The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Grinding sound when decelerating in gear...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXlaunch

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 3, 2003
TexasUS
I am still in the beginning stages of breaking in my new act 2600 and Fidanza flywheel. Tonight, I took it on the highway for the first time. Everything was going perfect until I let off the gas while still engaged in 5th gear. I heard this rubbing/grinding sound coming from the drive train (I think). It sounded like it was coming from the transfer case or further back but I cannot be sure. If I decelerated while in nuetral it was fine. Otherwise, the tranny engaged each gear nicely without any problems. This sound was only evident when slowing down in gear or when down shifting to come to a stop. It sounds like something is loose. What would cause it to make this sound only when letting of the gas while still in gear?? Transfercase had the recall done and I am running BG Sync II in both tranny and t-case. The only other things I should mention are that the clutch starts engaging about 1/2" off the floor. Also, when reinstalling the t-case some of the fluid seeped out...I did not think it was enough to cause any problems. Anyone have any ideas? The last thing I need is for something to snap while I am going down the track at over 100mph. Thanks in advance for any help.

After looking over everything the only obvious thing I noticed was this:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is the bracket that holds the driver's side axle...there is suppose to be a spacer there...I doubt this is causing my problem though. I drained the fluid from the transfer case and it was dark gray in color and I could see tiny metal flakes...only a little over a 1/4 quart drained out. This is surprising since the fluid that seeped out thru the back of the transfer case when I was installing it was clear and looked like clean fresh fluid. Obviously more leaked out than I thought. Could this be causing the sound? You guys have any ideas???? Thanks

both my dsms make these same noises .. the talon in all gears ( fwd ) and the gsx only in 4th and 5th. I think it's transmisison related rather than t case or axle.

Crap that hurts...I was already looking for a t-case on ebay. Weird thing is that it never made this sound before the clutch job. Seriously, the car ran great last night. It was very smooth (even though the balance shafts are out), all the upshifts were perfect; no weird sounds, vibrations or smells. Again, this only occured when cruising in gear and letting off the accelerator. If I put in nuetral and used only brakes to slow down it was fine. I think I will change the fluid in the tranny as well as the t-case. Just curious, if the rubber insulation around the driveshaft is worn would it cause this sound on deceleration? Thanks btw.

Your right. Their is a spacer that goes there. I guess I lost it...the t-case holds about .8 qrt. I just spent 60 bucks on freaking fluid. (2) qrts BG Sync for the tranny. (1) qrt Redline MT-90 75w-90 synthetic for the t-case, and (2) qrts Mobil 1 Synthetic for the differential.

if its the same sound I have then your bearings inside the trans are just worn and your shafts have too much play in them so they make that noise.

transfer case holds like .4 or .5 qts man not .8

I have already taken it in for the recall (2k miles ago)...I have already informed them of the condition of the fluid...I pushed for a replacement but they wouldnt budge. All they did was replace the rear seal and yoke. The odd thing is that it wasnt doing this before the clutch job...to be honest, the last drive I took, it took it about 5 miles before it started making this noise. Again, I will try the fluid changes. If that doesnt work I'll take it to another dealership. If xcelr8n is right about the t-case only holding .4 or .5 qrt then about 80-90% of the fluid had leaked out when I was reinstalling it. Thanks

So I changed the fluid in the tranny, t-case and rear end. I drove it and heard no noise whatsoever when decelerating or at any point really. Does it make sense that the noise would only be noitced after a certain amount of driving? If the t-case was on the way out or the tranny was bad wouldnt I hear something at all times?? :confused:

Drove it again tonight. This time for about 20-25 miles. The sound is still there. It is, with out a doubt, coming from something underneath the rear seat area. It only does this in 4th and is worse in 5th...and only when decelerating while in gear. I am thinking drive shaft but dont know. I really dont think its the rear end. The fluid that was in there was flawless. I noticed that the drive shaft has 1/2" - 3/4"(up & down) play and about 1/4" - 1/2" front to back movement and can also be rotated 1/4 turn in either direction by hand. This is most likely normal but thought I'd mention it. Again, I just changed the clutch and pulled the engine to do the balance shaft elimination. I had the drive shaft supported with a hanger. However, it was in that position for about 3 months. Otherwise, the car drives and shifts great. No sounds, or vibrations other than when decelerating. Hopefully, someone has gone thru this same thing before and can give me some pointers. Maybe this is normal noise for awd's :confused: I dont have the rear seats, or any panels inside the car so perhaps the sound(s) are more easily mistaken for "issues". OMG

i used to have a sound like that when decelerating, during which i was having troubles with my tranny (grinding into second, clicking noise driving up until 3rd).. once back and installed, i had no noises at all. I suspect that noise from worn intermediate shafts, with way too much free play. I, too, had my driveshaft suspended for a while before i got the tranny back in. No problems so far, with shifting or noises.. sorry that this points to the tranny, but in my case the tranny was the root of all my problems.

when i let off in 4th or 5th gear suddenly, I get a thumb/vibration...
my carrier bearings are SHOT...
try the 5 dollar fix on the vfaq, cant hurt anything, and may fix a problem for next to nothin...

Thanks for the response. I might be making a mistake but at this point I am going to rule out it being a tranny issue. I can positively hear the sound coming from the rear drive shaft/differential area. If I had to guess, I'd say it was coming from this point in the driveshaft. I am not sure what this unit is but this is pretty much where the sound is coming from. Can someone tell me what this is?? Thanks again...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i have a '90 TSi AWD (60k on it) and it makes the same noise in 4th and 5th when i let off the throttle and i can hear it a lil when at partial throttle. but my tranny just took a dump last night it won't go into 2nd or reverse. i had a '91 TSi AWD (160k on it) but this didn't make the noise it would just make a loud thud when i backed off the throttle and the whole car would jerk but i am just going to buy a JDM motor and tranny and swap it into my '90. and i don't know if this is true but i heard that the '90 turbo DSMs had the worst trannies out of any years it changed in '91 and changed again in '93 and of course again for the 2g's but don't qoute me on this

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? Mines has a scraping sound when i let off the throttle in 3rd gear. Cant pinpoint it tho. It sounds like its coming from the front tho

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back