half shaft

Posted by killab443, Jul 8, 2004

Please Support Extreme Turbo Systems
  1. killab443

killab443 Proven Member

Joined Nov 24, 2003
    Howell, New Jersey
    I have a 92 eclipse fwd turbo 6 bolt, I was wondering why the driverside axle is so long and there is no half shaft. Is a halfshaft better? could I just bolt up A halfshaft with a shorter axle to it or does aything else have to be done?

2. crankbender

crankbender Proven Member

Joined Apr 15, 2002
    houston, Texas
    You have a 1 piece drivers side axle? Are you sure the able isn't bolted to the back of the engine block with a carrier bearing?

3. pinknuggit

pinknuggit Proven Member

Joined Oct 15, 2003
    joplin, Missouri
    no, it is a solid axle because i have one too. it just goes from the differential straight to the hub on each side of the car.

4. crankbender

crankbender Proven Member

Joined Apr 15, 2002
    houston, Texas
    damn that sucks...

The only reason you will need to upgrade is if you break it. I don't know about the placement of the carrier bearing on the 1g 7bolt block, but seeing as they have gsx versions that year there are surely half shafts out there for you to get.

Next time you need to replace it you may want to try and locate one off a gsx...or just say you have a gsx at the parts store and it will probably fit. No guarantees though.

5. DevilSperm

DevilSperm Proven Member

Joined Oct 28, 2002
    Holdrege, Nebraska
    AWD's have half shafts, FWD's dont

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

11.296 @ 120.790 MPH
  6. killab443

killab443 Proven Member

Joined Nov 24, 2003
    Howell, New Jersey