1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

GST has trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd

Posted by Justin L Morris, Sep 12, 2018

Please Support Feal Suspension
Tags:
  1. Justin L Morris

Justin L Morris Probationary Member

Joined Sep 12, 2018
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    Hello, i have a 1990 GST 5spd. I've been having this issue recently where it wont shift from 2nd to 3rd smoothly. Everytime i go from 2nd to 3rd it feels like there is a brick wall in the way and once i mess with the shifter a bit it then will go in. It has no issue with any other gear, and i can shift from 3rd to 2nd with no issue. it's just going into 3rd. Any advice would be great !
    Thanks

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    The shift to 3rd has always been a common problem. Most likely you have a bad synchro and that usually causes a grind when you try and shift. However, if you don't have a grind then maybe something is off with your shift linkage or possibly a bent shift rail or something inside the transmission.

My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

GT30   manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

16g   manual
  3. Justin L Morris

Joined Sep 12, 2018
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    yeah i dont have any grinds or pop outs. I have to go from 2nd to neutral which also is a pain but once i get it there i can move it into 3rd without issue

4. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    My DSM:
    1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

GT30   manual
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)

16g   manual
  5. Dsm panda

Dsm panda Proven Member

Joined Dec 8, 2017
    Franklin, Wisconsin
    How are the shifter bushings(the ones on the shifter not the endlinks)? Mine where like gone and I had a slight grind from 1st to 2nd if not revmatching.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi

327 whp   307 lb/ft
    1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo

Street Build

manual
  6. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

14.200 @ 95.000 MPH
  7. Justin L Morris

Joined Sep 12, 2018
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    It doesnt grind at all. So if im driving i go 1st, 2nd, then once the clutch is fully down i attempt 3rd, it wont go in. The shifter feels like it hits a wall and wont go into neutral until i mess with it a bit. Then once in neutral it will go up to 3rd and so on. It just doesnt wanna go from 2nd into 3rd. Feels like there is something like stuck holding it from going in. until i mess with it. but once in 3rd its fine. And it shifts down from 3rd to 2nd with no problem

8. Justin L Morris

Joined Sep 12, 2018
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    previous owner installed a short shifter. Unsure of brand. But i've heard the oem shifter is best

9. stillrunning

stillrunning Probationary Member

Joined Oct 10, 2013
    brandon, Florida
    My guess would be something wrong in the linkage from what you describe, kinda like the 1/2 shift rail is not getting completely back to neutral so the interlock is keeping you from split shifting between 2nd and 3rd until you wiggle the linkage enough to get it back to drop to neutral then you can proceed to 3rd.

I would look at the linkage at the transmission and the shifter and see if everything is working as it should without excessive slop or binding.

10. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    - Are the shifter cable casings mounted securely to the tranny so they don't move?

- Do you have this shifting problem when engine is off, or only when accelerating/decelerating, or ??????

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

14.200 @ 95.000 MPH
  11. Justin L Morris

Joined Sep 12, 2018
    Altoona, Pennsylvania
    When engine is off and on. I figured out it is the bushings on the shifter. Any links to some OEM ones would be great