The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Has anyone read this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizily555

Proven Member
May 30, 2013
North Mankato, Minnesota
When I bought my GSX I was/am new to the 4G63 platform and wanted to learn more other than sitting on this site for hours on end. I had remembered running into a book called "How to build Max-Performance Mitsubishi 4G63t engine" very intrigued on finding something that I can learn from. I liked the authors credentials and decided to buy it. I have since read parts that I am working on and was wondering about and it is very informative, the author has done his research. I am wondering if anyone else has bought this book and what they have thought of it because there have been instances where the book and someone who I think would know what they are talking about contradict each other. Wondering if anyone has an opinion on it?

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Max-Performance-Mitsubishi-4g63t-Engines/dp/1613250665

Attachments

• front htbamp4g63.jpg
    front htbamp4g63.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 58
  • rear htbamp4g63.jpg
    rear htbamp4g63.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 52
I have it and read some of the parts. To me it seems like a good book to read and learn some. I wouldnt trust eveything in there but then again its hard to trust what some people say.

Old. Been around for a long time, was suggested to me when I first started wrenching on these in 2003 LOL. Not to say that the information contained is wrong per say, but over the years there have been many innovations and the support and average performance level has far surpassed what is discussed in the book. Fuel systems, turbos, engine management, etc. have all advanced well past the point that the "race" builds of back then would have considered extreme so I would take everything mentioned with a grain of salt and check it against what you find the good builders doing today.

For instance, clearance specs may be much more tight then people run now, recommendations for setting up your basic airflow and VE have probably changed with the introduction of stronger valvetrain equipment and big ass intake manifolds, cam selection is going to be much different since a 272 was big back then, and the stroker revolution throws basically every calculation out the window so thats one more wrench in the plans so to speak if you're planning on more than a 2.0!

Again, not hating on the book, it was a staple for the platform in it's hay-day but we have come a looong way, don't screw yourself by following a guide made for products that have been out of production for ten years. Follow the modern recipe to success with DSMlink, big injectors and pump, fast spooling turbos that can still flow a ton of air, and take advantage of the evolution of parts design to negate the downsides like lag, oiling concerns, crankwalk, etc. The average build anymore makes nearly 500hp and runs low 11's which was the top of the food chain back then LOL!

Old. Been around for a long time, was suggested to me when I first started wrenching on these in 2003 LOL.!
That's funny. The copyright states 2009 so unless you have a Delorean and traveled to the future to get one, I call BULLSHIT.

To the op: it's a nice read but it's conservative and not wild. It's good for 80% of DSMers that are not looking to make more than 450hp. There's also been advancements in ECMLink, turbos, fuel, and exhaust systems since then. 5 Years is outdated.

I bought it a long while ago, but a lot of the stuff I already knew from here, vfaq and the fsm. Good for nooblets though.

That's funny. The copyright states 2009 so unless you have a Delorean and traveled to the future to get one, I call BULLSHIT.

To the op: it's a nice read but it's conservative and not wild. It's good for 80% of DSMers that are not looking to make more than 450hp. There's also been advancements in ECMLink, turbos, fuel, and exhaust systems since then. 5 Years is outdated.

Apparently you have no idea how publishing works but if you'd like to believe that I have a DeLorean then by all means go for it. My mind is blown every day on here how negative and argumentative people have become. Even if someone posts something that is 99% correct another member will jump all over them for that little misworded or mistaken txt. I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong but I don't post nonsense or "what my friend's brother's dog's neighbor" did to their car just to post like a newb.

Take a chill pill and understand that just because we don't have 2500 posts like you, a lot of us have still been here for a loooong time and know WTF we are talking about...

Would be tight to find a book with the start of 4g63's up to the new 4g or 5g's that are out now!
All the generations - All in one, would make any mitsui fan cream themselves!

I read it twice cover to cover it has some good reference info on our cars, and so far IMHO is the best book made for our cars yet, and I really liked the color images, but there are some small errors in the book [or at least in my copy there is], I read the other book called, Mitsubishi diamond star performance tuning, it was also a good read, while it took a more laymen approach on things, and most of the info was vary dated, but none the less it was entertaining at the least, and you take something from both books if your a beginner or just want to read about dsm subject matter.

It would be cool if they made a revised version of how to build max performance 4g63t, or maybe a second edition with updated info/pics etc.

