The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help Me Decide: CTS or Evo8/9 for Front Calipers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planckscale

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2007
Tanzania, Africa
I am looking at either CTS-V or Evo8/9 for Front Calipers. I already have the evo calipers in the rear, but cannot decide for the front.

He is my pros and cons:

Evo calipers will fit on my current 12.5 inch AEM rotors.
With CTS-V calipers I will have to get new 13" rotors.

CTS calipers do not require require brackets
Evo calipers require brackets (or JDM knuckles).

Evo brake pads easily sourced with other dsm parts from Mitsubishi vendors (one-stop-shop)
CTS-V have to order separately.

Evo calipers require 3g brake booster
CTS-Vs do not.

Evo calipers are heavier than CTS-V's ??

So which one should I go for and why?
Thanks

FYI I got the Mitsubishi evo x pads for the my cts-v (4 pistons) calipers.
It will help to get the 3G master cylinder for either upgrade, not sure why you'll need 3G booster for one and not the other. I upgraded to 3G master and not booster and it works great for me.

FYI I got the Mitsubishi evo x pads for the my cts-v (4 pistons) calipers.
It will help to get the 3G master cylinder for either upgrade, not sure why you'll need 3G booster for one and not the other. I upgraded to 3G master and not booster and it works great for me.

Thanks for the comment. I as far as I have researched, the 3g booster and master cylinder is only mentioned with Evo upgrade. But I could be wrong, since they both increase the fluid volume...

You honestly can't go wrong either way. I bought the JDM knuckles as I would never grind on my calipers in order to get them to fit. You don't HAVE to change booster or master cylinder, still rocking OEM BB/MC.

Thanks for the comment. I as far as I have researched, the 3g booster and master cylinder is only mentioned with Evo upgrade. But I could be wrong, since they both increase the fluid volume...

The 3G Master Cyl I would consider it a must in the CTS-V upgrade but it's just my preference not a need. They work fine with the stock MC and BB although just changing the MC does a world of difference in pedal feel. Also the Evo and CTS pads are the same, you can buy them wherever you want. You can look at my write-up regarding the CTS-V caliper installation and mods and how cheap it can get. I love the fact that you can get a painted replacement from AC Delco from $146 vs an unpainted Evo caliper for $250.

Last edited:
The 3G Master Cyl I would consider it a must in the CTS-V upgrade but it's just my preference not a need. They work fine with the stock MC and BB although just changing the MC does a world of difference in pedal feel. Also the Evo and CTS pads are the same, you can buy them wherever you want. You can look at my write-up regarding the CTS-V caliper installation and mods and how cheap it can get. I love the fact that you can get a painted replacement from AC Delco from $146 vs an unpainted Evo caliper for $250.

I have gone through your post. Thanks.
Still, the need for 13" rotor is a deal killer for the CTS.
What about weight comparison?

Using a 3G Eclipse/Evo master cylinder is a good idea with ether setup, but the booster largely effects pedal feel more, if you like a harder pedal and more travel use a stock dsm booster, the 3g booster will be softer and less travel, so it really depends on the owners preference.

It only took Andrew Brilliant to say Evo X Brake upgrade is what he uses on his car 1 time to convince me to go the evo route. Also the claim was he preferred them over stoptech upgrade fwiw. I got the evo upgrade, with jdm knuckles and 3g bb and mc I love the stopping power of it without that stiff pedal feel people were claiming when you don't upgrade the booster and master cylinder. I also was looking into the ctsv ones at the time of upgrade but the need for hub centric rings turned me off. Go figure. Anyway. hope this helps

With stock master cylinder and booster, on the CTS-V setup,it felt like I had no brake at time,cause the pedal travel was long .I also didn't like the "sudden stop" effort, I really had to stomp on the pedal and in that effort locked up the brakes. After the 3G master cylinder upgrade, it was somewhat back to stock brakes feel. More "control" or more of what I was use to.

