The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

High rev, missed gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohhchhittt

Proven Member
Oct 20, 2014
Naples, Florida
Last night I was driving around I was in third going a good speed and went to shift to 4th gear but missed and went in to 2nd. It revved to like 12 grand I'm guessing and then just turned off. It felt like a big jolt and then just coasted in to a parking lot. It turns over fine but won't start. No leaking fluid, no smoke no knocking of any kind. I am thinking it jumped timing or fuel cut off. That's where I am starting anyway. One question? Is there a fuel cut off switch some were. I know a few of my past cars had one and all I had to do was reset the button. Is there one on the eclipse also. Oops sorry it's a 96 eclipse gst.
Thanks guys

Yikes!!! Check your timing belt and gear. As far as fuel cut off don't think that could or would trigger that but man that's a tough drop in gear. Press the pressure relief on the fuel rail make sure it has fuel pressurized in the line. Maybe check your spark plugs and possibly compression test real quick.

Yes true I can't tell if it won't start. I was just going off the time right after it stoped running. as of right now it does every thing right but start and I mean as turning over. It seems like its not getting either fuel or spark. Is there a fuel switch on these. Also where is the pressure relief on the fuel rail.

How would I check the timing to see if it is right or at least close. The belt is still on and still perfect. No teeth missing or anything.

For the timing, take of timing covers and spark plugs and turn engine by hand to make sure the timing lines up, paying close attention to the marks on the camshafts and lower timing marks. If you feel any binding don't turn it anymore cause you could cause more damage.

Ok so timing covers off, rolled the crank over till the marks line up, every thing looks good there. Removed the valve cover to see if there were broken anything, all looks good. Spark plugs are a little burnt, replacing them (dam champion plugs). Checked fuel lines, injectors and connecters. Every thing good there. Checked spark from cables. No good, only two are firing. Bad coil pack. Ordered two new ones. Hope that is all it was. Still open for ideas on what else to check. Oh Ya oil and coolent both clean and free of each other

Ok so timing covers off, rolled the crank over till the marks line up, every thing looks good there. Removed the valve cover to see if there were broken anything, all looks good. Spark plugs are a little burnt, replacing them (dam champion plugs). Checked fuel lines, injectors and connecters. Every thing good there. Checked spark from cables. No good, only two are firing. Bad coil pack. Ordered two new ones. Hope that is all it was. Still open for ideas on what else to check. Oh Ya oil and coolent both clean and free of each other
Well seems like everything is A okay!

Run a leakdown test or compression test, just on the off chance you flung a valve down n hit a piston,

Ok so the coil packs came in. I will be installing them this weekend. Will keep every one updated on the out come. Pray to the car gods the coil packs were the problem

Ok so the coil packs came in. I will be installing them this weekend. Will keep every one updated on the out come. Pray to the car gods the coil packs were the problem

This is off topic on your diagnosis, but my car was having issues going from third to fourth ending up in second. I replaced all my shifter bushings and I haven't had that issue anymore. Just an fyi for preventing it from happening again. Hope that helps, good luck.

Yes any info helps, that will be something I will keep an eye out for. I know this time it was me shifting wrong like a dumb @$$. Learned my lesson real quick.

You could have floated valves. Even with one bad coil pack it should try and do something. If it cranks real easy check compression. How does it feel turning over by hand?

Turning over it was real tight with a little slack every now and then. Seemed to be working the way it is supposed to. But I don't have a compression gauge yet, on my shopping list.

What is floating a piston?

It is not floating a piston, It is floating a valve.

Floating a valve is when the engine is over reved and you have uncontrolled motion of the valve.

Simply the cam is no longer controlling when and how long and how far the valve opens and closes.

With missing a gear, and the engine in an over reved state, the valve gets slug open, and the head of the valve hits the piston.

Oops my bad, that's what I ment to say, LOL. Oh ok. Is that some thing I would be able to see or only be able to tell by the compression gauge. I did remove my valve cover and every thing looks perfect so far. But of course I can't see inside.
I have a friend coming over Sunday with a gauge and a code reader to read my codes. So if my coil packs are not the reason we should find the reason then I hope

You can do a "Redneck" compression test, it will give you an idea but not the full story.

DO THIS only after you have confirmed the timing belt has not skipped any teeth!!!!

Remove all 4 spark plugs
Disable fuel/spark
Wad up paper towels kind of firmly and stuff into the spark plug tube
Spin the engine over with the starter.

The paper towels should "pop" out of the spark plug wells, if it does not, then you have an issue allowing compression to leak out (bent valve)

So I replaced both coil packs and new spark plugs. Gave her a jump and she started right up. Thank full that was it. I turned it off to see if my battery had charged and it didn't so I have a dead battery now. Not a big deal so I jump started it again. But this time... Nothing at all. Wtf. I get out and look.. I hooked up the jumper cables wrong. Took them off and fixed it, try again. Ok it started great. Take the cables off and it died. Try again. Jumps. Take the cables off and it dies. Fried my altenator. What a dumb @$$ I am. But it does start. Thought you guys may want a update and thought my stupidity would give you a good laugh.

Ya I have no problem admitting when I do it, LOL. I did it.
Ya I am glad its running.
No compression test yet but I did pick up a compression gauge. After I replace the alt and battery and can keep it running this time ill update with the results. Keep a eye out. Hope that is still ok to

Ah well guessing by what you're describing the alternator was probably like "WHOOAAAA" when it got spun so fast and just fried itself, and probably the coil pack although that's surprising because i'd assume it would have blown a bunch of fuses first. Oh well, at least you lucked out this time.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back