The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Has anyone ever lit up center tail light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zArlen

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2012
Erie, Pennsylvania
Well, I searched to try and find the answer to my question, but didnt get any results to come through so here it goes.... has anyone ever added lights to the middle lens in an eclipse taillight assembly? Is it even possible? I like the idea of having it light up across the entire rear end of the car. Possibly also wiring up sequential turn signals... all behind the stock lenses to keep it clean and OEM looking.

Has anyone ever done either one of these?

Well, I searched to try and find the answer to my question, but didnt get any results to come through so here it goes.... has anyone ever added lights to the middle lens in an eclipse taillight assembly? Is it even possible? I like the idea of having it light up across the entire rear end of the car. Possibly also wiring up sequential turn signals... all behind the stock lenses to keep it clean and OEM looking.

Has anyone ever done either one of these?

Yes its possible. I had middle taillights in the gst I wrecked. Still have the harness setup for it. It didn't really illuminate it like the side bulbs though. I bought it this way though.

Yes its possible. I had middle taillights in the gst I wrecked. Still have the harness setup for it. It didn't really illuminate it like the side bulbs though. I bought it this way though.

It's because the housing is not deep enough for it to light up correctly.
You need to make it deeper.

I feel like I'm a teenager again playing have you ever.If you have done it you have to drink.After playing this game is when you know the next time you play you will have to drink more next time.Well if your a slut like me anyway.

Im thinking that some LEDS would be easier to use....just an idea. Like the led headlight mod.

LEDs are probably be the method I'll end up using when all is said and done. I didn't know if they actually had a housing (shallow or not) or if it was literally just a red lens and nothing more.

I really like the idea of just "eclipse" or "gsx" lettering (maybe the mitsu emblem?) being illuminated while the rest of the center housing/lens in painted body color. Might wait until I repaint the entire car to do the mod just for that reason! :thumb:

I'm a big fan of subtle mods like that - the mods that look like they could be factory by someone that didn't know any better.

Im thinking that some LEDS would be easier to use....just an idea. Like the led headlight mod.

The housing still needs to be deeper.
Check out AZDave's old Eclipse tail lights. He had to make the housing deeper to light up right. Also I would suggest against cheap LEDs, they won't last.

that green eclipse with the custom led setup is really expensive and alot time. unless you very knowledgable on circuit boards sodering and stuff like that not worth it. price after all that done you could've put more hp in the car.

That green eclipse with the custom led setup is really expensive and required a lot of time. Unless you are very knowledgable on circuit boards, sodering and stuff like that it is not worth it. Plus, after all that work you could've put more hp in the car.

Welcome to dsmtuners.

I never said it was easy, cheap or could be completed by someone with no skills. This still is the "Appearance" section last I checked.

FYI...I did this mod after I had already installed a 16G, FMIC, full 3" stainless exhaust, hi-flow cat, fuel mods, etc.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

that green eclipse with the custom led setup is really expensive and alot time. unless you very knowledgable on circuit boards sodering and stuff like that not worth it. price after all that done you could've put more hp in the car.

There's more to a car then just going fast.

The knowledge to do something like Dave's tails can be easily acquired if you want to do it. I didn't know about it until I dove into it but I do have an interest in electrical and I am an Electrician so that helps.

^A for effort but that's what I mean by just putting bulbs in doesn't look right. The whole section isn't lit up and it looks like poop.

Sorry.

Yeah I didn't like it either it looked kinda crappy with the two little circles of light. Not my work though. Gonna try LED 's on this car. Open it up run a few sections that tie in with brake lights only.

Yeah I didn't like it either it looked kinda crappy with the two little circles of light. Not my work though. Gonna try LED 's on this car. Open it up run a few sections that tie in with brake lights only.

That might not look right either.
The housing needs to be deeper for the light to distribute correctly.

azdave did it on his tails and I'm doing it with my Talon too.

If you don't mind dropping the eclipse name in the back you can always go with a Euro style. Though that is a bit out there.

Unless you have time or money (or both) its probably best just to leave it alone due to it not being a common part.

I have done this, i used 2x 12" neon tubes and aluminum foil as a backing to reflect it forward. Then re sealed it again, i resprayed the inside of it with aluminum color paint to have the effect of ECLIPSE show up at night, its not 100% but its very bright and people said its very noticeable from far away, im never on my comp but if i remember i will throw up some snaps of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back