The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Help with Autocross setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black95TSIawd

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 28, 2003
Dirty, New_Jersey
Started autocrossing this year. Its pretty damn fun. Have 4 events under my belt and would like to get a better understanding of suspension setup. My last event was yesterday and it was in the rain. I feel that the rain really exploited the flaws in my car's setup, despite finishing 6th out of 15 cars in my class. The biggest issue is front tire judder/skipping while understeering. Now, I know that our cars will inherently push, but yesterday was bad. I had to enter a few corners extremely slow in order to combat the weird tire judder I kept experiencing. My typical dry tire pressures are 38-40psi up front and 31-33psi out back. I went down to 35f and 30r and it seemed to get worse. (no compressor so they stayed there) I took out some rebound in the back to stop the ass end from snap spinning and it seemed to help. I did the same up front to help with the tire judder and it got worse. :idontknow: I set the rebound back up to where it usually is and it got better, but not perfect. I ASSumed that softening up the front with less tire pressure and less rebound would help, but it didnt. What am I doing wrong? What am I not understanding? I would have preferred to use my AWD advantage in the rain, but that didn't happen. FTD was set by a GTI in my class.

MY Setup is as follows:

DG style koni coilovers
800lb front springs
350lb rear springs
Front rebound is usually up a quarter turn down from full hard.
Rear rebound is between half to 3/4 full hard depending on how the ass end feels in transitions.
RM bars front and back.
Street tires. (not the best, but not all seasons either.)
-2.7 camber up front with about -1.4 out back.
Near zero toe all around.

Sometimes I wonder if I have too much front spring or not enough rear. The thought of jumping up to 400lb springs has crossed my mind. I've also thought to just shutup and learn the car this year and make changes later, but i'm so impatient at times. :D ROFL

What is your ride height in front? I was getting a lot of side to side hopping from the front at the NNJR event, so I raised my car about a 1/4 inch. Car handled great for the Porsche event a few weeks later. Comparing times to drivers at both events I was over a second faster.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sam, I noticed similar tire contact in my wheel well while removing my upper arms last week. Yours does seem worse than mine. I raised the front an 1/8th inch and it seems to have taken care of that. ( You should have came yesterday. :) )

One person mentioned that I'm running too much rebound, especially up front, and not enough tire pressure. I'm going to give this a shot next event. I have a feeling its my tires that didn't like the cold/wet surface and caused the jitter. It is possible. These tires suck when cold and it was in the mid 40's with the rain yesterday.

Cold temps and higher tire pressures could be the culprit. It may also be too much steering input, you are a noobie after all :p

I'm crossing my fingers that the SM car will be done this week, if so I'll be there this weekend.

Cold temps and higher tire pressures could be the culprit. It may also be too much steering input, you are a noobie after all :p

I'm crossing my fingers that the SM car will be done this week, if so I'll be there this weekend.

You're the only instructor to ever ride with me so its your fault! :|:thumb:

Yea, bring the SM car. I don't need another fast guy in my class. ROFL

The fact that you are driving your car at the limit of tire adhesion is excellent. Your questions are right on the money. Best advise:
1. Tires - read what others are using.
2. Tires - your best investment web search the auto-mags for testing (2nd set wheels/tires for autocross)
3. Tires - make sure you are utilizing them (purchase & use a tire temperature gauge).

Tires are everything. If the tread temps are not uniform inside/outside... adjust your camber. If your fronts are hotter than your rears... move your battery to the rear. Any suspension changes should go towards maximizing your tire capacity. Porsche 911 braking is so good because the rear static weight becomes closer to 50/50 during braking.

After tires... your next best investment is a week of performance driving on a track. Barber, Bondurant, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back