The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Highway Miles VS City Miles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranoidTSi

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2002
none, Utah
I don't understand why when people sell cars they are insistant in telling people "Mostly Highway Miles"...why exactly is it easier on a car or better on the car when compared to City Miles?

I don't either.

I'd never buy a car with higher milage for a lower price just because they were "Highway miles' only.

Generally, there is less transmission shifting and RPM changes on a car that is mostly highway driven.

Whereas, in the city, you are constantly starting and stopping, which in turn will cause more wear of parts.

It's becuase there is less wear on some major parts.

1. If it's manual there's obviously less wear on the clutch.
2. The suspension would be alot less worn, considering there's alot more potholes and bumps during city driving then highway driving.
3. Frequent stoping and starting of the engine is harmful to it, so when a car is driving mostly highway miles obviously it's not started and stopped in a short period of time so I would definitly buy a car that was cheaper becuase of highway miles.

Only problem is you never know if they're telling the truth :p

jasoncitrano said:
It's becuase there is less wear on some major parts.

1. If it's manual there's obviously less wear on the clutch.
2. The suspension would be alot less worn, considering there's alot more potholes and bumps during city driving then highway driving.
3. Frequent stoping and starting of the engine is harmful to it, so when a car is driving mostly highway miles obviously it's not started and stopped in a short period of time so I would definitly buy a car that was cheaper becuase of highway miles.

Only problem is you never know if they're telling the truth :p

Yeah, it basicly has to do with the start/stopping. Your car much rather have you stay at 3500 rpm on the highway then always stop and going from 1000 to 4500 or whenever you shift on the street. :thumb:

paranoidTSi said:
I don't understand why when people sell cars they are insistant in telling people "Mostly Highway Miles"...why exactly is it easier on a car or better on the car when compared to City Miles?
Because they want more of your money than you should have to give for that car, and it's a term that can be tossed-off in the way one can say, 'Well, he was a murderer, but he didn't dismember anyone afterward."

High miles are high miles. It's only been in about the last fifteen or twenty years that cars, metalurgy, lubrication, fuels and and fuel controls have come into a harmonious concordance such that engines commonly last a quarter-million miles. It used to be a miracle if you heard of one that'd gone 75K without at least a valve job, and usually a ring-and-valve. This is a lot of why I say synthetic oils are overkill- they're just not needed. I'm not sure which has contributed the most to the current longevity, but my suspects are the removal of tetraethyl lead from fuels, closed-loop feedback fuel injection doing away with mechanical chokes, better oil additive packages, and better ring and block alloys.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back