good buy for first car? 1990 eagle talon tsi awd

Posted by tstkl, Feb 14, 2005
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. tstkl

tstkl Proven Member

east bay, California
    Ad:
    Eagle Talon TSI Turbo - $2200

1990 Eagle Talon TSI, Turbo; black; 5-speed manual transmission; all wheel drive, body style: hatchback 2 dr.; engine type: 2.0L L4 MPI DOHC TRBO; 4-cylinder; low mileage of 91,xxx miles; cruise control; power windows; tires, spare tire, and interior in good condition; accessories: CD player and AM/FM radio, alarm, automatic seat belts; dent near left front wheel (see photo); air conditioning needs repair; smog checked: 9/03.
    Am selling because I am moving away. Serious buyers only pls.

(three pictures, the hood is a little oxydized but the rims and paint on the rest of the body looks good. cant tell if thats a dent on the drivers side fender or not, but it looks like its just how the fenders are made and the angle of the photo. o nvm just reread add, says theres a dent there.)

would this be a good buy for a newb to this platform? does this car need a 60k or anything else? I know a little about 3000gts and stealths so if there are similarities i can deal with that kinda stuff, although ive never owned one, ive been in the engine bay of a few and looked around for a long while. (this would be my first car and im 16 1/2) :talon:

2. anomalyinva

anomalyinva Proven Member

, VirginiaUS
    Id honestly say something is probably wrong with the car, have it fully checked out by a mechanic. It would at least need the timing belt/water pump stuff done.

3. black92_tsi_awd

black92_tsi_awd Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Yates City, Illinois
    Definitely have it checked out by a mechanic! Especially if this is your first car, and be prepared to do maintenance on it. Have the transfer case checked for leaks since it's an AWD and see if it had the recall done on it, see here:http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147354

4. BlackbirdOfPrey

BlackbirdOfPrey Proven Member

Shiloh, IllinoisUS
    Try to talk him down if you can, if your paint is starting to oxidize, it wont take long before it spreads and looks like crap. Paintjobs aren't cheap. If it runs, but doesn't look the best, try to negotiate a deal. And as others have already said, have a TRUSTWORTHY mechanic check it out.

5. civickiller

civickiller Proven Member

Salem, Oregon
    When i first got my talon i had to change all of the belts, water pump and tentioner. Not much space to work with, took me a long time. Dealer will charge $800 for work.

6. tstkl

tstkl Proven Member

east bay, California
    thanks for the advice, my mom went to test drive it today, and she is having the person drop it off without carfax or mechanic check. (shes crazy, and desided this without my concent.) im going to do the carfax on it and probably try and get a mechanic to check it out. the owner was a german woman who was the second owner, and the first was a male co worker of hers. she says she replaced the timing belt, and the rear axle, and in the past 3 years has put about 10k miles on it. my mom said the defroster works, so i cant think of what would be wrong with the ac. the dent on the front left fender prevents the door from staying open, but you can hold it open. my mom who hasnt driven a manual in a good 3+years said she had little problems with it after she got used to it, but that it was much different than other manual transmissions she had used. (~1984 vw schirroco, 1986 toyota 4runner.) i also remember reading somewhere that these cars had either abs or a limited slip differential, altho since its an awd i thought it would have to have a limited slip,...but i dont know, and i dont know which it has. i believe that is it....

edit: too late for nagociating, and also it has a little less than 91k, 90800 i believe...

7. 2g_spyderturbo

2g_spyderturbo Proven Member

chicago, Illinois
    How does it have cruise control if its a 5-speed???????

8. tsitalon92

tsitalon92 Proven Member

Amherst, Ohio
    LOL! Are you kidding me?

9. MyRidzPhucked

MyRidzPhucked Proven Member

, QuebecCanada
    Lol just call him a poor guy with an automatic tranny and leave it alone. J/k

Yes, 5 speed cars have cruise control, you must figure out how cruise control works first to understand the concept...

AC- Checked the level of the frion?
    Dent- Had this on my Lebaron and it was horrible. Replace IMMEDIATLY. MANY places to look for fenders, I live in Canada and DSM's are more rare and i could still find many (none without rust, of course, but thats what bodywork is for, espcially if you have to paint it anyways)
    The fact the timing belt was done within only a few thosand miles is a good start, drive axle even better. Less things you'll have to replace, cause you're in for one hell of a journey called the DSM fever ;) *ching ching*

Sounds like a decent buy if it was from someone that didnt beat it. Dont skip out on a good thorough inspection, and if there arent really any major things to do on the car, replace all the small things you can, so you can start modding off on the right foot. :thumb:

10. Littlebeeper

Littlebeeper Proven Member

Kingsville, Texas
    QUOTE]How does it have cruise control if its a 5-speed???????[/QUOTE]
    Like Tsitalon said...he must be kidding....either that or i got extremely luck on a custom cruise control on my 5.0 5-speed 'Stang and on my Turbo Laser :p ;)

11. tstkl

tstkl Proven Member

east bay, California
    anyone know about the abs/limited slip differential?

12. 2g_spyderturbo

2g_spyderturbo Proven Member

chicago, Illinois
    For the cruise control thing i didnt know that they came with it cus 5 of my buddies have 5-speed and none of them have that so i just assumed that they didnt come with it. So sorry for sounding spuied but i just didnt know.

