The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

GST bogging down when accelerating

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclispse96GST

Probationary Member
Oct 18, 2005
Kennewick, Washington
hey guys, i am looking at a 96 eclipse GST that a guy has for sale. he has got a hks turbo timer, DSMLink engine managment system, wideband, 3" exhaust, boost controller, greddy bov, greddy piping, greddy intercooler on it. the guy says that the car bogs down really bad when you get on the gas and sometimes dies. i was woundering because he doesnt have any type of fuel upgrade on it and maybe that is why it is dying? could it need a better fuel pump or bigger injectors? anything would help.

thanks
bryan

the guy says that he just recently rebuilt the motor. he had it professionaly done and i have seen the papers for it. i will ask him a few more questions tonight. i think that it wont be to bad, i am looking for a car that i can "fix" up just a little.

bryan

It just 'boggs' across the whole RPM range when under WOT - because he as DSMLink it is possible that it could not even be closed to tuned right. It could also be the spark plugs / wires. My GST did this for awhile (only on hard acce.) because of that.

Does it fall right on its face RIGHT when you hit the gas, or once things get underway?(Does it start to go, then bog, or just bog as soon as you get into it. Slowly press the gas pedal in while driving to tell.)

Stock turbo / stock injectors correct? I am guessing he took off that stuff to keep for himself? Or just hasn't gotten around to it? :coy:

it will bogg down right after u jump on it, you can feather the throttle and it will get up to speed but you cant get on it without it boggin down

bryan

i talked to the guy last night and talked to him alot more about the car. he said that he just had the motor rebuilt and that it is timed. i was wondering though if the car would just need alot of tuning done to it then? i am not really familiar with the turbo cars yet but i have a few friends that live around here and know what they are doing. what do u guys think?

bryan

Wrong kind/gap of spark plugs.
Bad plug wires.
Clogged fuel filter.
Running pig rich.
Bad MAF.
Boost leak.
Poor coil pack.
If 1G CAS, CAS 180° outa phase (possible but unlikely).
Poor battery.

Start with the plugs ;)

this car could be running super super rich. I had my BOV hooked on wrong and when i started the car, i couldnt even let off the clutch without it bogging down so bad and when i reved it the car would almost die. I fixed the problem though.
I would check his air/fuel setup, so i would look at his tuning that he did.

ya, when i get the car i am going to take and get new plugs, wires, fuel filter, clean the air filter, make sure there arent any leaks anywhere.

are these motors that hard to tune? he has the DSMlink in it. i no almost nothing about turbos, but i do know a few guys that are good with them.

since the motor is rebuilt, how long do you have to break them in for and is there any "special" break-in process that i have to go through?

thanks
bryan

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back