The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

help me choose pistons and rods!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B1ackout

10+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2012
Bartonville, Illinois
Thanks nitrouskris. Much appreciated. Ill be speaking with Bogus and a number of people before my personal build. Ill stop jacking OPs thread.
OP hope you could gleen some info from the side topics that were covered. Looks like you have plenty of answers on which pistons/rods you should get....... Guess it comes down to who you trust and what your budget is. Best of luck

I can only offer up that my eagle rods have been superb after 4k miles and have gladly taken plenty of 30+ psi 1-3 pulls. No problems there whatsoever. Now im probably only seeing(was seeing) 500crank, maybe a little more on e85, but the rods are surely not bent.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ri59rb5I]4G63 PISTONS - YouTube[/ame]

Old Vid I reload sometime ago. Sound lout of it because I was on pain Killers for my knee

My suspicion? What you said, kind of. I have yet to tear the block down but I will be doing it and posting pics in a soon to come build thread. I suspect when the machinist got the ptw clearance wrong. Wild ass guess. Until i see it with my own eyes and post pics, its all guessing. Keep an eye on the build threads, mine will pop up. Garage being built now, then a surgery, then finally get started on the build/swap.

Very informative thread I was thinking of going Wiseco for my 2.3 build but probably will go with Arias instead.

Cheap Ass - Supertech Pistons and Scat Rods

Budget - Manley Pistons and Rods
If op would like, Pauter rods would be awesome with Arias pistons. I hear 2 weeks on order for pauters, patent x-beam design. Nitrouskris, have you used Pauter or Magnus rods, GRP aluminum?

If op would like, Pauter rods would be awesome with Arias pistons. I hear 2 weeks on order for pauters, patent x-beam design. Nitrouskris, have you used Pauter or Magnus rods, GRP aluminum?
Right Friends Evo 4G63 is running Magnus Rods without any problems for two years and it is a standing mile car

Video isnt working for some reason so here are some pics of Pistons

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now here is another thing people dont do when they build there own motors or even some pro guys. Is prepping there pistons. DONT CARE the name they all need to be.

I don't think the HD's are bad, but the standard ones are sooo bad, and wiseco was a shit ass about it when mine failed with only like 6000mi on them, that I will never ever run anything wiseco again. Search around and find some JE's on the cheap, or ross's or mahles, or arias. It would be nice if there were some $300 pistons, that were decent. I honestly feel like wiseco's would fail in a stock setup.

If your running JE, you are running Wiseco. Same company.

Proof: Performance Motorsports Inc. - About Us

If your running JE, you are running Wiseco. Same company.

Proof: Performance Motorsports Inc. - About Us
WRONG

yes they are both own by PMI now. because Wayne Brooks sold JE to them. but the pistons are very diff from each other and QC is also diff. Even with part of JE moving to Ohio they are ran very diff. Wayne Brooks now owns racetec alot of JE guys are now running his stuff http://www.racetecpistons.com/index.htm

Wiseco

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJX_vGJnxi0[/ame]

JE

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLVHdMXk9SU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fei93Gp0vwo[/ame]

Cheap Ass - Supertech Pistons and Scat Rods

Budget - Manley Pistons and Rods
Just want to add this...txted my friend about a motor I did like 2 years ago. With what I label the cheap ass setup. for his fwd auto on meth and it is still together. Car makes under 400ish HP on a superflow dyno

Last edited:
Damn, so JE has their "Critical Inspection Lab" for QC on their finished products, impressive.

Wiseco has some guy that dunks 1 in 10 forgings in a bucket of water to "check for defects." No wonder so many wiseco slugs crack and fall apart. LOL

Haha, just kidding, in Wiseco's defense, that video didn't cover their QC procedures. I'm still kicking myself in the ass for buying the set of wiseco's I have sitting on the shelf though. I don't think I can bring myself to build another motor with them and have that "what If" in the back of my mind, waiting for the damn wrist pin boss to crack apart.

I have stopped by Wiseco and purchased from them, they are only about an hour from me. JE is definately in the same area, and some of the JE stuff is made on the same line right next to the Wiseco by the same people LOL. There is differences in the castings between the two, otherwise there wouldnt be two brands. I'm not a JE fan at all, seen too many collapsed skirts on them and the quality and finish of them in general just doesnt look as good, mind you this was before they were sold to the new parent company. I would have to say that the only reason that you are seeing more Wiseco failures here then JE is because Wiseco sells 100 pistons to every JE that sells for the 4g63 so there is more of them out there.

JE 10:1s sound like a good safe bet. Not to mention they cost less than wiseco's HD line. I think ive made a choice based on this thread. Thanks to all who contributed horror stories about wiseco LOL.

im just going to leave the poll open so it gets more accurate over time, and the more votes it gets the better the decision someone can make when looking for a decent piston/rod combo

Can you get a better picture of the dish of the Arias? is it flat on the bottom or ????? Also are those dishes as deep as they look?

I ended up selling the Arias kit the very next morning. Just waiting for a new set to come it and I will also post another pic of another Piston Brand we have been retesting in a 4G63 Motor and a LS Motor

Last edited:
Its weird right? The poll shows wiseco/eagle in the lead yet if you read the thread and the little twist it took, wiseco's took a beating by a number of users. Still have yet to hear a failure from a wiseco HD user but nonetheless, that may be enough to sway the OP,othes, even me, away from using wiseco.

OP: When you Do choose, let us know the combo you;'ll be running

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back