The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

greengoblin's AWD Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thank you for your time in creating this journal, i've learned so much in so little time from this that it's unreal. I cannot thank you enough, I wish you well on your build and much success in your future.

Go work on ## car! I wana see this thing done! Your build has given me so many ideas and help! Keep it up bro!

Go work on ## car! I wana see this thing done! Your build has given me so many ideas and help! Keep it up bro!

I wish. I have been building braces for people non stop for the last few weeks. I'm pulling the xmember and shipping it out so Paul can model a tube version of it and I leave for Hawaii at the end of next week. It will be next month before much can happen. I did do some glass work the other day. :)

I can mic them for you tomorrow. They vary quit a bit however depending on which panel you are talking about. Any place in particular you want to know about?

Kevin

Hi
General, if there is a lot of difference among them you could do a few in different places and panels and let me know.

Thanks

And man keep up your nice build.

Last edited:
I love all the "small" stuff that you hand fabricate..

I+m also wondering where to get such an oilpan you have.

will it fit my EVO 2 with 4G63 ?

I love you Mr. Goblin.

ROFL

More pictures soon please?

And is it bad I laughed really hard at what stock size wheels look like with that kit?
Ahahahah so much win.

05/02/12-05/04/12

OMG I'm actually working on my car again. Slow like always but it's work none the less.

Building mounting tabs for the dzus clips. Not done yet . Still need to add glass in a few places. Then lots of trimming and shaping.

E84E1D95-orig.jpg

8FDB92CE-orig.jpg

This area was slightly lower from one side to the other. Decided to fix that.

1B40FCCE-orig.jpg

Well did a little bit more work today while my sone was napping. I have to to say:

Angle grinder + son napping in bedroom over garage = super short nap. :)

Still managed chop off some unwanted metal . It just the first rough cut but it looks pretty good overal. Just a little more trimming here and there left.

Also rough end the new mounts for my dzus fastners a little more. Hope to have mounts done by the end of the weekend. Maybe.

BEFORE

DOWN003.jpg

AFTER

rearendchop002.jpg

rearendchop004.jpg

5/6/12 to 5/11/12

The over fender and side skirt mounts are done!

rearendchop008.jpg

I'm not a big fan of how the rear center section looks so I'm going to do something a bit different.

The reverse light holes will go away. This is going to happen for sure. I put on some painter tape so I could get an idea and it certainly will be an improvement . The center section where the plate goes will change a bit too I think.

rearendchop005.jpg

After talking with Drew about wings and location and it has been decided the wing will be located over the deck lid area because that was how the kit was setup to work together. I could mount the wing further back but that would require a lot of work from Drew to find where it needs to be and may conflict with rule sets. Boo but at least I can now move forward. Well kinda of that is.

On Wing selection Drew recommended if I can to try and wait for the APR wing that he designed to come out. It's currently under testing on the autobahn in Germany. So since I have other things to do I'll just wait and see. It's pretty bad ass design

1202.png

If you want to read more about it look here: http://www.amb-aero.com/files/APR004_public.pdf

If that wing doesn't make it to market in time then I'll be using a wing like John has which is quite nice too.

DHP Composites unit: That can be found here:

Wings

So for now the rear center section will wait and it's time to address the front diffuser/splitter and the gas filler door.

I placed orders today from aircraft spruce and US composites and now foam core, e-glass and epoxy resins are on the way. Next week should be fun!

Started working on my fuel door today. Big thanks to John for his advice, help and IDEA!

Just started roughing it in.

4CBF8F54-orig.jpg

FCC88C3B-orig.jpg

B005C839-orig.jpg

He look it's a gas filler door and it can be opened. Not totally finished, but done for now. it's amazing how long little stuff like this takes.

8588E06B-orig.jpg

Worked on a few small thing. Made the rear over fender add on things fit better and did a bit of reshaping on it. Also reshaped the air directors (for lack of knowing better name) that go in between the front fenders and side skirts. Still need to do a bit more as you can see from the lines in the pic but getting closer.

05-15-2012

Now I need to figure out how do I want to attach them. I'd like them to be be easy to detach so the front fender can still come off very quickly.

HHHMMM think, think, think.

:challenge

Kevin

DC256668-orig.jpg

875FC606-orig.jpg

Work has now started on the front diffuser. This is going to be pretty fun to make.

A strip of light weight aluminum angle running along the rear edge. That will allow me to have a good area to have mounting area and it also adds rigidity.

Dinvinycell foam will be my core material. It will be bonded to the existing fiberglass skin using epoxy resin mixed with micro balloons and cotton flock. Then a wet lay up will be done over the top using epoxy resin, micro balloons and 7781 e-glass. This will make a sufficient splitter setup. It should be light, stong and rigid.

I did A BUNCH OF READING to come up with this list. .:hellyeah:

Links to the supply's posted below. That is all for now.

PVC Foam from Aircraft Spruce

FLOCKED COTTON FIBER from Aircraft Spruce

3M GLASS BUBBLES from Aircraft Spruce

Fiberglass Cloth

Epoxy : Epoxy Resins and Hardeners

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my favorite build Journal. I love all the work you've done improving everything.

Did some work on the front bumper mounts over the last few days. I still have work to do but here is what I came up with for my mounting solution. I really wanted to avoid using the big latches.

photobucket-28075-1338234934894.jpg

There will be a tube (red arrow) running up to the inner fender area. Maybe two it's needed.

Frontclippaint.jpg

photobucket-24510-1338234918346.jpg

Last edited:
NICE BUILD DUDE KEEP IT UP . how much did your pay for your coil overs?? :dsm:

I would need to dig through. Off the top of my head I could not tell you. They are K&W from Robi spec.

This is my favorite build Journal. I love all the work you've done improving everything.

Thanks!

6-01 to 6-03-12

Fender out edge of front clip mount almost complete. I need to add a second tube to stiffen it up a bit. Very happy with how it's working out some far.

Also my EPSP came in today. Very surprised how fast it made it here from Great Britain.

photobucket-16199-1338583316222.jpg

photobucket-24648-1338587145769.jpg

Doing a bit of mock and also finished up the side mounts for the front clip and fenders.

photobucket-28942-1338763987092.jpg

Last edited:
Hands down best build thread.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back