The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

good choice for racing seats.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D's GS-T

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 24, 2007
LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Hey guys, im trying to decide on what kind of racing seats to run for lapping days. i've been searching the forums, but all i can find are mainly threads in the appearance section. Im sure i wont make a final decision until i can sit in some, but what kind of seats are people running. Dont seats have to be like FIA approved or something like that. Im looking for something that wont break the bank, but is a good seat. I dont mind spending money, but im not rich either :p. I was thinking about maybe just picking up some evo seats if i can find a used cheap set, but i dont know if they would be worth it, and obviously the real racing seats would be better. Either way i figured id see what people are running, and get some ideas so i dont end up in the instrustors lap when i take a corner LOL

I think Corbeau is offers pretty good band for the buck. I was all set to purchase a new Corbeau FX1 Pro when I found a sweet deal on a pair of used Sparco EVO 2 w/ brackets & sliders. So that's what I currently have in the car.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Click to enlarge

How tall are you? I have Corbeau FX Pros on my 2G without sliders or a sunroof. I only have a 2" clearance between the top of my head and the headliner.

I'm 6'3" and can barely reach the steering wheel with a helmet on.
I've still got stock seats in my 1G and would love to change them out mainly to get a better seating position. Other concerns include weight, ability to use proper harnesses and sliders would sure be nice.

In my case, I'm around 5'10". I have my Sparco EVO 2's on the lowest setting, and with the Sparco brackets & sliders it's just a fraction of an inch lower than the OEM seat was.

With the manual OEM seat (set to lowest height) and my helmet on, I had to recline my seat back slightly to fit and even then my helmet would rub the headliner (no sunroof). Now with my fixed back Sparco, I don't touch the headliner unless I stretch my neck.

Unless you have multiple drivers, you dont need sliders. I mounted mine directly to the floor with a Sparco Start, Momo Supercup, and Pro2000s. There is tremendous amount of headroom if you mount it directly to the floor mount. (2g with sunroof, im 6'2 with fixed back seat.)

I have recaros. I couldnt ask for a better seat. Although they are pretty heavy compared to some of the other seats I have seen. I am 6'1 and my head does not rub on the headliner...I still have about 4 inches.

Draw back is they are Ridiculously expensive.

A slightly on topic question, When is it Ideal to install better seats? I notice the upgrade path talks about the car's handling, but not the driver much. They suggest it, but don't really have a clear answer as to WHEN would be a good time.

A slightly on topic question, When is it Ideal to install better seats? I notice the upgrade path talks about the car's handling, but not the driver much. They suggest it, but don't really have a clear answer as to WHEN would be a good time.

That I am unsure of,but I went ahead and upgraded my seats asap. I didnt like getting thrown around in the stock seats. My recaro's hold me into place just right.

The reasons I upgraded my seat was...

1) Side bolstering. While I didn't really need it for autox as my harness held me firmly in place, on the road course I was flopping around with my OEM seat belt as I didn't want to use my harness w/o roll over protection (think spinal compression). So a race seat held me in place quite well with just the OEM belt.

2) Weight Reduction. Although, using the brackets & sliders didn't really save me much over the OEM manual seats. I think it was only a few pounds less per seat. A diet would reduce more weight. LOL

3) Aesthetics: It doesn't look like a race car until you have races seats. ;)

I have some sparco evo 3s and they are really too high, im in a 1g talon, and im 6'3" and have a cage and my helmet is just too close. I made my own brackets/adjustable sliders (requires re-bolting) However, the base of the seat is about 2" off the floor , im thinking about making a new bracket just for the drivers seat to lower the seat about 1/4" off the floor. The brackets I made look really good and work/fit awesome, I spent a lot of time on them, but that dosen't mean anything. If something dosen't work, it dosen't work, plain and simple.

It comes down to when you feel is the right time is. I think it should come somewhere along the lines of after the suspension and brakes are upgraded. But even that is personal opinion.

To the OP, picking the race seat comes down to satisfying your own needs and picking a seat from the criteria. For me I want a car that is a street car so I wanted to be held but I didn't want it to be difficult to get in and out of. I picked the Sparco Evo.
To start your search for which seat is right for you answer: street car, track car, street car you want to take to the track 4 times a summer? Then determine how fat you are, because they make larger seats for people that are bigger, sort of like buying shoes that are the right size.