It would be cool if they made a revised version of how to build max performance 4g63t, or maybe a second edition with updated info/pics etc.

Cool idea, wonder if the author or publishing company at least is still around. Would definitely be nice to have some more modern updates and some of the erroneous parts from the original fixed. There should be an entire new section on strokers that incorporates the "Stroke or Not" thesis which I think was written by TunaTalon here: http://www.kidzuku.com/StrokeOrNot.pdf

Also, more information regarding transmissions in general including a lot of suggestions for DSM based automatics would be great. Our engines have FAR surpassed our drivetrains at this point and the safest way to run these 600hp+ cars is through an auto. We don't have to swap to a GM and RWD anymore with custom tube framed nonsense, with the help of Mr. Kevin Kiggly and more manufacturing support from places like Bradco, IPT, and Precision, Forced Four, Road Surge, etc. we have some really strong options for keeping a car together while running 9 and even 8 second drag cars!

Just like with any technology (yes, these motors are a piece of technology), the absolute best way is to spend hours reading current events, innovations, ideas, setups, etc. If you want to learn the most possible, research everything, read every thread, explore build journals, and read stickies.

I dont understand why you would waste time and money reading a book that is over 10 years old when you could save the 20$ and invest the same amount of time within the forums. Also as another note, being lazy and taking shortcuts will never pay off in the end. The forums are an excellent tool and filled with tons of people who are more than willing to spend their time transferring knowledge to you for free.

Edit: That 20$ is better spent on a Haynes/Chiltons manual. Thats our bible for torque specs, part locations, how tos, everything.

Apparently you have no idea how publishing works but if you'd like to believe that I have a DeLorean then by all means go for it. My mind is blown every day on here how negative and argumentative people have become. Even if someone posts something that is 99% correct another member will jump all over them for that little misworded or mistaken txt. I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong but I don't post nonsense or "what my friend's brother's dog's neighbor" did to their car just to post like a newb.

Take a chill pill and understand that just because we don't have 2500 posts like you, a lot of us have still been here for a loooong time and know WTF we are talking about...
Alright so inform me how publishing works then. Because as far as I know this book only existed 5 years or so ago. And if it did exist 10 years ago, where were you to tell us about it? Don't get your panties in a bunch just cause I'm calling BS on you. I'd like to see a 2004 copyright edition. If there is one. And for the record, I didn't even look at your post count. Don't know why you think that just cause you post less, you're superior because I certainly don't think I am superior to you just cause I have a higher post count. Maybe you don't post as often because of what you literally just said;it's nonsense. Real mature to drag that into the convo. Blows my mind. :rolleyes:

I'd really like to hear the explanation. If I'm wrong, then I'll freely admit it and be cordial about it and I'll learn about publishing. Til then, don't cry about post count and all that "nonsense."

Just like with any technology (yes, these motors are a piece of technology), the absolute best way is to spend hours reading current events, innovations, ideas, setups, etc. If you want to learn the most possible, research everything, read every thread, explore build journals, and read stickies.

Works, but a book is easier on the eyes then a computer, and sometimes it's more convenient too.

I dont understand why you would waste time and money reading a book that is over 10 years old when you could save the 20$ and invest the same amount of time within the forums. Also as another note, being lazy and taking shortcuts will never pay off in the end. The forums are an excellent tool and filled with tons of people who are more than willing to spend their time transferring knowledge to you for free.

The book the op is referring to is around 6 years old... unless you're referring to the poorly written b&w blurted pictured Buschur Racing dsm brochure [ahem] I mean book, which still happens to be just shy 1 year of a decade old as of right now LOL.

That being said the information in how to build max 4g63t may be old it still has some good reference information some is dated, but still some people want a general idea of what they are getting into, and while I do think searching the forums for it is a good option, I also feel that this book does a good job clearing up a few of the basic newbie questions often asked on here, yes it is dated but it's not all that horrible to read it, I never felt like chucking it in the trash bin.

Edit: That 20$ is better spent on a Haynes/Chiltons manual. Thats our bible for torque specs, part locations, how tos, everything.

while the haynes/chilton book is a good basic book.
$20 bucks is better saved up for a copy of the real dsm bible, aka the fsm way more detailed then the chilton/haynes manuals, with the most in depth information.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back