The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G HELP! Pay $$ to Complete FWD Auto Trans swap. OH/West PA Area (Hoist/tools/jacks)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougar232

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 1, 2011
Shenango Valley, Pennsylvania
I had a buddy come down from Michigan to Hermitage PA 16148 to assist with the swapping of my leaking 98 Spyder Turbo OEM (99k miles). We got everything disconnected and I have 1 bolt on rear tranny mount stuck(Mapp gas couldn't break it either). But I don't want to disconnect engine stuff to drop both. I almost have enough clearance but stuck on converter and I'm sure I'm not pulling it out properly myself and will pay for experienced help,
I do have it 1 inch off the motor and can see flexplate and start of converter. I am willing to Pay$$ for the labor to swap in the other auto tranny and its 1 bolt and old tranny is out. All bolts labeled in zip lock bags and have everything on site besides small compressor/air tools may help put back together but not required unless you have. please If someone can get down here this weekend or another weekend or on any day that works for you. I will even take a day off of work if needed too. I can also arrange a hotel overnight if needed and accomodate drinks/beer/food/etc., This should be less than full day at most with re-assembly and have FMIC kit to mount up as well piping just need cut crash beam etc. I just need this work done by someone familiar with DSM. I am ready and car is 1 bolt and we can drop motor if it helps it clear. I really need someone that can do this ASAP. Thanks PM or Call 72481329710 . [email protected] Paypal is ready and can arrange cash too.

Update! I was able to get the trans off the Driver side axle had to get ripped out off the green cusp on shaft. I also was able to rotate 90 degrees and lower the trans down and take off hoist and me and my BIG fried wiggled it off the converter yay:hellyeah:. Now I am having trouble with those 17mm(4 Bolts) that hold toque converter to flexplate. Is a spanner wrench enuf grip and what kind of tool for these wierd 6 side hex with a star/philips head looking bolts but the have a small thin heads and slips/strips?. I have all brackets swapped to new trans. I found some local help of some DSM guys. If anyone is no too far away and would like to install tranny/reconnect and do FMIC/190 Walbro pump let me know. Call 724 813 9710. Phil

Update#2 Got all 4 converter bolts off and I put the toque converter all the way in the trans and is inside the bellhousing almost 3/8 inch. I am having trouble getting the trans to install the driver axle and put it onto pins on block I have 2 jacks and hoist need a 2nd person to simple put this together. Please if you can offer any help before the real cold hits. I also have all air tools air wrench/ratchet/30 gal 5HP Comp./Enclosed garage if needed after tranny install.

Update#3 I have the donor trans in and mounted to flexplate etc. and most of harness plugged in still a few things like the starter bolts I need their sizes(both different?) Still needs more connections/cruise/Fuel Lines/Battery Stuff/Starter/ crossmember/axles.FMIC Kit done and Bumper. Thanks anyways

sorry to hear you didn't get any help. It is a great feeling to do it yourself. It's usually better to do it yourself. Once I had a guy help me and he left the shaft out of the trans. I had it all out back together and had to drop it all over again. Glad to see you got everything under control.

UPDATE#4 CV AXLE THREADS ARE SHOT and Mushroom and stripped from last cross drilled/slotted rotor install. Looks like Ill have 2 brand new CV Axles and new Castle nuts that will actually bolt on and a lifetime warranty if I break any joints/shafts, not sure whats fails 1st in the stock auto as far as Drivetrain and the tranny parts what should I beef up and is an LSD necessary to get power w/out lots wheel spin. looking for 300-350hpmax.[DOUBLEPOST=1414587761][/DOUBLEPOST]UPDATE#4 CV AXLE THREADS ARE SHOT and Mushroom and stripped from last cross drilled/slotted rotor install. Looks like Ill have 2 brand new CV Axles($156) and new Castle nuts that will actually bolt on and a lifetime warranty if I break any joints/shafts, not sure whats fails 1st in the stock auto as far as Drivetrain and the tranny parts what should I beef up and is an LSD necessary to get power w/out lots wheel spin. looking for 300-350hpmax.

Last edited:
It's very difficult to find people for hire to work on these cars. You can find plenty of people that don't know what they're doing but finding someone good is a task. A tranny swap is really quite easy, not like you're doing an awd swap or custom fabbing something. Very glad to see that you got it! And i think your shafts will be fine at that power level. I've taken stockers and oreilly bought half shafts and ran nearly 500hp through them so they can take a beating.

Yea I got both shafts and it seems like they asked me if its a Spyder Model or a GST and Im like why. Alll the GST Videos dont not have the same looking suspension as my spyder and not the regular 2 bolts on straut mount. I have a wieru Wishbone with dual ball joint knuckles and a mini double reverse ended sway bar like 6-8inchs long most.? WI could not get the axles out so I had removed alot of stuff when I should of took lower Arm to frame bolts and removed it from body. Anyways I broke the top stabilizer with 4 white square dots on it?(Double Ended w/ small6" shaft and another link with heas w. 4 plastic squares(tiny on flay surface)./ Anyways I also had to drill out a broken bolt in the lower control arm bushing on Wishbone Y/U shaped that bolts to strut/lower control arm connection. Easier way to remove/install axles whole easier?? 98 Spydert GST

UPDATE#5 Ok I had to replace the lower Control arm w/ ball joint (MAPP Gas melted it/newb) Also I hit the later arm ball joint with a metal hammer when I had punch and or shoulda uncoated both from from of car it was cold out and didn't wanna go under but I got new sway bar end link/Lower control arm/ball joint /Lateral arm w/ ball joint. So 205$ more in damage I caused but I know the whole spyder suspension, is any on-screen if a FWD GST is same suspension system as Spyder Turbo GST? Any ways ill put other new nice axle on driver side then need to find out if the front or rear(firewall side) bolts to Starter which longer one goes in front or rear side and which is pos/new.? ima keep on upgrading as I just got a big aluminum tranny cooler can I run and plumb this in with using stock cooler too. I'M adding 12" fan too. The big Greddy FMIC kit w/ pipe thru crash beam. Ill post updates. Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back