The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Harmonic Balancer gone bad...happen to anyone else? [MERGE]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ok well im going to try and adjust it again first. I that doesnt work i will buy the belt dressing thanks!

Also, to test if it is the belts and not your harmonic balancer, I always use this trick:

With the car running and the belts squeeking, CAREFULLY place a bar of soap on the underside of the belt. If the noise stops, then it is the belt that you put the soap on. Try that for the different belts, and if it doesn't stop the noise, then its most likely the harmonic balancer.

ok well i really did lose a finger guys:cry: haha just kidding but i dont know how to work witht tis the squeel is only on for about 2 seconds, so i dont think i have enough time to check and see where its coming from!!

i think you have the same problem as i do. I know what belt is making the noise and the belt stuff helped but didnt get rid of it comepletely. Its not that embarrasing to have a squeeky belt. Just keep lubing it up and hopefully that should take care of it. thats what i did and got it down to squeeking for like 1/2 a second.

I have that same problem on my Talon. It usually happens only when its cold out, like in the morning before I leave for school. It is my alternator belt, too. I just tightened it and it went away. It sometimes still happens, but like I said, its only when its cold because I think it may be getting old. Once the belts warm up they behave a lot more nicely. If yours behaves like that, then age could be your problem.

siceclipse said:
hes gonna lose a finger.

At least he will already have soap on it when he needs to wash off the blood!

yep.....mine started to rub on the timing belt cover.

I got some "White Out" and ran a straight line from the center on the dampner to the outside.

Mine started to make a lil noise, I checked and the "white out" line wasn't straight anymore on the dampner. The dampner was bearly starting to rub on the timing belt cover.

Mine went...dead of winter cold as hell outside. Heading up the street and CLINK....battery light came on, voltage dropped. Car was still running tho. Checked it figuring it was the cause for all the racket and sure enough it was in two pieces one of which was pinned to the fender well. No major damage tho :thumb:

Stock balancers are garbage and break at random miles sometimes with very bad results.
Get a fluidampr. A bit pricey but very high quality. No more separating pulleys.

Febuary in PA, Snowing, RT 70, 65 MPH, Outside curve next to an 18wheeler, SNAP/CRACK, No power, cant do anything, spin out and I am on the side of the road at an exit.

Thats all I remember and it sucked.

EclipseTrbo420A said:
Febuary in PA, Snowing, RT 70, 65 MPH, Outside curve next to an 18wheeler, SNAP/CRACK, No power, cant do anything, spin out and I am on the side of the road at an exit.

Thats all I remember and it sucked.

snowing,way to work, truck slows in front of me,i slow down,steer around..clunk screeck sqeal.. batt lights on.. no power steering no nothing LOL .. i was about 500 ft from work..just babyied it there ..no damage . had to wait 2 days on the balancer though:notgood:

Hi i was having a squacking soung every time i started my engine, i thought it was the a/c drive belt, it was the older of the three, first tried adjusting and noticed that the adjuster bolt was missing. In my haste and low light i did not get the belt on correctly and after a short drive around the block the belt came off and some got stuck behind the c/s pulley. I removed the belt and noticed that the lower t/b cover was slightly damaged, should i remove the c/s pulley and replace the cover ? or should it be ok ? could i have damaged the T/B ? After removing the a/c belt and not replacing , the engine still made tha same noise when starting up. I also now have belt sqeeking from the other two belts, tried to adjust to stop noise and just got worse.

Think i found my problem, came home for lunch today (Grand Jury) all this week and looked at my belts in good light, when you rev up the engine you can see the c/s pulley twist and the noise gets worse, so i think i have a broken pulley. Is the c/s pulley keyed so there are no problems aligning it and how hard is it to remove ?

It's not that hard to remove, 4 12mm bolts. They might be a little rough breaking free.
There is a notch in the top of the crankshaft pulley.

Thanks, I removed all the belts, it got dark before i got a chance to try and remove the c/s pulley. I can rattle the pulley around, i'm sure this is not good.

Can i go with an underdrive pulley ($50) or should i stick with an oem pulley ($100) ?

If its a street car I'd say stick with the stock(because it has the rubber harmonic dampener). Or you can find a lightened pulley with a harmonic dapener(i've come across one but don't recall where). Most underdrive lightened pulleys do not have the dampener.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back