The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Have electric power, no start.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyderdrifter

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 11, 2009
Somewhere in, Colorado
After months of tedious building, I finally got my Talon rebuilt and filled up with fluids. I disconnected the fuel and spark so I could prime the oil, and the car wouldn't start. I got electrical power, even had a jump in case my battery was low on voltage. No change. No clicks from the starter, no cranking, nothing. Just the dash lights, chimes, and other interior electrics working. A brief run down of this car is it had a crankwalked engine and I put in a new long block. I also removed a Viper alarm. All else is the same. It did start, run, and drive prior to pulling the bad engine. My only thoughts are that, A: the starter somehow died while sitting on the shelf (my least likely thought); B: I somehow missed plugging a connector in somewhere since I had removed the entire engine harness from the car at one point; and C: after removing the alarm system, I forgot to reconnect a wire and haven't yet seen it. Anyone got any suggestions as to what to look at? Am I able to test my starter at home without pulling it out? Car is a 96 TSi AWD with manual trans.

Did you check the starter ground wire? Also I have forgot to plug in the single wire connector on the solenoid before. Doesn't hurt to check those 2 things first.

After that I would try and bridge the starter and solenoid with a screw driver and see if that makes it spin. This would eliminate any possibility of a wiring issue from unhooking the alarm system.

By the air box next to the boost solenoid their is a big connector their just double check it

There is a one wire connector that runs between the main engine harness and the starter harness. It is located behind and below the thermostat housing.
www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-engine-bay-electrical-connections.298047/page-2#post-151542290
This wire (black/yellow) carries the starter signal from the starter relay (under the dash) to the starter solenoid (on the starter). Make sure that this connector is plugged in.
Another possibility is the starter disable switch on the clutch pedal. There are two switches on the clutch pedal. The one that is activated when the pedal is pushed to the floor is the starter disable switch. Try unplugging that switch. It will not disable the starter if it is unplugged.
Jim

I know for sure the black/yellow wire is connected, and that the starter bolt does not have the ground attached. Hopefully that's the only issue. Thanks all, will reply back once I get to it tonight.

Update: I didn't make it to the car last night, but got there today. I put the ground cable on the starter bolt as needed, and there's no change.

Another possibility is the starter disable switch on the clutch pedal. There are two switches on the clutch pedal. The one that is activated when the pedal is pushed to the floor is the starter disable switch. Try unplugging that switch. It will not disable the starter if it is unplugged.
Jim

Which of the two switches is the one you're talking about? I know the other is the neutral safety switch, but which is which? I got both plugged in right now, but they were both unplugged when I first tried starting the car, so plugged them in. If it doesn't disable the starter when unplugged, what does it do when plugged in? and what is the switches function?

Disconnect the trigger wire on the starter and check for power while cranking. Also check the big fat wire for the starter. If you can control the small wire with ignition key then you have a bad starter. If you can not control the power on that wire then you need to chase where the circuit is broken. Usually next you go to the relay and see if you can jump it. If it spins then you have a bad relay or from relay to ignition switch is the problem. Just got to work backwards. I hope it makes any sense.

Which of the two switches is the one you're talking about? I know the other is the neutral safety switch, but which is which? I got both plugged in right now, but they were both unplugged when I first tried starting the car, so plugged them in. If it doesn't disable the starter when unplugged, what does it do when plugged in? and what is the switches function?
One is the neutral safety switch (the green black and black wire), the other is the cruise control disable switch for the clutch pedal. Did you start by checking the main fuses and relays ? Is this the car that you replaced the ignition key tumbler assembly in?

Last edited:
Take the small clip off of the starter to see if it is sending a 12v signal to the starter to the starter to trigger the solenoid.

If it is not, then you most likely have an issue with ignition power, possibly caused by the neutral safety switch.

It's also possible the battery is dead, which is why you want to test for 12v to the small wire at the starter. If the battery is dead you will see a 12v signal

She starts, runs, and drives. The small black clip somehow either got knocked off or wasn't connected. I remember putting it on, but could have forgotten, who knows. Problem resolved. Thanks everyone.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back