good or bad to buy a car with rebuilt engine?

Posted by lucas isherwood, Jun 12, 2003
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. lucas isherwood

lucas isherwood Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    , New_YorkUS
    im wondering if its good of bad to buy a car with a rebuilt engine. dsms are old. i like the 1gs the best. all of them have crazy miles. im looking to get a dsm with a good dependable motor. i currently have a fwd dsm. im looking to get a awd dsm. is getting a car with a rebuilt engine the way to go? or are rebuilt engines screwed up?
  2. nametakennow

nametakennow Proven Member

Fayetteville, Georgia
    As long as it was done by someone who knew what they were doing, it should be fine. For older motors you probably would want a rebuilt one, but I'm not totally sure on that.
  3. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    glorious Galt, California
    Mileage potential on modern cars is astounding. If you find a trustworthy rebuilt, terrific, but if you go for a high-mileage, lightly-abused original, you may come out ahead in doing (or having done) your own rebuild if you have a spare driver while the job's getting done. At least you'd _know_ what was done, and how.
    Unfortunately, like so much car stuff, there's just no telling about used things until you've used it for a while yourself.