The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Got bored and ported a cyclone intake manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kicknurass4fun

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2005
Fox Lake, Illinois
So things have been a little slow at work these past few weeks. I was sitting around and I saw my cyclone intake sitting around and some porting bits. So i figure I might as well do somthing instead of just sit around. So I cleaned the thing up and gave it a little port job. Now I know some of you are going to say I was just wasting my time but I had nothing better to do. I opened up all the runners and the butterfly valves a decent amount and also matched the runners because almost every runner had a huge step in it where the runners bolt together. I never got a chance to flow bench test it because our flow bench at work has been broke for a while now. So i cant give a before and after number, but I figured I would just share some pics and if any vendors would be interested i would ship it out to have it dynoed so we could possibly see a comparison to a stock or extrude honed 1g manifold.

Before 3 pics

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

After cleaning 4pics

Ported 4pics

Ported 5 pics

nice port job. what kind of bits were you using to get that smooth a finish in all the rounded arEAS?

Well i removed the major casting flaws with a alumi hog cutting bit then lightly opened everything up with a smaller cutter bit. To get the finish i sanded everything with a 220 grit sanding roll then finalized it with a 320 grit.

I noticed that you managed to port the entire runner. When I ported my intake manifold, the tool would only go in so far until the angle of the runner would prevent movement.

What kind of tool are you using to port?

hey guys i almost bought a 1g intake manifold, but before i did i second guessed myself and thought if it was gona fit. now im asking will the 1g and the cyclone work? and i guess you guys would recomend a cylone? :talon:

Get that other motor running bro, I wanna see that hella port job in action:thumb:

Ginglingston11 said:
hey guys i almost bought a 1g intake manifold, but before i did i second guessed myself and thought if it was gona fit. now im asking will the 1g and the cyclone work? and i guess you guys would recomend a cylone? :talon:

Is your head the stock 2g head? if so its not a good idea to run a 1g mani as the ports are much larger then the ones in your 2g head & the air will be hitting a flat wall when trying to enter the head.

90blacktsiawd said:
Jabinya your using a 1g intake right? If so that's why you couldn't reach. The cyclone comes apart in the middle.
I still have the original 7 bolt motor, but I do plan on switching to the 6 bolt next summer. I've read good things about the cyclone intake and want to get a 6 bolt with that intake.

It looks as if the angle of the cyclone intake are less extreme, maybe my dremel will manage to get down in there.

jabinya said:
I still have the original 7 bolt motor, but I do plan on switching to the 6 bolt next summer. I've read good things about the cyclone intake and want to get a 6 bolt with that intake.

It looks as if the angle of the cyclone intake are less extreme, maybe my dremel will manage to get down in there.

Well the stock 2g manifold would be no different in terms of being able to reach a dremel in there. The angles may be less extreme but i think it's more the fact that you can unbolt it in the middle and be able to go at it from 3 opening's including spilt right in the middle of the runners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back