13. ericbev

ericbev Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Coal City, Illinois
    I have got to say that having a turbo/AWD as your first car is quite an endeavor. But as an enthusiast, I will say, welcome to our community! These cars are notorious for being money pits as many of us well know, so be prepared! But even as they steal all of our hard earned money, we somehow come to love them even more. They have massive potential and will treat you just as good if you show them the same care. I really hope everything is in check and that it leaves you with a good first impression.

As for the ABS/LSD...ABS wasnt available till 91 so I would doubt that your car has it...Although if for some strange reason it does.. an ABS module is huge and not easy to miss...As for the LSD.. most LSD cars have a orange *warning* sticker on the inside of the door..mine was removed for some reason.. but it should be there...If that fails you..Look at the back of your differential.. mine says Viscous LSD right on the back..although im not sure if the 1Gs are labeled the same as mine is..

Once again, good luck with your car! ... Oh yeah and my 5spd has cruise control too :thumb:

14. FireyIce01

FireyIce01 Proven Member

Carmichael, California
    Sounds like a decent deal if it's in good running condition... a lot of people will tell you these are money pits... and you gotta remember the car's like 15 years old.... but if you perform all the maintainence, and don't really abuse it, it will treat you right.... if you drive it hard, things are just going to break, that's going to be with any car you get though

15. mysticfire6602

mysticfire6602 Proven Member

Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
    huh? are you joking? my eclipse is a 5 speed and i have cruise control, whats the big deal?

16. jdm4g63

jdm4g63 Proven Member

cincinnati, Ohio
    The man appologized about the cruise control on a 5 speed comment.

Anyways, these guys have given you the right idea about what to do. Just have it checked out. I don't know about where you live but we have Performance Mitsu and they bend over backwards for you so they are good people to have check it out. You are quite lucky to have an awd turbocharged car for your first car. I suffered through honda life for years until I became a convert.

You will probably find that the clutch and tranny will act up after a while on a 1g like mine and so many others. View this as an opportunity to upgrade tranny parts but be ready for it.

17. Module Unknown

Module Unknown Proven Member

San Jose, California
    Is this the car? :)

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/59735441.html

18. tstkl

tstkl Proven Member

east bay, California
    yep thats it, and she was going to bring it over today, but while she was getting it smogged, the mechanic noticed one of the sensors was either not working, or just not up to par, so she bought a new one for 260, and it wont cost me a dime.... guessing its the 02 sensor... should come tomorrow...about it being a money pit, everyone always says its a money pit, (along with stealth tts/3000gt vr-4s) but no one ever says, xyz part always breaks, or what exactly costs money on them...can anyone give me an idea of what to look out for?

19. ericbev

ericbev Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Coal City, Illinois
    As long as the belts etc. were done, there isnt anything immediate that you need to be concerned with.. Im sure that it has had the transfercase recall done but it wont hurt to run the VIN if you are not sure..You should be good to go from here..First order of business is go READ READ READ...Read all sorts of threads in the forums in here and many others...Try and build a nice knowledge base on basic principles and modifications...

The car looks pretty clean on the outsite which is a plus.. youll probably want to kill the rust asap for obvious reasons..You can probably find a hood on DSMtrader or many other sources.. junkyard..etc..Once again GL with your new toy.. and if you have any more questions were here :)

20. tstkl

tstkl Proven Member

east bay, California
    i did run a carfax and it came back clean, but i didnt look over it thourally, i just printed it for reference, where would it say if its had the tcase recall?

21. leakyfaucet

leakyfaucet Proven Member

cincinnati, Vermont
    I've never heard of a $260 o2 sensor, must have been something else.

22. ericbev

ericbev Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Coal City, Illinois
    dont think a carfax report has vehicle service history.. All you have to do is call a local dealer.. they can run the vin through the computer and find it immediatley..

And about that guy talkin about the 260 dollar O2 sensor...O2 sensors are usually 100-120 dollars... so It probably was something else.. maybe they replaced the front and rear O2s...Oh well as long as things are running right and you dont have to spend any money :thumb:

Oh yeah.. and stuff to look out for..drive it around a bit and get a feel for things..of course there is the obvious stuff like smoke and leaks.. make sure the tranny is shifting w/out grinding etc..no funny noises..the usual..

23. Bailzz

Bailzz Proven Member

Rockford, Illinois
    no front and rear O2 sensors on 1G, only on 2G's, of coarse shoddy mechanic might charge you for them. Thats a pretty good buy, wish I had bought a 1g awd for my first car, instead I bought as a toy. Funny thing is I snagged my off some rich guy in Chicage who didn't know better for $1800. Exactly whats in my profile (minus the Apex'i exhaust) is how it came along with 2 Kicker Comp VR12's, Fosgate 500.2 and a 200.4, Plus 4 infinity kappa 6.5's with the deck. The wastegate was rusted open so he thought the turbo was shot, and the ECU was popped, $150 later and I was boostin :p
    Anyways like said before, read, read, read. As for the money pit thing, personally I think its more about the upgrades and things you will want to do, not have to do. Welcome and good luck :thumb:

24. ericbev

ericbev Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Coal City, Illinois
    ahhh no rear O2 on 1Gs...My bad..as for the money pit thing.. Yeah I meant youll want to spend money to make it faster.. and faster.. and faster! and then youll drive it hard.. then youll probably break stuff..but its all in good fun..

25. tstkl

tstkl Proven Member

east bay, California
    my mom just said that the mechanic who was doing the smog test noticed that a sensor needed to be replaced, so i guessed it was an o2 cuz that has to do with the exaust...she(edit:the lady who has the car currently.)said she would be bringing it over at 630, and it is 630,.....i got home at 530, and damn this has been the longest hour of my life....