The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

help me choose pistons and rods!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B1ackout

10+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2012
Bartonville, Illinois
If weiscos have a rep for cracking the wrist pin bore that's good to know. I'll steer clear of them when I do my build. I had a wrist pin bore break on me and it's not fun at all. It creates alot of trash parts really fast.

This is a Ford CVH motor. I wasn't happy when this happened randomly on the freeway.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Im glad 3 opinions of wiseco's shed the light to the world when 95% of these failures are user error or install error most often.

Richard33 FWD 2g is on 2-3 seasons of standard eagle/wiseco engine which over reved to 11,xxxRPM and his standard wisecos have zero cracks or issues making 600s in a fwd auto.

im going to get right to removing my Wiseco HDs now :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Im glad 3 opinions of wiseco's shed the light to the world when 95% of these failures are user error or install error most often.

Richard33 FWD 2g is on 2-3 seasons of standard eagle/wiseco engine which over reved to 11,xxxRPM and his standard wisecos have zero cracks or issues making 600s in a fwd auto.

Well Auto cars are alittle more nicer on parts then 5 Speed cars.

that is great for Richard33. But even wiseco have said they need change the design of there 4g63 piston. so Richard33 could have one of there newer design piston. there is a reason why they came out with there HD piston for the 4G63 and from what I was told they were only coming to sale HD pistons for the 4G63. I have sent them pistons old none HD pistons from cars making under 500Hp and they have had signs of cracks. and in return they have given me what are now HD pistons for free in the pass. I didnt bi*** or tell them I would bad mouth them. i still use wiseco pistons but not in 4G63 builds.

Here is a 3TC Build

Magnus used to use wiseco until they had problems with them and switched to ross, which they continue to use today. I'll be going ross and magnus rods in my spare block.

manleys ARE eagle rods, bro.
And to just get you idea on how cheap China H Beam Rods are here is what I pay for a rod.

:hellyeah:
Magnus used to use wiseco until they had problems with them and switched to ross, which they continue to use today. I'll be going ross and magnus rods in my spare block.

Inside of MAGNUS http://onelap.rochesterdsm.org/2011/02/inside-magnus-motorsports/

I believe the best off the shelf piston are Arias then Ross. and if you are putting out the coin forWiseco HD just call Magnus and order there Pistons. The only reason I like Ross for Custom stuff is because they have been faster in turn around time then Arias for me.

Here is another piston we have been RE-testing in some 8 second LS motors and 4G63 stuff

The guys down under seem to love them.

MAGNUS PISTON

http://onelap.rochesterdsm.org/2012/02/4b11-magnus-pistons/

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQb9uDgxjk8[/ame]

Not a 4G63 you will get the point
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44871

Last edited:
And to just get you idea on how cheap China H Beam Rods are here is what I pay for a rod.

Inside of MAGNUS Inside Magnus Motorsports | Rochester DSM OneLap

I believe the best off the shelf piston are Arias then Ross. and if you are putting out the coin forWiseco HD just call Magnus and order there Pistons. The only reason I like Ross for Custom stuff is because they have been faster in turn around time then Arias for me.

Here is another piston we have been RE-testing after great reason in some 8 second LS motors.

The guys down under seem to love them.

MAGNUS PISTON

4B11 Magnus pistons | Rochester DSM OneLap

Cutting Valve reliefs in Pitsons - YouTube

Not a 4G63 you will get the point
TheNEWB 2.3L stroker build part 2 - Whats the Clearance Clarence? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums

I'm running those same probe pistons in my car right now. They seem to be holding up to 30+ psi with a new fp red. The only issue is they were shipped with some really thin wall pins. I ordered some thicker pins before I installed them.

Oliver makes a pretty darn good titanium connecting rod, on page 12 they have a "Mitsubishi" rod but it does not specify 4g63, however, they will cut a rod to your specs and dimensions on page 15:
Oliver catalog
I am pretty sure they are not cheap though....LOL.

I'm running those same probe pistons in my car right now. They seem to be holding up to 30+ psi with a new fp red. The only issue is they were shipped with some really thin wall pins. I ordered some thicker pins before I installed them.
I would like to say sorry to everyone. I forget about posting the better pics of Arias pistons. .

That is good to hear. I feel like Probe pistons just need alot of prep work. I only use them in budget builds.

Well post pics for sure later today

sick as a dog that is why i am posting this late

and a free random pic of something for a DSM

I would like to say sorry to everyone. I forget about posting the better pics of Arias pistons. .

That is good to hear. I feel like Probe pistons just need alot of prep work. I only use them in budget builds.

Well post pics for sure later today

The main reason I wanted to try them was the quench pad design. I've never felt the open dish design was a good match for our heads.

I'm debating if I should go. Venola pistons with Oliver rods
Honestly I've never heard of venola
Would that be a good combo ?
I would go Crower R&R. Magnus has his R&R rods to there Specs.
http://magnusmotorsports.com/produc...ls/magnus-billet-steel-con-rods/#.Us0B3vRDtws
Venolia was one of the first forge pistons companys and before Nick Arias started Arias he owned Venolia. Extreme Motorsports,Morales Racing and For a bit Buschur used them.

Forged Pistons | Venolia Racing and Performance Pistons

http://nickariasjr.com/about-us.asp

Well by looking at your setup.. Venolia are going to run you about $700.00 http://moralesracing.com/Products.html for there RaceSpec stuff. Same what Extreme used. and R&R Magnus has them is stock. or if you want something alittle cheaper. Arias Pistons with upgrade pin and Manley TT Rod

:hellyeah: Great to Hear.. Putting them in a motor in the morning. Have them in the parts washer now so I can prep them in a bit

After buying some real pins, rings, and fitting the pins to the bores they didn't come out much cheaper than some of the other options. But with their performance so far I'm very pleased. I was happy with the consistency, they were all very close in size and weight.

After buying some real pins, rings, and fitting the pins to the bores they didn't come out much cheaper than some of the other options. But with their performance so far I'm very pleased. I was happy with the consistency, they were all very close in size and weight.
If you dont mind me asking. What did you pay for the pistons alone before the Rings and Upgraded pins

Well Auto cars are alittle more nicer on parts then 5 Speed cars.

I've had the opposite experience. The auto cars hold higher RPM's for more of the pass due to the converter slip. Also due to the gear ratios and running out third have to hold higher yet RPM's past the 1/8 in tall gear. Also due to staging at full throttle under boost not lifting for the whole pass, the engine doesn't get a break for 15+ seconds. Oil temps are higher, coolant temps are higher, everything seems harder on the engine, for me.

I've had the opposite experience. The auto cars hold higher RPM's for more of the pass due to the converter slip. Also due to the gear ratios and running out third have to hold higher yet RPM's past the 1/8 in tall gear. Also due to staging at full throttle under boost not lifting for the whole pass, the engine doesn't get a break for 15+ seconds. Oil temps are higher, coolant temps are higher, everything seems harder on the engine, for me.
What 's breaking ??? Have a log ????

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back