The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Help No canister after Awd swap on spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony818

Proven Member
Jul 15, 2015
Denver, Colorado
I need your wisdom here on a mistake i made. I recently did an awd swap on a 99 spyder (gst) with a 95 gsx fuel tank. Well i been having this code pop up (p0446) (evaporative emisssion circuit) and after testing solenoids and conections i realized i dont have an evap canister. Because the gst had it in the tank (wich is now gone) and the gsx had it behind the front bumper (also gone) I also believe this is the reason for my high idle so i want to add it in. The problem is i wouldnt have the slightest clue on how to go about adding a canister in with all these lines mixed up. And would deleting the whole evap be easier? If i where to delete the evap system would that help my idle?Thanks for your time

Hopefully you solved this problem since this was posted a month ago, but I'll offer some advice. My gsx had the entire evap system removed and it runs perfectly fine. Most guys on here delete their evap system unless their state requires them to have it for inspection. Carefully study the vacuum lines in this thread to get an idea of what and where things should be connected:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/taboo-speed-shop-vacuum-diagram-and-removal-for-1g-and-2g.198327/

Deleting the whole evap system would be easiest, but it leaves you with a few codes. I'm not familiar with the layout of a spyder, but I would think you could take the canister from any turbo model and install it wherever your evap purge solenoid wire is located. Lack of a canister shouldn't be affecting your idle, but if your vacuum lines aren't capped off or properly rerouted then a vacuum leak would definitely affect your idle and make it run high. Vacuum leaks are the enemy of every DSMer

Last edited:
I agree with aaronth77, the evap has nothing to do with your idle. Your thread caught my attention b/c I'm currently doing a GSX swap myself and also just recently realized I'm missing the evap canister. I didn't think it was behind the bumper thought it was located under the batter tray as mentioned above.

After looking around a little bit, apparently Mitsubishi liked to move the charcoal canister around everywhere. It depends on if you have fwd/awd, abs/non-abs, turbo/non-turbo, 2.0/2.4, etc. The most common locations are behind the front bumper on the drivers side under the headlight, under the battery tray, in the gas tank, and right next to the gas tank. Even the documentation in the manuals have been wrong sometimes and listed the wrong canister location for the car. It's really just a matter of tracking down the evap purge solenoid wire in your car

After looking around a little bit, apparently Mitsubishi liked to move the charcoal canister around everywhere. It depends on if you have fwd/awd, abs/non-abs, turbo/non-turbo, 2.0/2.4, etc. The most common locations are behind the front bumper on the drivers side under the headlight, under the battery tray, in the gas tank, and right next to the gas tank. Even the documentation in the manuals have been wrong sometimes and listed the wrong canister location for the car. It's really just a matter of tracking down the evap purge solenoid wire in your car
Thanks for the response. I ended up deleting the evap system it was very easy and i have no codes except for the valve in the canister. But thats only because its missing.

I agree with aaronth77, the evap has nothing to do with your idle. Your thread caught my attention b/c I'm currently doing a GSX swap myself and also just recently realized I'm missing the evap canister. I didn't think it was behind the bumper thought it was located under the batter tray as mentioned above.
Yea depending on year and trim itll either be behind bumper(gsx) under battery (gst) and in the gas tank (late model gst)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back