1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

GSX or GS-T?

Posted by McGruff, Aug 8, 2002

Please Support STM Tuned
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGruff

McGruff Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2002
    K looking into trading in my NT eclipse for the real thing. I finally got all my parts picked out and i am ready to go..but. I need the car first. Now i have the money to get either a GS-T or a GSX. I know the GSX gives your more traction but more parts to break. The GS-T is oposite. so what should i do guys? Your opinions are needed. Here is a run down of my Parts Wish List.

Engine

Free Mods
    NGK spark plugs
    Mag 8.5m Wires
    Injen Intake
    Lightweight Pulleys
    Greddy BOV
    Joe MBC
    VOD Boost and EGT Gauges
    Lo-Tek Dual A-POD
    HKS TT
    Apexi-N1
    Hi-Flow Cat
    Eliminator 02 and Down pipe Combo
    Ported Exhaust Manifold
    650c injectors
    Extreme Fuel Pump
    S-AFC
    Greddy FMIC
    Big16g Turbo, Ported and Clipped.

Suspension/wheels/Apperence

18x8 Konig Tantrums 225/40/18 712’s
    Eba Pro Kit Drop
    KYB Adj Shocks
    Carbon Fiber Tail lights

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Dannyboy1201

Dannyboy1201 Proven Member

Joined Nov 26, 2001
    , North Dakota
    Go w/ GSX

3. L2RTSiAWD

L2RTSiAWD Moderator

Joined Apr 8, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    It's really up to you. I prefer AWD. I'm sure some will say they love FWD( I don't know why ;) ).

4. Hobbes =^.^=

Hobbes =^.^= Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2002
    GSX - For light to light
    Beat GST from a stop

GST - for highways runs
    Beat GSX from a roll

I prefer the GSX ;)

=^.^=

5. eclipx

eclipx Proven Member

Joined Aug 7, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    well, you can open up a gsx more, bolt ons and what not to lower the spool up time(im learning already), and the differnece on a roll will hardly matter. go w/ AWD imo

My DSM:
  6. eXploitedGST

eXploitedGST Proven Member

Joined Jul 27, 2002
    depends on what year too.. some of the 1st generation got 3-bolt rear end axles or something like that and break easily causing lots of headaches. 2nd gerenation anything turbo u get crankwalk. whatever u prefer to deal with.

My DSM:
  7. CL MaNTis GST

CL MaNTis GST Proven Member

Joined Jul 16, 2002
    please dont say the c word in front of me!! =/ u'll make me want to go sell my car off tomorrow :(

8. LAZPNO

LAZPNO Proven Member

Joined Aug 9, 2002
    The only reason I could possibly say AWD is because of wheelspin. Say you're playing around on the street with some 5.slow, or you're on the track racing it up, wheelspin will kill you if you aren't completely used to the new clutch you got or what not.

9. 99GST

99GST Proven Member

Joined Dec 26, 2001
    Nashville, Tennessee
    dont listen to him. he is a #@%#@%#@%#@%ing idiot. any engine can get crankwalk. Just make sure you stay away from 95-96. they have the highest percentage of 2g's that crankwalked....with 99 being the best year.

10. Niknuk

Niknuk Proven Member

Joined Jul 2, 2002
    Penn Hills, Pennsylvania
    As much as I love DSMs, I wouldn't have gone near them if they didn't have awd. I think that you would be better off buying awd, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. I've never heard of anyone who had awd that wished he had fwd.

11. b00sted99-X

b00sted99-X Proven Member

Joined Apr 24, 2002
    GSX all the way, aside from the obvious cool AWD factor it helps me personally because i am such a sh**ty lead footed driver that i get mad wheel hop trying to launch my friends 96 cavalier, and mad rear wheel spin out trying to launch my other friend's 99 BMW 318. with the GSX launches are very nice. heheh.

i definitely agree with niknuk. the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

12. McGruff

McGruff Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2002
    Alright awesome guys thanks for the input. Looks like its now time to find a freaking AWD. They are hella hard to find unless you wanna go 500 miles to pick it up. O ya the years i was looking at was 99-97. Time to start scouting.

Found a few on Cars.com going to be calling them today some time to get some info. Thanks guys for all of your input.