It only took Andrew Brilliant to say Evo X Brake upgrade is what he uses on his car 1 time to convince me to go the evo route. Also the claim was he preferred them over stoptech upgrade fwiw. I got the evo upgrade, with jdm knuckles and 3g bb and mc I love the stopping power of it without that stiff pedal feel people were claiming when you don't upgrade the booster and master cylinder. I also was looking into the ctsv ones at the time of upgrade but the need for hub centric rings turned me off. Go figure. Anyway. hope this helps

That is an expensive route though (Knuckles, BB, calipers, rotors), but I guess it is a good idea to upgraded a 15 years old car.
What size rotors did you use with the Evo X?

... Also the Evo and CTS pads are the same,

Wow, I missed this point. That is good to know. I have sourcing parts from different vendors. It makes overseas shipping very expensive.

That is an expensive route though (Knuckles, BB, calipers, rotors), but I guess it is a good idea to upgraded a 15 years old car.
What size rotors did you use with the Evo X?
Yea it was but once that big price tag is paid then it's just a matter of only changing pads and rotors in the future. I actually went the evo 8/9 route because I only had evo 8 wheels and the evo x brakes are bigger than 8/9 and the wheels wouldn't clear. but price wise. I just got the brake master cylinder and brake booster from the junk yard (why not it's an oem part) cost like $70 for both. the knuckles I paid $365 shipped and paypal'd, jdm abs sensors I had to pay $150 new from rtm, the dust shields were like $50 or so for epsi, and the big price tag was from detective coating, not sure if they still offer this package deal but it was for all 4 Evo 8/9 Brake calipers Rebuilt (I didn't send a core so I bought ones they had), all 4 stoptech cross drilled rotors, brake pads all around, all the hardware (pins, clips, mounting bolts etc) and powder coated whatever color with a black or white brembo decal. Price Tag $1800. So just about $2500 for every single thing. but there's always a cheaper route on the calipers and stuff you can find someone selling the calipers somewhere and do the adapter way too just got to grind down the calipers. 1 reason I paid the price tag is I don't plan on selling my car. and the rotors are 320mm (12.6 inches)

I feel you. But damn $2,500 for brakes that is true love:dsm:
I too do not plan to sell my car, for which i have own since 1999! I am leaning towards the Evo calipers cause I can use my 12.5" AEM rotors

For the price I paid for my setup it has literally screwed me over on modding my car. Spending just $380 on a mod I would have expected to climb in the $1k+, now any mod I do to the car I find too darn expensive. :p

I feel you. But damn $2,500 for brakes that is true love:dsm:
I too do not plan to sell my car, for which i have own since 1999! I am leaning towards the Evo calipers cause I can use my 12.5" AEM rotors
Yea eventually I want to turn my car into a time attack type vehicle but haven't got the stones to start cutting my car I feel like it one if the few complete dsm's around here. full interior, fully loaded with AC, PS and everything. You name it. It would break my heart to tear it down but we will see. As time goes im realizing how less of a street car its becoming. But we will see. But I don't regret spending the money on the only brake upgrade I'll do. I would regret it if I upgrade again after. LOL

Same here, but I keep loving the car even more! I have put well over $30k on it with no regrets, as well.

I really would love to get hold of the 2011 Cadilac CTS-V coupe, but I cannot imagine how it will be to baby-sit the CTS. So at the end, I have decided to stick with the bi*** I am used to - the DSM. At least I am used to her headaches and regular PMS.

Well my calipers are more then say AP racings LOL, i decided to go all out and get 2 piece rotors and stainless pistons and for the price of it all yeah i say its cheaper to get aftermarket kits but if its bine stock calipers and rotors, it can be oretty cheap! Some have done the caliper route for under 1k! Sometimes even less.

I am quite fond of my cross drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. I changed over to high temp brake fluid dot 4 and haven't had any issues. Sometimes I would like a little more stopping power, but then I tend to down shift a lot so that helps tremendously. I did just take the budget for brake upgrade and buy koni's and new lower control arms.

You know whats sad about it though? In a few years we will be obsolete/worthless when all the used parts get depleted. Im stuck between stocking up on transmissions or keeping the power down/turning it back into a mild street car. After going through so many you get tired of it. I think the 14b record chasers are on to something. Lightweight and maxed setups on small turbos.

I hear you. Just getting parts for my transmission rebuild was a feat. Parts are becoming scarce by the minute on these platforms but bang for the buck DSM's are just so good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back