The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

high flow fuel filter best micron?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

compression

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2004
vero beach, Florida
i found this very informative thread stating that 10 micron is needed

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216886&highlight=high+flow+fuel+filter

but im having alittle trouble finding a -8 fuel filter 10 micro the best i can find is 40 micron

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_353582_-1

and its only 29.99 would this be ok to work with? im looking for a high 9 low 10 setup on fuel , going with a single bosch 044 to begin with if i encounter any problems i will just switch to 2, the fuel cell i have has to -8 outlets anyways . so anyways the point is will 40 micro filter enough to not kill my fuel injectors? not going to be daily driven but probably driven quite a bit for fun.

and another question is, would the filter be best before or after the pump? i was also thinking one right before and one right after the pump with the 40 micron they are only 30$ a pop as long as this wont restrict my fuel flow i wouldnt mind having 2. any inputs welcome, thanks in advance tuners.

damn that is a little more expensive very nice piece though, but my question is will 2 of the ones i showed work well? i think im going to go with the 40 micron filters unless anybody feels that that is just wrong to do? chime in any input is welcome.

well most in tank pumps have fuel socks which is a filter before the pump. this is going to be an inline fuel pump. and the filter is just going to be cushion clamped to the bottom of my car if i did get the fuel labs, the other filter doesn't need any cushion clamping or fastening hardware

i didnt see anything about why its recommended all i see is why its not necessary

Where do you plan on finding dirty gas? It's filtered coming out of the cracking tower, it's filtered going into the storage tanks, into the delivery trucks, out of the trucks and again from the station's tanks to the pump and into your tank, which has its own pickup screen on its way to the fuel filter. You'll need much larger than 20 microns to get stuck in an injector- they're constantly being blown out under high pressure with clean gasoline, one of the most effective solvents available.
Find a different fixation.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_333286_-1 i was also thinking about mounting one of these instead under my car near the fuel pump ( probably before. it also filters 10 microns and flows 90 gph ( 340 lph ) at 5psi , withstands 200 psi, and flow more at more gph right? not like you would need any more. and for only 32 $ isnt bad says recomended for carb only but whats the difference

yea i think im going to go with the 40 then. see how it works out , race gas only for this thing maybe a splash of 93 every now and then but i doubt it.

so you strongly suggest 1 10 micron filter instead of 2 40's? one before and after the pump? plus my fuel cell has pretty fine foam in it.

Fuel cell foam doesn't filter fuel.

You really should get a 10 micron. For EFI, I wouldn't trust anything more coarse for my post filter.

An ideal set-up for EFI goes:

Coarse element pre-filter ----> Fuel pump ----> Fine element post-filter ----> Injectors

And if you have a large fuel pump, you are also going to want to have a large amount of surface area on the element itself. I personally, wouldn't use that Jegs filter. It's too small and too coarse.

THIS is the filter I run on on my car (ALL40216). 10 micron, fast flowing, large element surface area, and the element is replaceable. Price isn't bad either.

Go with a 10 micron, I personally have a 30 micron pre-fuelpump, then fuel flows through the pump, through the line, into a -8an Trickflow 10 micron filter. The trickflow is about the length of a pop can but thinner, and is very affordable. I was originally going to use a Golan filter but after some research I figured the more volume the filter has the better so I ended up going to the larger trickflow.

Here's a link to the trickflow filter.

Fuel cell foam doesn't filter fuel.

You really should get a 10 micron. For EFI, I wouldn't trust anything more coarse for my post filter.

An ideal set-up for EFI goes:

Coarse element pre-filter ----> Fuel pump ----> Fine element post-filter ----> Injectors

And if you have a large fuel pump, you are also going to want to have a large amount of surface area on the element itself. I personally, wouldn't use that Jegs filter. It's too small and too coarse.

THIS is the filter I run on on my car (ALL40216). 10 micron, fast flowing, large element surface area, and the element is replaceable. Price isn't bad either.

oh i like that one, ill get that for sure. and what about before the pump micron wise? where does it say 10 micron?

and i also would like to find a decent priced 100 micron ( unless otherwise recommended ) pre pump filter, i dont want to take any shortcuts in this build i want to do my research before just buying parts.

oh i like that one, ill get that for sure. and what about before the pump micron wise? where does it say 10 micron?

and i also would like to find a decent priced 100 micron ( unless otherwise recommended ) pre pump filter, i dont want to take any shortcuts in this build i want to do my research before just buying parts.

I just noticed that they do not list the micron rating on the Allstar website. Not sure why... But, the paper element has a 10 micron rating and the stainless element has a 63 micron rating.

What fuel pump are you using? And in-line or an in-tank?

EDIT: Your profile says you have a re-wired EVO 8 pump. That means you already have a prefilter attached to the pump. The pump's pick-up also doubles as a pre-filter. So, all you really need is a 10-micron post filter (ALL40216) and you're all set.

Here's a picture of that Allstar filter in my engine bay.

i found this very informative thread stating that 10 micron is needed

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216886&highlight=high+flow+fuel+filter

but im having alittle trouble finding a -8 fuel filter 10 micro the best i can find is 40 micron

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_353582_-1

and its only 29.99 would this be ok to work with? im looking for a high 9 low 10 setup on fuel , going with a single bosch 044 to begin with if i encounter any problems i will just switch to 2, the fuel cell i have has to -8 outlets anyways . so anyways the point is will 40 micro filter enough to not kill my fuel injectors? not going to be daily driven but probably driven quite a bit for fun.

im going to go with a single bosch 044 maybe switching to 2 if i encounter any problems. so it doesnt have a prefilter and i kinda would like to have one, but is it 100 % necessary ? i would like the pump to last along time. damn thats big boy id mount it under the car right before the firewall, or somewhere under the rear seats.

im going to go with a single bosch 044 maybe switching to 2 if i encounter any problems. so it doesnt have a prefilter and i kinda would like to have one, but is it 100 % necessary ? i would like the pump to last along time. damn thats big boy id mount it under the car right before the firewall, or somewhere under the rear seats.
Just use a smaller, coarse element filter before the pump. Something like the 85 micron Earls filter would be just fine for a pre-filter.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back