The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Grinding on hard acceleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xGrafitti

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 27, 2012
Vance, Alabama
No the grinding isn't when I shift it's actually in the gears itself.. Any suggestions to what exactly it is? Check the video! I mainly just want to know if the transmission is fixable before I go and get a new one put in.

Car grinding - dsmtuners.com - YouTube

The grinding is coming right from where the transmission is.

I'm agree with AK Maniak, Clutch shouldn't grind.

I am experimenting the same thing, But my car bounces up and down on the passenger side, I do know from fact that my passenger Strut is shot, so I think the bouncing is because of that, However, I just don't see any relation from the strut to the grinding.

I'm agree with AK Maniak, Clutch shouldn't grind.

I am experimenting the same thing, But my car bounces up and down on the passenger side, I do know from fact that my passenger Strut is shot, so I think the bouncing is because of that, However, I just don't see any relation from the strut to the grinding.
Please be sure to let me know what it comes down to if you figure it out.

I had similar sound on my 2g and after inspecting axles, shocks, balljoints, and all, it ended up being tranny mount and rear mount.
Video doesnt provide good sound, but according to your description, it sounds like the problem I had.
After I swapped to Prothane insterts, noise was gone.

I had similar sound on my 2g and after inspecting axles, shocks, balljoints, and all, it ended up being tranny mount and rear mount.
Video doesnt provide good sound, but according to your description, it sounds like the problem I had.
After I swapped to Prothane insterts, noise was gone.
Really? I can hear it fine. But I'll definitely look into that.

If you thinks its grinding change the fluid, if theres a grind most likely there will be shavings, same with t case. Also were you driving it for a while then all of a sudden it started happening or?
Sadly it wasn't the mounts. Anymore suggestions guys? Also it started this a few weeks after replacing the clutch. New fluids were added.

well if it started when you chaged the clutch I would assume its something with clutch or trans. and i would check the fluids to make sure there no shavings in fluid.

If it were my clutch I wouldn't be able to drive it.

Actually you can just fine. You can hear it most is 1st.

If it were your clutch installation, it could be caused by that. Are you sure you did everything correctly? Made sure everything is flush? I know a guy whos transmission bolts broke and his tranny was hanging halfway on. Or it could even be your tob thatis giving out. You did put a new one in when you did your clutch job, right?

If it were your clutch installation, it could be caused by that. Are you sure you did everything correctly? Made sure everything is flush? I know a guy whos transmission bolts broke and his tranny was hanging halfway on. Or it could even be your tob thatis giving out. You did put a new one in when you did your clutch job, right?
Everything was done correctly, yes.

Were able to figure out what the problem was? Im hearing the same noise and I also just did my clutch and flywheel

No I've just replaced wheel bearings . It sounds like coming from Rf end possibly crossmember bushings or motor mounts?

Ok one thing i havnt seen mentioned here is about the 5th backwards bolt on the transmission...a lot of people overlook this bolt on the opposite side of the transmission when replacing...and will cause these issues!basically the one bolt holds the hole other side of the transmission on.(if you dont have this on the tranny is only held on one side. There should be 4 bolts on passenger side then the other bolt opposite side on backside of motor..i will see if i could find a picture to post quick[DOUBLEPOST=1410227615][/DOUBLEPOST]look at this post here there is a diagram with the bolt pattern. Bolt "Q" is the backwards bolt and is thinner than the other 4 bolts. It is located next to the axel Important you have this bolt on or trans will take a beating and not work right...hope this helps brohttp://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/cone-shaped-transmission-bolt-stripped.446812/

Last edited:
Very interesting, I was going to say axles or turbo myself, thanks for sharing that link ^^^

Meech

Well I haven't had time to look underneath the car. But how can that one bolt cause a grinding noise? Also I was thinking of cross member bushings they sis look worn. The ones under front tranny mount

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back