The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 2g GST Dummy Oil Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduran1220

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 26, 2011
Las Vegas, Nevada
From what I understand this oil light is not a low oil level light but a low pressure light. Ive looked all over nothing is whats going on with my oil light. Now the light switch was broken most of the time I've had the car. but I always had oil going everywhere it needed too. I found this out for sure when I redid the head. Then oil pump front case gasket started leaking big time around the timing belt. So I toke off front case cleaned inspected oil pump gears no metal shavings at all. No scraping of any kind on the case. I reassembled gears exactly like I pulled them. Both marks on the gears pointing at each other like jafro mentioned on his Youtube vid. Im keeping my Balance shafts. I made sure they were still good as well as the bearings. Toke off the OFH off case removed sending and light(not the broken one I had replaced already) switches scrubbed the OFH clean. Reinstalled the front to block new oem gasket I cleaned both surfaces to its machined finish with clean razor blades new oem BS crackshaft oil pump seals installed OFH oem gasket i installed a SS oil turbo feed line because i twisted the fittings trying to remove them but failed. After reassembled everything back light switch wire was damaged and i replaced it along with new connector fired right up, didn't take it on road for about 2 hours idling. Checking for leaks. Oil pump case problem solved. The next toke on the road day no light did long drives no light. The next week light began flickering at a stop light, I pulled over to check oil level oil it was full. Started car remove oil cap immediately squirted out oil all over me when I revved the engine LOL. Came home removed timing cover to check for leaks found none.

1st pic is revving to 1000 rpm no light

2nd pic is at idle 700-800 rpm give or take estimate no light

3rd pic is at idle 700-800 rpm with light flickering not staying completely on

Light does not turn on while driving
never goes pass 1st high pressure line maybe a little pass the oil can picture at 90mph

The pin always stays right where the pic shows then starts flickering I've ordered oem light and gauge switches just haven't gotten them yet.

I don't get it on what to do after this...

Attachments

• 20150528_115557.jpg
    20150528_115557.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 612
  • 20150528_114357.jpg
    20150528_114357.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 290
  • 20150528_115537.jpg
    20150528_115537.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 309
Do yourself a favor: buy an electric oil pressure gauge. That light cannot be trusted. This way, you'll always know if/how much oil pressure you have.

I don't have a A-pillar gauge pod or a cluster with 2 extra gauges. I want the Lotek pod for spyder but picking a good set to match up with my stock cluster. Would it good to get a Evo 3 OFH I seen that its better then getting the sandwich adapter for oil gauges. I saw this on Jafro vids too.

Check the oil light wire. Mine did that twice. Once when the connection broke. The other time is when the wire broke. At higher idle or driving it vibrated enough to give a connection. And low idle it didn't make a good connection. If it continues get a new sensor

As stated before I recommend you get a different oil pressure switch, it sounds to me like it could be faulty, try swapping out for another OEM one from a scrapyard or such.

-K

I got my new sensors I just hit my 3k for my oil change. I wanted to wait for this moment because i know imma make a mess. Now correct me if I'm wrong. After I replace the parts the light should vanish. I toke a vid and pics looking into the VC. It's squirted everywhere. Can't load it. What gauges should I get??? The brand I mean. I want to get at least 5 1 is definitely gonna be wideband the rest I have no idea. Glowshift comes with the gauges but from what read they don't fit spyders perfect/perfectly. So Imma have to mix and match with Lotek gauge pod

I would definitely get a wideband. Also look into a boost gauge if you don't already have one, the stock ones have been known to not be as reliable. As far as brands, some reputable brands I have used and heard of are Autometer, AEM, Innovate, i'm sure there are plenty more. Let me know if it fixes your problem!

I don't know if they even have one, make sure you put them on with thread seal tape. I just made sure that they were tight and didn't leak.

It's been a few days now. I changed my oil used a high quality filter and mobile 1 motor synthetic oil. I replaced the oil light switch and sending switch and no oil light. Been doing long long drives and no oil light. I guess it's safe to say the a new oem parts fixed the problem. Oil had no metal shavings at all in the oil. SS lines holding strong with no light. I still wanna get a wide band, boost & oil pressure gauges for now I bought the glowshift 2 gauge cluster. As of right now the oil light is fixed. All it toke was new oem sensors. Thanks everyone for there inputs. I greatly appreciate it!!!!!!

For searching for oil light help BUY and install new oem sensors it worked from me and I also did oil port mod 1#, #2 & #3 performed and deep cleaned the OFH

Oil gauge pressure switch p# MD133273
Oil light pressure switch p# 1258A002

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back