The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Euro GS ----> GST swap, fuse box different

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patman

5+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2017
Budapest, Europe
I'm planning to do a GS to GST upgrade, I have most of the parts, but I found out the GST has a smaller fuse box, to make the air filter fit in. I recently found some old pics of GST upgraded engine bays and it seems like they made the fuse box disappear somehow, how could they do that?

This is my engine bay with the factory fuse box:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is an OEM(ish) GST with smaller fuse box:

This is the one, where the fuse box miraculously disappeared:

Has anyone done something similar, or know how can I fit in the air filter, and where does that fuse box go?

You can relocate to the glove box, or anywhere really if your wire tucking skills are good enough.
Just unbolt your fuse box and snip the plastic wire ties that hold the harness in place and you can move your box a few inches to accommodate a bigger air filter or intercooler piping. You can alsi get a gst/GSX coolant reservoir to free up some room. Look up "wire tuck DSM" for more ideas.

I really wish they sold the 4g63 DSMs in the US, the 420a motor was just an embarrassment and lends to the bad reputation given to DSMs.
Are you upgrading internals or are you just gonna run with low boost?

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, some of these wire tucked DSMs look pretty cool.
Most Eclipses in Europe have 420a too, N/A 4g63 is not really common here either. I don't wanna go above 16 psi, I have ordered mostly stock gst parts, so nothing crazy :)

Oh and one more question, is the Gs-t ECU a must for the build? I have a buddy who can rewrite my gs computer with a gst program, still won't work?

You should get the part number off of the ecu and see if it is the same as the 4G63 Turbo. If so, you can reprogram it with programs like ECUFlash, or ECMLink (with the programmable chip option added). Or, buy an existing 4G63 Turbo ecu.

It may be the same part number as the 4G64, in which case the wire harness was missing the input wire for the engine knock sensor. The 4G64 black box ecu would need to be upgraded to a 4G63 Turbo model to be programable with ECUFlash, or ECMLink.

I took out the ecu, it has 4 inputs, 2 longer and to shorter, and it writes MD334797 and E2T61685, hard to find out but it seems like it is identical to the spyder ecu. Does this mean it misses the knock sensor input ?

Thanks for the help, I got a bit worried,when I couldn't find anywhere what ecu came with my car :) I'll send them an e-mail, I see EU spec 4g63s are not really known.

If you have a Spyder ecu, yes it can be flashed to the turbo Spyder software and yes you can install a knock sensor, the 2g uses a passive knock sensor circuit unlike the 1g, you simply have to provide the one wire from the ecu input to the knock sensor itself.

I just found out the stock Eclipse Gsi ecu won't make it, I think I'll make a journal of this build, it is really hard to find sources, so I'll make one :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back