2G help.

Posted by my1st2genGSX, Mar 19, 2017

Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. my1st2genGSX

my1st2genGSX Proven Member

Joined Aug 4, 2016
    San Antonio, Texas
    So, I will try to get as much detail as possible.

So, I was driving from my parents house and then on the way to my house, my car died. I did hear a metal on metal noise for a quick second, then all helI broke loose.

I have checked for the basics...air, fuel, but no spark. I get fuel to the filter so I'm assuming it's getting to the injectors, but that doesn't answer why I have no spark. I have already replace the ICM, due to when I tested it, it didn't pass the test with reading 0 ohms. I will be replacing the cam/crank sensor, instead of testing them, since I have to pull the crank pully and timing cover. If that doesn't fix it, the only other thing I could think of would be then replacement of the ECM. Is there anything I've missed?

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

20g   manual
  2. 19gsx91

19gsx91 Proven Member

Joined Apr 20, 2011
    Walworth, New York
    Are you sure the timing belt didn't let go? Does the car have compression? Gotta start from the beginning and move forward, a metal and metal noise for a quick second could be a lot of things, not many of them particularly good.

My DSM:
    1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

292 whp   264 lb/ft
  3. my1st2genGSX

Joined Aug 4, 2016
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have checked timing, and it's good. Compression has been low since I bought the vehicle..but not done all cylinders yet.

I should say I totaled my daily and then with work it's difficult to get time to look at it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    My DSM:

Street Build

20g   manual
  4. my1st2genGSX

Joined Aug 4, 2016
    San Antonio, Texas
    Any other opinions on solving the spark issue? Other than concentrating on a possible bigger issue with the metal noise.

My DSM:

Street Build

20g   manual
  5. Boostedmm17

Boostedmm17 Proven Member

Joined Feb 6, 2017
    Lincolnton, North Carolina
    I'd check the crank sensor personally, if the timing belt and all looks good.

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST

Street Build

manual
  6. Lou98GSX

Lou98GSX Proven Member

Joined Mar 13, 2004
    Carmel, New York
    If you still have the balance shafts then that belt breaks and takes out the crank sensor .

7. Murdertalon

Murdertalon Proven Member

Joined Jul 7, 2016
    East side, Washington
    If cam and crank sensors are good then you should get spark, This actually makes me think you need to look at crank sensor and check end play. If CW develops it takes out the crank sensor and you wont have spark. If you can move the crank (pry on the pulley) pushing it outward from behind it with a long screwdriver that is real bad.

How is your oil, changing it often? smell it, if your dipstick smells like fuel that's a sign your oil isn't doing bearings any favors.

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  8. my1st2genGSX

Joined Aug 4, 2016
    San Antonio, Texas
    I routinely change the oil every 4-4500 miles with Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30 oil, and signs of fuel smell. I still have the balance shaft, and will be working on rebuilding this motor and eliminating it when I do the rebuild. I will be checking the sensors tomorrow. If it a bigger issue like 19gsx91 said I will be doing everything differently...meanin an early rebuild.

Thanks for the input.

My DSM:

Street Build

20g   manual
  9. Murdertalon

Murdertalon Proven Member

Joined Jul 7, 2016
    East side, Washington
    I have read some on the changes in Zinc content for oil and most all oils now use less Zinc which isn't so Ideal for our cars. Valvoline HighZinc VR1 20w50 is what I run some people are of the opinion they like the thinner oil and recommend VR1 10w30 it is considered a race oil and offers better protection for our cars. Its generally accepted that mobil1 used to be the oil of choice but after they redesigned the formula DSMers have gone away from it. After I did a ton of research on the matter I will only be using VR1 and mitsubishi made oil filters.

https://www.summitracing.com sells it for best price I have found.

I just order cases of mitsubishi filters (8 per case?) from dsmgraveyard and then oil as needed.

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

T25   manual
  10. my1st2genGSX

Joined Aug 4, 2016
    San Antonio, Texas
    Cool I appreciate the info.

My DSM:

Street Build

20g   manual
  11. tunernewb92

tunernewb92 Proven Member

Joined Sep 10, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

16g   manual
    Murdertalon likes this.
  12. my1st2genGSX

Joined Aug 4, 2016
    San Antonio, Texas
    So, I appreciate everyone's input on what to check. Crank position sensor was the culprit. Will be saving up to get a rotation assembly from JAM and a decent build on the head from a place in here in San Antonio. Again Thanks for the help. And I will be changing out the oil and try VR1 10w30. Thanks again.

My DSM:

Street Build

20g   manual