Harbor Freight Tools to avoid?

Posted by iTSaTSi, Feb 21, 2012
Newbie Thread Graveyard - Repetitive questions already answered in the FAQ Forum, Tech Articles, other New Member required reading, VFAQ.com, etc. This is a read-only forum. If your thread ends up here, you didn't do the required reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iTSaTSi

iTSaTSi Probationary Member

Wheeling, West_Virginia
    Alright, so I've been wondering which tools from HF actually hold up and which ones don't. The majority of my tools are Snap-On/MAC/Craftsman and I'd like to start doubling up on tools I use more often. If anyone has used HF tools and had a good or bad experience then by all means feel free to reply. Thanks in advance. :hellyeah:
  2. DsMWookie

DsMWookie Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Can't beat their aluminum jack

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
  3. topekagsx

topekagsx Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Topeka, Kansas
    I've had pretty good experience with the tools I've bought at hf. Don't waste $ on the extended warranty...usually if it's from hf and it's going to break it'll do it in the 1st 90days which they already cover.
  4. little-razcal

little-razcal Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Just my experience, but I bought one of those compression kits and the gauge was way off. It actually scared me half to death. It gave me 120 psi on every cylinder. I allmost threw in the towel. After doing some research I got another tester from craftsman and my compression shot up to 160psi. That's a 40psi difference.

For any tools required to measure important aspects of a motor, I would look elsewhere for sure. I have however had a 1/2 ratchet to some time along with lots of sockets from there.
  5. Aproductions

Aproductions Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    94.1%
    DSM Profiles:
    Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
    Well I mean my father was a mechanic for 25+ years so he has all the snap on and mac tools so when I got into cars I went to HF to save some money (I could always use his).

Anyways, their tools are fine and you can really tell if it is too cheaply made when you see it/hold it.

I mean sometimes the wrenches flex a little more than normal if you use the open end on something tight that you can't get the closed end on (if something in the way).

Overall I think they are fine and to answer your question just go there and check them out.
  6. Calan

Calan DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    OKC, Oklahoma
    Please search before starting a new thread.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/han...ist-good-vs-bad.html?highlight=harbor freight

For future reference, non-technical threads of this nature belong in the hangout forum, rather than the technical threads.
  7. snowborder714

snowborder714 Moderator

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania
    Hmm...I'll have to see if the search function is broke today. Or maybe that nifty function above the thread title when you go to create it that shows similar threads.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hangout/409553-harbor-freight-list-good-vs-bad.html
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.