The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

greengoblin's AWD Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey man i made a custom front strut bar that went from both towers then to the fire wall. i chose to do this since i have not seen any other one out there. when i get back home after thanksgiving break ill snap a pic and post it on here to show you. may give you some ideas

Wow, this is a Road race build done right! I've always wanted to see what a 2G would handle like with solid bushings and spherical links, I bet it's going to be amazing.

11/14/2011 to 12/14/2011

I've been doing a little work here and there and feel I now can do a small update.

So I have a tendency see to be a bit obsessive about things. On the rear over fenders I noticed when I clamped down on the flat vent pieces with the clecos they had to flex and twist quite a bit to fit. This really bugged me so I did some work to bring the mounting surface closer to true. Now the distance and angles of the mounting flanges match and the twist and spaces are gone. Sorry no before pictures but you can see where I added the glass.

rearfendermounts002.jpg

rearfendermounts001.jpg

rearfendermounts003.jpg

rearfendermounts004.jpg

Next I need to extend the mounting tabs on the side skirt and over fender so I could use a dzus fastener instead of pop rivets or sheet metal screws.
Here is a picture of what they look like originally. They are just too short.
rearfendermounts009.jpg

When you do fiber glass work when you can, it's best to cut back into the work and the further the better. So off comes all the gel coat and you rough it up really good. I use 26 grit paper to do this. Then you lay on all you new glass and sand and shape it like you want. This was all done over several days.

rearfendermounts007.jpg

rearfendermounts008.jpg

This what I accomplished today.

Then you welded a dzus spring mounting tab in place.

rearfendermounts006.jpg

Then the side skirt get installed and a the mounting hole marked. Take it back off and drill the hole. After the hole is drilled reinstall to make sure the hole lines up. Next, on goes the over fender and marking of it. Take both off and set them up. Clamped together. Then drill the hole in the over fender tab.

rearfendermounts011.jpg

rearfendermounts010.jpg

Put it all back together on the car again and hope it all lines up. If it does it will look like this. (below)

rearfendermounts012.jpg

What you see above is pretty close to what they will look like. I will do a bit more trimming and shaping. However my son woke up form his nap . So daddy's play time is over for today.

Hope you guys enjoy the update,

Kevin

Oh, and just for fun what an evo rotor looks like behind a 2g swirly. I just put it on to get it off the floor. Big thanks to Josh for hooking me up with an old rotor so I can measure a few things later down the road.

rearfendermounts013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That for the update Calan. :p

I have been working on the jig for the fender braces I'm making. The jig construction took WAY longer than I thought . It was my first time too build one so I was learning as I went. That means I had to search, read and think a lot. The thinking really hurt pretty bad. It is now complete and I "should be work ling on the car again after I build a few braces for some peeps.

On the short list will be fitting and building a rear center section for the rear bumper. Front splitter construction. Radiator core support removal and build of a tube one with mounts for splitter, tow hook , radiator and intercooler. That what I want to do anyway. Should be fun.

But first comes the fender braces I have promised a few people.

Kevin

Woo hoo for the fender braces coming :hellyeah:

Definitely interested in the tube front end, Kevin. Do you plan to try an angle mount for the rad/FMIC, or still keeping it vertical?

I'm going to play with it. I'm sure there will be some angle to them. How much and all that need to be worked out. There just not much room there and the turbo setup has be taken into account. Hope to see soonish. For me that could mean awhile.

It's hard to pass up the snow that is staring at me from our local slopes through the garage windows on the weekends. That and the Big Island of Hawaii in March. :)

It a FXMD and AMB Aero collaborative. It was a limited production run. You can see if they will make you the a full kit. Be ready to pony up a bit of money as it is not a cheap kit. It is a fully functional aero package.

you can find their contact info here:

FX Motorsports Development | Facebook

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back