The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

GSX or GS-T?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGruff

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 22, 2002
Greer_SC
K looking into trading in my NT eclipse for the real thing. I finally got all my parts picked out and i am ready to go..but. I need the car first. Now i have the money to get either a GS-T or a GSX. I know the GSX gives your more traction but more parts to break. The GS-T is oposite. so what should i do guys? Your opinions are needed. Here is a run down of my Parts Wish List.

Engine

Free Mods
NGK spark plugs
Mag 8.5m Wires
Injen Intake
Lightweight Pulleys
Greddy BOV
Joe MBC
VOD Boost and EGT Gauges
Lo-Tek Dual A-POD
HKS TT
Apexi-N1
Hi-Flow Cat
Eliminator 02 and Down pipe Combo
Ported Exhaust Manifold
650c injectors
Extreme Fuel Pump
S-AFC
Greddy FMIC
Big16g Turbo, Ported and Clipped.

Suspension/wheels/Apperence

18x8 Konig Tantrums 225/40/18 712’s
Eba Pro Kit Drop
KYB Adj Shocks
Carbon Fiber Tail lights

AWD is by far way better. My friends all have dsms 2 fwds and 1 awd. One of them has a 97 gst with about 350hp and he would get killed by the 1G AWD with boost controller and exhaust. Oh wait the AWD has a misfire too.

I think it really comes down to what you prefer. Me i am a Stop light/ Track guy. I dont go on the highway as much. Mostly street driving. GSX is prefect for what i need to do with it. Launchs. I cant wait when i pull up on a 5.0 which alot of little boys have around here and smoke him. It will be a feeling of great JOY! Of course mods and other things will have to be done to get this task at hand. I also learned the hard way..never under estimate your opponite.

Originally posted by 1Gdreamin
AWD is by far way better. My friends all have dsms 2 fwds and 1 awd. One of them has a 97 gst with about 350hp and he would get killed by the 1G AWD with boost controller and exhaust. Oh wait the AWD has a misfire too.

I don't think the owner of the GST can drive. I hate to say this but he should kill the AWD with that much HP/Torque. The FWD would not get the AWD on the launch but by top end he should pass the AWD. Were talking 350HP which is average for detuned 20G turbo.

Ahh the immortal question..GS-T vs.GSX. For me it was a matter of economics. The prices for later eclipses around here, is in my oppinion insane. I even saw a dealer selling a 99 gs, NT for almost 18k. GSX's if you can find them are usually at a dealer and are 21k+ even saw a 98 GSX over 20k. I got a steal on mine, but I got lucky. There really was no way for me to find a GSX with a stick and with good miles that was a reasonable price. If you can find one grab it. But also dont feel left out if you can only get your hands on a GS-T.

I personally have 2 1990 gsx's. for the money, the 1g is cheaper and has more headroom. (i'm 5'8" and hit my head on my 97 with the seat back straight up, so i sold it) If you are absolutely hooked on the 2g, get a gsx. as for the handling, it will understeer in a tight corner. the key is braking early then punching it as you enter the corner. by the time you exit the corner, your boost is there and boom, there you go off to the next corner. driving technique means more in an autocross than the type of car you have. I killed many mustangs with an old beat to crap 180,000 mile 83 rx-7 because the mustangs would overpower coming out of the corners and lose traction on the back end. If you put comp t/a r1's on the front and cheap tires on the back you can flip the back end out just fine with a gsx. Unless you want to spend 25 grand on a raillart 6 speed dogbox for your car, you will have a trans go south. It comes with the territory. The fwd front axles are thicker than a gsx, but i have yet to break one. and the 3 bolt can easily be replaced with a 4 bolt rear.

90% of people with GS-Ts dont know how to drive them it takes alot more skill than a GS-X. If you launch right you can beat a GS-X stock but when you throw alot of mods in the picture, traction becomes a huge problem for the GS-T.

Originally posted by EcLiPSe 9R
90% of people with GS-Ts dont know how to drive them it takes alot more skill than a GS-X. If you launch right you can beat a GS-X stock but when you throw alot of mods in the picture, traction becomes a huge problem for the GS-T.

If so then why don't people opt for the GST if they are so quick off the line?

i have a FWD turbo laser...my best 60' EVER at the track is a 2.26...that is horribly slow compared to AWD, which can easily pull a 1.8x short time. there is almost a half a second difference right there. Anyone that knows something about drag racing knows that a slight advantage off the line usually ends up as a big advantage at the end of the track. Now when you are talking about stock vs stock, it usually ends up about the same because of driveline loss and the fact that the stock (2g) turbo runs out of steam at 5 grand anyway. When my 90 FWD was stock i got a 14.9@94mph out of it. not bad considering i wasnt even a good driver then. I wish i would have gotten the GSX just for the simple fact that instead of a 13.89 in my sig it would probably be closer to a 13.1 with the same mods. However unlike my friends that race AWDs, i have NEVER had a tranny related incident in my car--knock on wood. In the end it comes down to personal preference and what you can find. if i could have found an AWD i would have bought one of those instead, but in the end i am happy with my FWD even though its not as fast as it could be with AWD. I have seen my friends FWD w/slicks and an LSD pull a 1.75 60' so there is still hope.

Like so many of you have responded, it depends on what you like to do: The drag boys or guys and gals off to stomp on Mustangs and Camaros are much better off with AWD - maybe an aircraft catapault can accelerate you as fast!. If you want all weather capability (you have only one car, and it needs to get you to work every day) than the AWD is the preferred lot.

For the cornering types, the FWD version has advantages - it can be tuned to corner more neutral than the AWD, is lighter, has a better brake to weight ratio, etc.

I love the FWD I have - it feels light and, once moving, seems to be the most agile thing out there. I'll admit it is nasty for drag starts - either spin the tires or bog the heck out the engine, but I rarely drag on the street anyways.

Good luck!

Kyle

You would? Oh it's good stuff. Just gives you a big huge grin when you pass an S4 going up a curvy mountain road. :) :) Muhahaha. Front wheel drive isn't as "inferior" as all of you awd guys want to make out.

Originally posted by FyxxterZC
You would? Oh it's good stuff. Just gives you a big huge grin when you pass an S4 going up a curvy mountain road. :) :) Muhahaha. Front wheel drive isn't as "inferior" as all of you awd guys want to make out.

Can't speak about a GS-T but my previous car (Prelude) was FWD. After going AWD I'll never buy a FWD again.

Originally posted by FyxxterZC

I had FWD and after AWD I would never go back. You can power in and out of the curve. My friend hates his FWD because the rear sways around when mine would be planted.

The only advantage that FWD has is topend. If they did so well on autoX then most of those racers would dump their AWD to get that FWD.

Actually, I am big into autoX and My friend has a 91 Laser non AWD model and he said he prefers it over the AWD just due to the fact that every race he goes to he always has to hear some of his fellow racers complaining about blowing another trans. He is happy with his FWD and btw, i did have the option of going with AWD but I decided to keep my insurance down and I guaruntee you spent more on your car, and insurance than I have. In the end, cost was a big factor to me...

I baught my car for 9k with 74k miles and insurance actually prefers AWD. It's a safety factor

Originally posted by madmax
I'd say get a Gst Spyder, but I'm a little biased.

Spyder if a very appealing car. Broadypunk which lives near me has one and I got a ride in it the other day. Very nice car but heavier then a GSX isn't it?

They didn't ask me at first but after the second payment I made they asked and the rate didn't go up or down. My insurance has never gone up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back