The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Hks vs eBay exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudds2k

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2008
Long Island, New_York
Was looking for an exhaust upgrade and I usually buy whatever is cheaper since "it's all just pipes" but I do not want any sort of drone or rasp.
I was looking at the hks hi-power exhaust and came across this "eBay " exhaust
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=361240955890

can anyone advice me if this is complete crap?

This is for a 1g awd by the way

I guess I could do that if it sounds terrible. The muffler alone is 250 from ace

I'm not building a race car. I want a slightly faster than stock car

The no name exhaust I posted looks like a knock off of the srs exhaust.
Do most downpipes mate with these exhausts? I'm guessing some exhausts eliminate the cat

I deleted my cat and maid a custom test pipe. I have a rre down pipe. If you delete cat you will need a longer test pipe. It's an easy fix. I don't regret getting this exhaust. If you know how to weld the test pipe will be cheap to make yourself. Just spend on a good down pipe if your changing that. I got a eBay one and the flange warped on me.

Last edited:
Most of your questions can be found by doing a minimal amount of searching, which I recommend. You get what you pay for so I would not be at all surprised if that exhaust required some fab work to achieve proper fitment. Like mantega said, you have to pay to play (yes even in the dsm world, contrary to popular belief) so do it once, do it right.

I'm the process of taking a "$150 eBay special" exhaust off of my GST daily. The core rusted out and it blew all of the packing out of the muffler in just shy of two years despite the system still looking nice from the exterior. It's loud as shit and I can't take it anymore.

You get what you pay for.

I ran i believe SRS on my talon without a problem. Sound was surprisingly great, id recommend it. Not worth paying much for HKS or any other brand.

Yeah I searched. eBay exhaust doesn't really work for finding a specific one thread
I have read that the hks hi power kit is 2.5". I'll probably end up getting that. I was thinking about buying the cheapo exhaust and hacking it up to fit the stock muffler with a cut out before it

I'm done with loud raspy cars though

Or the srs exhaust. Seems to be 100 and change cheaper than hks

Dump truck status means my lady will want to ride in it

Or drive it because "I bought the car for you too....we can share it"

I'll google it when I get home.
If the hks was a full 3 inch I would buy that without even thinking about it

I don't really know what you are saying. Sorry

First off, nice cat.
Second, Ebay parts biggest issue is quality of material compared to brand name. So you can expect a short life, rust, and general falling apartness to come from ebay exhaust.
Third, if you have a raspy tinny sound coming from any turbo car something is really wrong. As we all know, turbo engines love open exhaust and even with open exhaust are still relatively quiet because the turbo absorbs most of the sound. So if your turbo DSM sounds like a ghetto Honda there is something wrong.
Last, if you really want to save money, just buy some do-it-yourself pipe and put together your own custom exhaust system. Chances are it will hold up better anyway.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back