead set on 600 with seemingly little knowledge. Not trying to bash or belittle you at all so please don't take offense. I've only read 2pages of this thread so far and all I've read is "will I reach 600".
As stated above,stay clear of pte journal bearings, they grenade before you can enjoy it. If your going pte go ball bearing, I run the 6235 billet, basically it's a BB 6262 mated with a 35r turbine wheel. Hits full spool around 4400 and is a 680hp capable turbo. If your dead set on holset then go with a 60mm hx40, should give you happy results you seek.

It's not about bragging rights. This is a strip car. Everybody does 400-500. I want to do something that isn't easy. I'm about a challenge and pushing things. It's not a competition with me. It's just a hobby. I want to do something that few people do. And by no means am I a expert. I'm still learning but learning everyday. Right now I'm at 400whp.

I'm lucky enough to still be 20/20 without corrective lenses, but that still doesn't grant me the ability to measure things with my eyes. It's like me asking you to separate the Big 16G, 18G, and 20G wheels only by looking at an individual picture of each wheel.

One accepts a v-band, one accepts a hose connection. Yours is the latter.

That's what I was looking for. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks justin.

Right now I'm at 400whp.
With a Small 16G and 2.5" exhaust? Not possible. You either need to update your profile or drive as quickly as possible to the most accurate dyno in your area. :D

I agree with Justin, 400 on a small 16G is just not attainable. It is difficult to reach 400 with an evo3. You have to be a really good tuner to hit 400 on an evo3, and to my knowledge the small 16g is 36-38lb/min zone good for max 350hp, big 16g 40lb/min zone good for 375ish, evo3 42lb/min for 400max...these arnt exact numbers but a generalization, you may be able to squeeze 380 on a small with a really good tune but the turbo will be out of its efficiency range and pretty much become a hair dryer.

400 at the crank not at the wheels. I know what I'm doing. This isn't my first rodeo.

So, where did people get the idea that you were claiming 400 at the wheels?

Maybe, from this:

Right now I'm at 400whp.

I guess it's true that this isn't your first rodeo, because the many times that you've been thrown from your horse appears to have caused some memory issues.

Not that I buy 400 at the crank.

All the logs I have saved are of problems not pulls. This is a turbo question thread. Not dyno talk or tuning.
I thought the thread wasn't about racing, but rather, of your own admission, making 600 hp on a dyno. You are starting to confuse me now? :hmm: Not about dyno talk? Sounds like you are multiplying horsepower. And steve, stop it buddy, my sides hurt from laughing. :D

Evo3 16gs have an incredibly hard time hitting 400whp. Its just blowing super hot air in the upper thresholds. You need a TON of mods and a perfect tune to hit 400. Just go with a pte6262BB and get a dyno. Or an hx40...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back