The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

GSX or GS-T?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGruff

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 22, 2002
Greer_SC
K looking into trading in my NT eclipse for the real thing. I finally got all my parts picked out and i am ready to go..but. I need the car first. Now i have the money to get either a GS-T or a GSX. I know the GSX gives your more traction but more parts to break. The GS-T is oposite. so what should i do guys? Your opinions are needed. Here is a run down of my Parts Wish List.

Engine

Free Mods
NGK spark plugs
Mag 8.5m Wires
Injen Intake
Lightweight Pulleys
Greddy BOV
Joe MBC
VOD Boost and EGT Gauges
Lo-Tek Dual A-POD
HKS TT
Apexi-N1
Hi-Flow Cat
Eliminator 02 and Down pipe Combo
Ported Exhaust Manifold
650c injectors
Extreme Fuel Pump
S-AFC
Greddy FMIC
Big16g Turbo, Ported and Clipped.

Suspension/wheels/Apperence

18x8 Konig Tantrums 225/40/18 712’s
Eba Pro Kit Drop
KYB Adj Shocks
Carbon Fiber Tail lights

Originally posted by 99 gst 420a dsm
hey i represent that 420a turbo bashing, i have all the power i need and dont have the crankwalk sh!t on my mind, plus my insurans is lower, and it will drive my FWD tsi into the ground, however gst or gsx is any mans own personal preference, i like the gst because it is lighter and if you know how to drive you can take any gsx, maybe not in the take off but while they are smoking clutches and burning up there transaxles you will be on your way, i happen to like both, i have driven and owned both, i have to say that i wouldnt give up my 97 rst tho.... just my $.02

This is the same response that Honduh boys give. Have they learned anything yet? No, most of them still believe Honduh is god's gift to cars. When you want real power you ditch FWD and get either RWD or AWD. :thumb:

I just want to say, since EVO8 is coming out, maybe you should just save money and buy EVO8 if you want AWD. Plus, I never heard any previous EVO (EVO1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) has Crank Walk problem. I have an 97 GST and I really love it, however, the crank walk problem kinda hold me back on Mod, which is sux for me.

You guys speak of this "crankwalk"...what is it anyway? is it something to worry about? I am seriously considering an eclipse for my next car.

BTW, I am 16 now and was wondering what insurance costs are like for the turbo models?

:dsm: a gs-t can hole shot if you tweak the suspension right and wrap your rims with some good rubber, u can even go as far as slicks..........therefore, you're a lot lighter than a gsx and you can still come out of the hole good. they're both great cars, so its up to you:dsm:

I say we finally pull the plug on this thread, cause it's already on it's death bed. But, ofcourse, I put my last two cents in :rolleyes: ... the only advantage in an awd is the off the line take off... after your already moving, it makes absolutely no difference... in drag, two evenly tuned cars (one awd, the other whatever) the awd will win... but there are always other factors, like the power to weight ratio and the driver. on the freeway, it makes no difference what drivetrain u have as long as u have the power. in road course, it doesn't matter either, it's all on the driver. A lot of people still don't realize that awd can have the same understeering problems the fwd has. I've seen people throw around an fwd like it's a rwd! it's all on the suspension set-up and the driver... ALWAYS ON THE DRIVER. If I had a choice, I would honestly take a awd, who wouldn't... but I'm more than content with my fwd... the only disadvantage in the fwd is the damn wheel spin, but it's nothing to cry about. :p

HMMMm im gona stick with fwd for now, i heard peeplz sayin stuff bout gsx are good off the start, true but when i raced a friend in his awd we were pretty much head to head, not a big difference, plus i had a friend in the car so me and a freind in my fwd vs my other friend in his gsx and i didnt see him get me off the line that much. So im sticken to my fwd just becuz it is ligher weight and all i need to do to get a better launch is umm iono like get some wider tires in the front so less spin and fix the suspension. So im for fwd(i wouldnt mind a gsx though :thumb: )

Originally posted by Twista-Flip
HMMMm im gona stick with fwd for now, i heard peeplz sayin stuff bout gsx are good off the start, true but when i raced a friend in his awd we were pretty much head to head, not a big difference, plus i had a friend in the car so me and a freind in my fwd vs my other friend in his gsx and i didnt see him get me off the line that much. So im sticken to my fwd just becuz it is ligher weight and all i need to do to get a better launch is umm iono like get some wider tires in the front so less spin and fix the suspension. So im for fwd(i wouldnt mind a gsx though :thumb: )

Let's not throw around false information. I believe we have already come to the conclusion that AWD is better off the line and FWD is better from a roll. As one person stated already above, "different strokes for different folks."

Originally posted by eXploitedGST
depends on what year too.. some of the 1st generation got 3-bolt rear end axles or something like that and break easily causing lots of headaches. 2nd gerenation anything turbo u get crankwalk. whatever u prefer to deal with.

what years did the rear end have problems and what exactly is the problem?

Originally posted by LTQuick

what years did the rear end have problems and what exactly is the problem?

Pre-93 (late 92 to be exact) DSMs had 3 Bolt rear-end, which is simply weaker. I can't say that it's problematic, it just won't handle as much as a 4-bolt, which first came in late 92 models. However, in 93, they've also switched to 7-bolt engine, which has smaller connecting rods (but not prone to CW up till 2Gs were out as far as I remember)

At this poing, THE BEST 1G you can find would be late 92 model, which came with 6-bolt engine AND 4-bolt rear-end. Those are somewhat rare, but may be worth looking for.

Of course, you can simply swap 4-bolt Rear into any 3-bolt DSM without any issues.

why are people still posting in this thread? the guy started this in 02......

because people like you(and me now!) post on it asking why its still going... bringing it back to the top, for new people(like me), to see and reply to, like me... make sense? LOL..

its True that AWD has the chance to break more parts, but just put in a 4 spider gear upgrade, go here http://www.rothbuilt.com/speeddesign
its like 600 bucks but it makes your center diff alot stronger, the only time I'd want a FWD is if I planned on doing alot of burnouts, and then if u want traction with a FWD you have to install a limited slip differential which is a big job.

I know this thread is dead, but I feel the GS-T SPyder isn't getting enough attention. I drove both a GSX and A Spyder before I bought my car. Honestly, there is no feeling like having the top down, and rippin a mustang a new one. Just a thought, not sayin AWD is bad, but I wouldn't trade my spyder for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back