The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

HE351VE Controller Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bringing this thread back:D

Just bought Holset HE531V! Can´t wait put it on my AWD and push to 35PSI:sneaky:
Would be great get some controller based on exhaust back pressure at least..

Are you selling controllers..or you ended development??

Thanks
Venca

That turbo is meant for running 30 psi on a 15 liter making over 1500 ft lbs of torque. Running only 35 psi would be silly.

Bringing this thread back:D

Just bought Holset HE531V! Can´t wait put it on my AWD and push to 35PSI:sneaky:
Would be great get some controller based on exhaust back pressure at least..

Are you selling controllers..or you ended development??

Thanks
Venca

Hi,
well, as for size of both wheels..
comp 65/98
turbine 86/77
Its basically hair bigger HX52 with VGT.. so..this way I think 35PSI on E85/E98 could be enought :hellyeah: esp for DD
Now Iam running s300 91/79 T4 0.91 a/r aka. s366 in 35PSI of boost and she push pretty cool:cool: with 12Lbs of air bigger turbo..would be awesome:D

Venca

That turbo is meant for running 30 psi on a 15 liter making over 1500 ft lbs of torque. Running only 35 psi would be silly.

I know this is slightly off topic, but; has anyone been running one of these turbos with a proper tune for a decently long amount of time? I am interested in longevity on our gas engines.

Looking forward to more updates on the controller!

Here is a major update. The next update will show the final gauge pod display graphics. Thereafter, expect installation videos in a DSM.

Thanks for everyone's continued interest in this thread! We're moving a mountain with this project and doing it right takes time (because we don't have infinite money :p).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VDfR0b_clxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M1KtWfh0xGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W5QrLgMe3og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, that's amazing! Thanks for the update. Have you test fit the turbo assembly in your talon yet? Its quite the package size of course, I wonder the extent of clearance modification would be needed to fit that bad boy.

Again thanks for sharing

So does the turbo have to modified to fit the probes or do they go pre/post turbo?

Excellent work on this project! I have been following along over the past year(s) and I must say, the execution and final interface is of professional quality. :thumb:

There might be an excellent application for this in the Aerocharger turbo systems as well.

Any ideas on initial pricing?

Not to take away from what you have done, because it is nothing short of amazing, but the gear box assembly seems really bulky. Is the production model going to be exactly the same? I have this turbo mounted up using a manifold adapter which angles the turbo away from the block. Without some sort of top mount manifold, there's no possible way I can see being able to mount this turbo with a gear box that big. Can you give us some insight as to how close the components we have previewed will be to those eventually available for purchase? Also, what are your thoughts and plans to mount that beast on your car, and what type of manifold are you planning to use?

Just so I'm not taken the wrong way, again, the work you have done here is absolutely amazing. I have the utmost respect for your work and this project, and look forward to utilizing what you have done on my own setup in the future.

P.S. Are you looking for test vehicles?

Couple of questions,

When installing new actuators, cummins requires calibrating the actuator to the turbo during installation, will this be required?

Cummins has coolant running through there actuators, will coolant still be required? (and if not do you think it will affect longevity)

Couple of questions,

When installing new actuators, cummins requires calibrating the actuator to the turbo during installation, will this be required?

Cummins has coolant running through there actuators, will coolant still be required? (and if not do you think it will affect longevity)

Our controller automatically zeros the vane position on startup. There is no need to calibrate. We use a position controller and stepper motor unlike the Cummins Holset actuator that uses a magnetic position indicator on one of the gears in their gearbox.

The CHRA of this turbo requires coolant because of the mechanical linkage and gearbox attached cannot tolerate otherwise.

Without some sort of top mount manifold, there's no possible way I can see being able to mount this turbo with a gear box that big. Can you give us some insight as to how close the components we have previewed will be to those eventually available for purchase? Also, what are your thoughts and plans to mount that beast on your car, and what type of manifold are you planning to use?