If height is a problem try an aluminum seat like a Kirky with a custom mount. I'm 6'2" and with mine I have plenty of room to the roof.

Unless you have multiple drivers, you dont need sliders. I mounted mine directly to the floor with a Sparco Start, Momo Supercup, and Pro2000s. There is tremendous amount of headroom if you mount it directly to the floor mount. (2g with sunroof, im 6'2 with fixed back seat.)

Yep. Best way to fit for tall people with a helmet. I'm using a wedge engineering bracket bolted directly to my older Sparco Sprint 5 and a new Torino 2 for the passenger. Only problem I get is sometimes on sudden elevation drops (freeway stuff) my butt will actually touch floor because there isn't much support on the bottom of it. Who needs a tailbone?? ROFL. Other then that, it's a great cheap seat. Provisions for 5 point harnesses and plenty of side bolster to keep you still.

Edit: I will say though, that it is a bit difficult getting into with the stock steering wheel if you don't know how to.

Def Fx1's. I got my set for $600 shipped directly from Corbeau. This is my 4th set of racing seats and def the best.

I just went through the whole decision process on seats myself. Here is basically the questions you want to ask yourself -

Question 1: Do you DD your car? If you do, a fixed back racing seat and harness setup may not be ideal. It's a pain in the ass to get in/out of, and limits your ability to look over your shoulder/behind you. So if you DD your car, I'd go with something like Evo seats and stock belts. You can get a seat belt lock to help hold you in better.

Question 2: Do you have a roll cage/bar? If you don't, running a harness is not recommended. If you roll and your roof collapses, your body is not going to be able to move out of the way in a 4/5/6 point harness like it would with a stock 3 point. The roof will collapse on your head and cause you a serious head/neck/spine injury or death. Many clubs won't even let you run a harness at an autoX, much less a track day, unless you have a roll bar or cage.

Question 3: Are you looking into getting into any sorts of sanctioned motorsports? If yes, check their requirements for seats. If they require FIA approved seats, then you need to look at those.

Question 4: Mounting. Most sanctioning bodies require the seats to be solidly side mounted these days. You really want to do it anyway, sliders tend to not give you that solid feel.

As far as seat recommendations - you can't go wrong with Sparco. I have a Sparco PRO ADV in the rally car and I love it. It is the most comfortable and supportive seat I've ever sat in, yet still gives you plenty of room to breathe and maneuver.

Sparco Pro 2000 is my favourite if you don't want head protection.

I like Cobra seats too. They have Kevlar shells, which are a lot stronger than fiberglass.

I've had a Sparco Sprint before. It was reasonably comfortable and supportive. Good value for the money, and a great entry level seat.

Corbeau is nice on a budget, but really does not compare to the more expensive seats.
FYI - Corbeau lost their FIA cert... which is why I have a pair of like-new FX1's in the basement and old Sparco's in the rally car now :( So if you plan to use them for competition, where there is a significant chance of wrecking, you'll always have that in the back of your mind :-\

Def Fx1's. I got my set for $600 shipped directly from Corbeau. This is my 4th set of racing seats and def the best.

Those are one of the best bucket seats I had gotten also. I can see slippi wanna look like me, but could you hang with me? :hmm:

Those are one of the best bucket seats I had gotten also. I can see slippi wanna look like me, but could you hang with me? :hmm:

This is my second set of Corbeau seats though LOL. Check the build thread I have pics of the first ones(clubman) in there too. They are nice as well but were a little heavier than I would like and didn't fit with my roll cage AT ALL.

As for hanging with ya put in a cage already and we'll find out at the shootout:rocks:

How would you retain the stock 3 point? I thought the 2g female side of the seat belt was bolted to the stock seat? Maybe I'm just missing something here.

you are talking about the buckle? I seen some bucket sets where you could adapt or fab the buckle to the bracket.

Last edited:
Never seen one of those setups, but it makes sense. Would just be concerned with the integrity of the mouting in an impact.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back