13. b00sted99-X

b00sted99-X Proven Member

Joined Apr 24, 2002
    yeah dude good luck with that! if you don't already know about these, check out autotrader.com also -- as well as dsmtrader.com (although what you buy from there probably won't be stock)

14. Beef Lo Mein

Beef Lo Mein Proven Member

Joined Aug 1, 2002
    I found and 97 GSX modded. I assume the 97 that I am interested is pretty safe from the crankwalk problem, no?

15. InferiorWang

InferiorWang Proven Member

Joined May 18, 2002
    Nashville/Knoxville, Tennessee
    safer than a 95-96 but not immune

16. mattn

mattn Proven Member

Joined Jul 24, 2002
    Go with the GSX. You will not regret it! :)

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

14.787 @ 94.710 MPH
  17. RegulatorDSM

RegulatorDSM Proven Member

Joined Aug 5, 2002
    I have heard that the GS_T is lighter because of it's lack of the AWD parts and that it would beat a gsx stock. I also heard that AWD breaks a lot, as far as maintainance waht is the difference? thanks
    Also, please explin what crankwalk is.

18. Sartuche24

Sartuche24 Proven Member

Joined May 8, 2002
    Somewhere, Indiana
    I know lots of people who have 95-97 AWDs and there cars haven't crankwalked. I just think you have to get lucky. Not all of the 95-96 will get it but most do. Plus they have a lot of higher miles than the 97-99 so there going to crankwalk sooner but give it a few more years and I bet some more 97-99 will start to crankwalk. Also 1G's have been known to crankwalk also but not as much. It usually happens between 50,000-70,000 miles on most of the cars that walk.

My DSM:
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

15.241 @ 88.310 MPH
  19. InferiorWang

InferiorWang Proven Member

Joined May 18, 2002
    Nashville/Knoxville, Tennessee
    if you launch hard a lot you will break more driveline parts on an AWD.
    gst is lighter than gsx but does not get as good of a launch that is why people suggest gsx from a stop and gst from a roll.

20. diamondstar36

diamondstar36 Proven Member

Joined Jul 25, 2002
    Arlington, Texas
    Naa.. even the 3-bolt rear end is pretty strong. There are 1G AWDs running 11s on their stock 3-bolt. Crankwalk happens in a little under half of the 2Gs.. Just check the crank play before you buy any 2G.. if it's even close to out of spec, walk away.

Freshly DSMed likes this.
  21. BerZerk

BerZerk Proven Member

Joined May 28, 2002
    , California
    Yea, even though I drive a GS-T I'd rather go with the GSX. Only problem was that it was a #@%#@%#@%#@%#@% to find a 97-99 GSX with good miles. They're realy hard to find unless you're willing to pay 17k. But hey if you got the money, go for it ! I would prefer a GSX also. =)

22. mdre21

mdre21 Proven Member

Joined Jul 29, 2002
    think about what you will use the car for as well. If you want straight line, drag speed go with the gsx. But if you prefer to really test your skill and actually turn the wheel get the gst. Even with the mods you have listed the gsx won't be powerful enough for autocrosses and some turns (road races with large radius turns are an exception for the most part.) I say that because the power gets distributed to 4 wheels obviously and usually isn't enough to break the rear tires loose, especialy during an autocross, or on low speed turns. It will make the car seem like the steering lags and I've seen time and time again gsx owners at autocrosses on some road races that can't overcome their understeer problem and for the most part gsx'ers not perform well in those type of events (there are exceptions). So basically have to decide what you want to use your car for and go from there and how quickly you are going to modify your car. Stock for Stock the gst is quicker than the gsx because of the weight difference.

Freshly DSMed and Warpigeon like this.
  23. eclipx

eclipx Proven Member

Joined Aug 7, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    the GSX will go through more clutches, but the GST will go through more trannys.. clutches are just a bit cheaper... heh

My DSM:
  24. 98SilverGS-T

98SilverGS-T Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2002
    pomona, California
    Of course everyone is gonna prefer AWD over FWD cause of the traction. When I was looking for my car I knew there was an AWD version but for reason I never really wanted one. :confused: I haven't changed my mind yet either...

lonewolf97gst likes this.
  25. EvolvingGST

EvolvingGST Proven Member

Joined Jun 24, 2002
    Boston, Massachusetts
    also some losses on power in the beginning because of AWD system... so ur not right. because they both run the same 1/4 stock.

as for the question get a GSX because in the long run they will get you a faster better handling car. it all comes down to the mods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.