The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

High rpm vibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey medlen

Probationary Member
Dec 22, 2016
North royalton, Ohio
I'm a noob and new to this forum

Anyways I was driving my talon today and found a nice open stretch of road and opened it up . what's happening is right around 5500 6000 I am getting this vibration. Its more of a droning vibration but it never happend before every search has came up with a balance shaft issue but they all say the vibration is in the lower rpm range (3000 rpms) .. It seems as it happens around full boost ...

I'm going to check for boost leaks ,exhaust leak and the alignment of the balance shafts if anybody else has an idea of what else could make this noise please chime in if needed I can send link to a video

Does this vibration happen at the same rpm in every gear? And is it only when you put a large load on the motor or any time you hit that certain rpm?

I can't tell if its doing it not under load at certain rpm in neutral cause of my launch control that I cant seem to get rid of but when I'm rolling I will try

I would start first with checking U joints and drive shaft carrier bearings for play or binding. And exhaust for a hole or crack. Just some simple things to get out of the way.

If fuel were cutting out you would likely see some leaning on your afr gauge. If timeing is being pulled you should see that in link. How do your spark plugs look and have they been changed lately?

Don't rule out a possible bad wheel bearing also since it's easy to check. Do you get vibration in the steering wheel at all? I've never had misaligned balance shafts, but on my last car (6 bolt spyder) I did have a 7 bolt in it for a little while and the balance shaft belt happened to break. I was still able to drive the car, but could tell it was what was causing the extra noise, and vibrations. I had vibrations at all rpms above maybe 2500 since the rear shaft was turning, but the front wasn't. I say if you haven't already, check for a broken balance shaft belt. I didn't even know mine had broke when it did, I just happened to be in that area checking other things.

Plugs are brand new I adjusted my timing sliders to compensate for knock ...I just leveled out my fuel trims and used a stock evo I maf comp template and I'm going to make adjustments from there ...and added a little timing ..also took out some boost in gonna see if it still does it ..its been raining the past couple of days so I haven't been able to look at balance shaft and check my cam timing

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back