The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Harmonic balancer bolt just came out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmo123

5+ Year Contributor
May 17, 2018
Danville, Kentucky
Has anyone just had the harmonic balancer bolt just fly out? My washer remained however the bolt flew out while driving and assuming I've kissed valves. Just curious if anyone has had this happen and how to prevent it a second time.

WTF
That is the reason I am yanking my engine. I hope your gear stayed on the key way.....mine did not. :banghead: :cry:

I'll just say it wont happen again.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

@Tanro is 100% correct. So, if HB is still bolted up but crank bolt came out, you shouldn't have bent valves.
This is not correct. If the center bolt comes out the crank gear and harmonic balancer can both shift together and throw a timing belt. If everything is still together and the timing belt is still on consider yourself lucky and put the bolt back in. Check the mechanical timing and put it back together. If the mechanical timing is off assume the worst and hope for the best.

This is not correct. If the center bolt comes out the crank gear and harmonic balancer can both shift together and throw a timing belt. If everything is still together and the timing belt is still on consider yourself lucky and put the bolt back in. Check the mechanical timing and put it back together. If the mechanical timing is off assume the worst and hope for the best.

That's what I'm assuming happened @pauleyman by how the op wrote the post . So, my answer is partially correct, yes?

If the crank bolt came out, then yeah if the key way is damaged or not in place the HB and timing gear could rotate, they could also slide some way off the end of the crank before they hit the frame rail.

I'd put the bolt back in, remove the spark plugs, and turn the engine by hand until the timing marks line up. Verify timing, then spin the engine over by hand a few times to ensure nothing is binding.

I'd also put some loctite on the bolt, then buy a new one asap. If your bolt is coming out its either because its not torqued down, or it has been stretched by being over torqued.

I've had mine loosen up which caused a metal rattling noise. I caught it before it backed out too far but still a close call! I put Loctite on it and torqued to spec, hasn't moved since!

Yeah. I ended up bending every single valve.

Look like this??? This is BAD!!!
Locktite and proper torque when it all goes back together. Also bent every valve. Cam gears are in perfect time, crank gear came off the keyway and all hell broke loose!

Look like this??? This is BAD!!!
Locktite and proper torque when it all goes back together. Also bent every valve. Cam gears are in perfect time, crank gear came off the keyway and all hell broke loose!
Yeah. Same thing bud. We have the same luck.

It won't happen again, will it?? At least you can say you heard of it 1 other time. I was coasting down a hill at 55 mph heading to a car show when mine just shut off, no noise. Had 70# of oil pressure for the next 5 seconds or more according to my log, until I pushed in on the clutch. The log even shows me pushin on the gas and letting off then pushing further before I put it in neutral. Got towed home....my son won a trophy though!!! :ohdamn:

Usually when the bolt comes loose it ruins the crank. :( I lightly coat the crank snout with red loctite. I red locktite the stock bolt and torque it to like 100 ft*lbs. I made a tool to hold the crank still so you can get a good torque on it.

Usually when the bolt comes loose it ruins the crank. :( I lightly coat the crank snout with red loctite. I red locktite the stock bolt and torque it to like 100 ft*lbs. I made a tool to hold the crank still so you can get a good torque on it.
I just put the car in gear and put the wheels on the ground. You can get the torque on it that way.

Or just hit it with 4 or maybe even 5 dakas

Last edited:
We call em Ugga Dugga's, LOL.
Curt, i will be checking the snout, like you mentioned to me back when this first happened and thanks for the tips. I sure ruin's your day when something like 1 bolt takes out 2K of parts or whatever. :f-u: :(

I just put the car in gear and put the wheels on the ground. You can get the torque on it that way.

Or just hit it with 4 or maybe even 5 dakas

We call em Ugga Dugga's, LOL.
Curt, i will be checking the snout, like you mentioned to me back when this first happened and thanks for the tips. I sure ruin's your day when something like 1 bolt takes out 2K of parts or whatever. :f-u: :(

Both of you take that sloppy shit and shove it right back under the retarded rock it came from. No tolerance for that hacked bullshit. Clearly this is a critical fastener. They get torqued, not impacted.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back