The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonballer

Proven Member
Apr 20, 2015
Vaughan, ON_Canada
Okay so here's my question I'm havin a problem with the car and having a low rough idle as I try to rev it it seems to not push and the boost gage it at 5° when it's usually at 11° any idea of what to check ? I've herd ppl telling me to try a boost leak

I don't see a profile of the car so we aren't able to give as much feedback. Year, model, mods? When did the problem start and was it closely related to some event? In the absence of that people will give you general advice that could apply to any car. Yes I think a vacuum or boost leak could cause the problem so a boost leak test would be a good place to start. Problems with ignition (wires plugs coil packs ) could also be a culprit and are easy to check. Restricted intake or exhaust? Fuel delivery? Reams of info on this site on how to troubleshoot all of the above. PS if you don't have access to a boost leak tester , or don't have the parts to make one, you can visually check your vacuum lines and selectively pinch them to give clues ( some folks even spray em with wd40 or similar), probably best to just make a tester though.

I don't see a profile of the car so we aren't able to give as much feedback. Year, model, mods? When did the problem start and was it closely related to some event? In the absence of that people will give you general advice that could apply to any car. Yes I think a vacuum or boost leak could cause the problem so a boost leak test would be a good place to start. Problems with ignition (wires plugs coil packs ) could also be a culprit and are easy to check. Restricted intake or exhaust? Fuel delivery? Reams of info on this site on how to troubleshoot all of the above. PS if you don't have access to a boost leak tester , or don't have the parts to make one, you can visually check your vacuum lines and selectively pinch them to give clues ( some folks even spray em with wd40 or similar), probably best to just make a tester though.
its a 1997 gst model completely stock besides the aftermarket intake greddy exhaust. so basically what happened was I was shifting gears from 2nd to 3rd on a turn as I was also boosting and I heard a pop sound(i believe a misfire) and it wouldn't give as much gas as I had my foot on the pedal. I stopped the car, didn't turn it off and it was idling really rough. I have a boost gage and I was looking at that too at the time and it would normally sit at 11ohms, as it was stopped it was sitting at 5ohms and bouncing around, i wasn't able to drive the car it was really weak so i got it towed long story i know LOL but if i can get some help i would appreciate it.

Sorry for the double post, but all the systems that mauispyder may also affect your idle.

its a 1997 gst model completely stock besides the aftermarket intake greddy exhaust. so basically what happened was I was shifting gears from 2nd to 3rd on a turn as I was also boosting and I heard a pop sound(i believe a misfire) and it wouldn't give as much gas as I had my foot on the pedal. I stopped the car, didn't turn it off and it was idling really rough. I have a boost gage and I was looking at that too at the time and it would normally sit at 11ohms, as it was stopped it was sitting at 5ohms and bouncing around, i wasn't able to drive the car it was really weak so i got it towed long story i know LOL but if i can get some help i would appreciate it.

sorry another thing i wanted to add was when i had my car parked in my lot i was trying to figure out the problem myself i seen a video of some guy unplugging his maf sensor and car seemed to run somewhat better. i ended up trying it out and as i unplugged it, it seemed to run better and once i would plug it back in it would idle rough again or the car would die

You popped off part of the intake pipe most likely. Happened to me in a 2nd gear pull when I bought the car and got it running. Didn't no what it was, it was in limp mode while I drove it home. Found pipe on top side of inter cooler had popped off.

Check all piping, and do a boost leak test. You will find your issue:thumb:

+1 to checking the pipes. Even though the pop sounded very bad probably a pip slipping out of a connector somewhere down the line. happens all the time on the ambulances I work on LOL. no boost + massive air leak = no power and very bad idle

Wow you guys are a bunch of great help thank you all so much I found the leak ! It was the intercooler pipe underneath the driver side headlight! Now the mission is taking off the bumper which I've started doing and tomorrow I will finish off plunging the pipe back to the intercooler. Any suggestions on what else I can use to hold the bumper upright instead of having to go thru taking off all the screws LOL?

And especially the hassle of the headlights I want something else to replace the headlight screws if you guys have any ideas I would appreciate it thanks once again for the help from everyone!

Agree with popped pipe. I popped my lower ic pipe right after I changed my timing belt and almost freaked out. I had all the same symptoms as you. Easy fix, now I keep a screwdriver in the car.
Haha you saved my ass man I went along with what you said I found the problem I'll be inserting the pipe back in when I have light tmrw any other suggestions on what I could use to hold the headlights and the bumper instead of going threw the hassle of all the screws ?

I love it when you can fix a problem for basically free! Good job jasonballer! Yeah the lights and bumper suck a bit. I found a great pictorial online re: steps of eclipse bumper removal, just googled it. I don't know of alternative attachment methods for bumper/lights, but I did take advantage of the bumper being off and replaced the headlight assemblies which were totally cloudy after 16 years. Yeah the people on this forum are great!

check for boot leaks and also test the isc on the throttle body. could even be as simple as a dirty throttle body. get a can of 2+2 and spray the crap out of it.

Yeah I haven't heard of any alternative methods to holding the bumper and lights up unfortunately. I mean you can definitely do with skipping out on installing a few pesky ones like the body clips under the headlights and some people even skip putting on the bottom bold for the headlights. but hey its all up to you on what you put back in it.

Yeah I ended up not putting the bolts back in under the headlight that hold the bumper and that one screw on the far end of the headlight to much of a hassle the car is up and running now after a month trying to figure the problem out and seems to pull harder it ended being one of the t bolt clamps have been rusted and snapped loose now I'm trynna find where can I buy another one

Here's the broken one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 71
A friend of mine had a similar issue occur on is 91 Talon. Come to find out later on when we got under the car and his intercooler piping was worn through by his wheel. Of course I told him he was going to have to fab up a bracket or find a new one seeing how his was missing after putting everything back together from a accident he had with a deer.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back