The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Hit Pothole bent rim still vibrations

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrimerPLus

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 28, 2011
Tokyo, Asia
Last week I hit a pothole at about 70mph. It was hard, it bent my rim and I could immediately tell because it was vibrating like crazy. Got a new rim but it still feels weird not as bad obviously but I can tell that it is not normal. Mostly at 40mph and up. Not exactly sure what it can be but I noticed also that my exhaust has a weird oscillating noise. I think due to vibrations.
Not exactly sure to go about finding the issue but I was changing my oil today and was poking around and noticed this.
The driver side front lower control arm seems to be moving. I don't know if this is normal or not. Also I see white lithium grease smeared everywhere.
I notice the vibrations while driving on driver side, the mirrors are shaky, my tablet holder that sits on dash is shaky something is not right.

I tried to twist and turn the wheel by hand while its in the air but they are solid.

If anyone has ideas I can check let me know.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Your ball joint is screwed up. Time for a new lower control arm. Your drive axle boot looks suspect as well. I'd pull the drive axle & check it out while putting in a new LCA. Also I wouldn't drive it till fixed so more damage doesn't happen from a LCA failure.

Last edited:
Did you hit it with the rear tire as well?
If it we me I would do an alignment and check toe,caster and camber after ball joint replacement and have all of my tires balance checked. I would also remove strut assembly to see if strut is bent. By the pic of the wheel it wasn't a soft impact so I'm sure the blow was absorbed by all front end parts!

Compression arm balljoint is shot if you can move it up and down like that. It probably won't take much force for it to pop loose completely. I'd suggest expediting repairs before you hit more potholes. Check your axle boot for rips or tears as well. Any tears will let in moisture and dirt and cause CV joint failure. If you find a tear, I'd suggest getting a new boot if the joint is still tight, clean the old grease out and repack it with new grease and seal it with the new boot. Also as precautionary, double check your lateral lower arm as the balljoint in that also has a tendency for failure.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back