The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

help picking the right clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Owner

Probationary Member
Jun 15, 2014
northampton, Pennsylvania
ok guys, my clutch just died and I'm shopping for a new one. basic specs on my car is its a 420a with all forged internals, 2.2L stroker kit, 1200cc injectors, haltech ECU, turbo stage 2 cams and springs, turbonetix turbocharger and a bunch of other crap that probably doesnt matter much. I dont have the dyno results from the previous owner who built it sorry.
the clutch that was in it was a clutchmasters 4 puck sprung clutch. the damn springs popped out. not sure what causes this but i've had other cars who's clutches failed the same way.
also, its no longer the factory "modular" clutch, its a traditional flywheel bolted to the crank and PP bolted to that. I'm looking for the same type of replacement.
anyway. here's what I'm trying to figure out. since these springs seem to always be the failure point should i consider an unsprung clutch? I drive this car on a long commute maybe once a week, I dont launch, I mostly just drive "spirited". I do love to downshift for coming into tight turns etc (apparently this is hard on the springs).
I'm really considering the South Bend K70131-SS-TZ clutch but SB is taking forever to get back to me.
anyone have a similar setup? run a similar clutch? have any good hands on experience/recommendations?
thanks.

Absolutely with out a doubt I would get a Southbend clutch. I just got the full face ceramic sprung disk with the ssx pressure plate and it works great. The pedal feel is great and it grabs hard when you need it to and is street-able at the same time. It feels really close to my Fidanza V3 set up I was using prior. I would contact TMZ performance for one. It's owned by Twicks, a member here on DSMtuners. I had AMAZING customer service from him. He answered all my questions very well. My clutch went out like 4 days before the shootout and I asked him if he could make it happen by then and he sure did. My friends helped me get it in the night before the shootout and off we went.

The Fidanza V3 is also a good clutch I would recommend. I had mine for about 3 years and it had probably 30 launches on it or better. Also had a few track days on it and was daily driven on for 2 years. Never had any chatter or spring issues with it. I loved it and would have bought another one, but it was rated too low for my power goals.

I wrote to these guys, they never wrote back. decided to go with an ACT 6 puck sprung clutch (model 6224226). it came in the other day. havent gotten it in yet. its WAY meatier than the old clutchmaster's clutch. the metal that holds the springs in is about 2.5mm thick where the clutchmaster's was only 1.5mm. clutch is heavy though. at least a full lb heavier than the clutchmasters. hope its not hard to get through the gears with this thing.
will update as I put her back together.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back