PM kthackst, they're working on a top mount manifold for the HE351VE right now on the car that we're testing. You'll see a lot more of that soon.

HE351VE is really the tip of the iceberg for this project. We are working on some future surprises that involve a brand new turbocharger. I don't mean a refurbished diesel turbo, I mean a brand new turbo design.

Any ideas on initial pricing?

I kind of got smacked for talking about that stuff on here without being a supporting vendor. My business has supported the project to this point and we've just started to take pre-orders for the controller. I don't expect to pre-order many controllers until we release the testing results.

We have to press the shirt and button the tuxedo on the interface before I'm happy releasing the product.

Graphics animations on the gauge pod:
[ame=http://youtu.be/7Zb8bUfLhGU]Pre-Release Variable Geometry Turbocharger Controller- Gauge Pod Animations - YouTube[/ame]

Testing ought to tell us how well it does. It's about time I get some install and test video to show everyone. When I do, I'll upload the data logs as well.

The first videos may very well show a turbo making north of 50lb boost.

Getting very close. ;)

This may sound picky, but can we call "spool" angular acceleration? People use "spool" to describe the time until target boost is achieved, the angular acceleration of the wheel, etc. Could be I've never grasped the term "spool" "spooled" "spooling up" etc. English is such an ambiguous language!

What's this? A new VGT that can crush spoons?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6RbVov1hB8[/ame]

It can crush spoons, but can it crush records? :sneaky:

Here's a shot of our EGT probe. It's all custom made. The sheath is 310 stainless, exposed tip type K thermocouple. The bung is custom machined from 316 stainless with a snug fit around the sheath (no leaks) and a stainless hex set screw. It's easy to tap into a manifold and insert this because it is 1/8-27 NPTF (dryseal) threads. Alternately, female bungs (weld on) are available in this size.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Feedback control demo from sensor inputs:
[ame=http://youtu.be/J3Zxk9gKBfg]Blaylock Switchblade on Suprock Technologies VGT Controller. Position Control. - YouTube[/ame]

Engine brake and resume from engine brake:
[ame=http://youtu.be/902xBkzjH1g]Blaylock Switchblade on Suprock Technologies VGT Controller. Engine Brake. - YouTube[/ame]

I know this is slightly off topic, but; has anyone been running one of these turbos with a proper tune for a decently long amount of time? I am interested in longevity on our gas engines.

Looking forward to more updates on the controller!

The HE's will last but the mechanical assembly is fussy without proper cooling. The HE design was (in my opinion) more about diesel EGR than it ever was about variable vane performance... the reduced lag is a desirable side effect of the HE design that we're taking advantage of.

We are looking into an alternate turbo (vids above) that is built with a single action vane. In theory it is more temperature tolerant, the vane is made from inconel. The other advantage is no water cooling required, unlike the HE's.

Not to take away from what you have done, because it is nothing short of amazing, but the gear box assembly seems really bulky.

The alternate turbo we are investigating has a much smaller actuator assembly than the HE and is little larger than S300.

Everybody that bought an HE351VE in anticipation of this project, don't worry we are still going to release a bolt on mod for the HE turbos. The controller is capable of handling multiple turbos and I will be posting info about them in addition to the HE. I don't mean to cause confusion by sharing info about other VGTs.

Now is this setup able to control the vgt actuator accurately all by itself with all the tempature/pressure sensor and turbo speed inputs or does it require input from an engine ecu?

It requires no inputs from the ECU.

Manifold has one of the four runners tacked up. Having an issue scheduling my welding friend to come out and help now that he works 70+ hours on week plus more where he just has to show at events. Hoping to make progress this week or next week.

PC configuration software allows the user to choose which type of turbo (i.e. HE351VE, Switchblade, etc. corresponding to the default vane control settings). It also allows advanced control over the turbo vane position settings if the user wishes to deviate from the standard position control setup for their turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back