The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Going to look at a project tomorrow

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmiller95

Probationary Member
Dec 5, 2013
Carrollton, Illinois
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here and I understand how annoying these questions get but I've done a ton of reading and hopefully have a decent understanding of what I'm looking at. I'm going to look at a 97 gst with gsx suspension on it. It has a 6 bolt engine, 16g turbo (idk about injectors), a bigger fuel pump, 8.5:1 pistons (doesn't state the brand), awd exhaust from apexi, and an Apexi tuner. The car runs but needs the transfer case put in it. Which throws a flag as it could be masking other issues since it isn't drive able. The car is pictured to be in pretty good shape. I believe the owner used a donor car to convert over. I'm mechanically inclined and have worked on cars in a machine shop my whole life. I know to look for strut tower rust, the quality of work on the conversation, to check the turbo's shaft play, listen for a possible knock, and overall quality of the car. I don't mind a project at all. What other things should I look for? And the always evident question, what is a decent price range for the car if it is in good condition besides having to install the transfer case?

Thanks a bunch guys,
Colton

P.s. It also come with an EPROM ecu which to my understanding is better than the factory 2g one.

Shouldnt offer much trans is odds are bad i would tell the owner that as is offer is ? (whatever you feel its worth) and if he takes the time to put it back on you will pay ? Close to asking prive at least

A tcase doesnt take long to install the time it wi take you to inspect the car it could be back on considering its 5 bolts and to make it easier i always pull 2 02 housing bolts for downpipe odds are a must with apexi exhaust if he isnt willing to do that then its in my honest opinion not worth even looking at else getting very cheap

He's asking 1800 obo but I don't want to pay near that with the risks buying it includes. I was looking to pay maybe 1100 for it. My thought is why not put the transfer case on and drive it if nothing is wrong, it's worth alot more that way. So I think something must be wrong.

I would go for at $1100 worst case you part it out ..i would assume most of it is broken and its a ebay 16g with a stock old motor and if its not then bonus...
Post a pic

I figure the suspension for it is worth something too. He claims the 8.5:1 pistons (are those 2g pistons in a 1g engine?) and a 6 bolt is worth something since it does run. It also doesn't come with those rims, it comes with stock ones I believe.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

No engine pics but ill see it tomorrow. He said the interiors in good shape and has a lot of extra parts. Those are all the pictures posted. If I can get it for 1100 or less I'd be willing to rebuild the transmission myself since we have the tools and knowledge, I found a rebuild kit to be about $900? What's a running 6 bolt engine worth?

No engine pics but ill see it tomorrow. He said the interiors in good shape and has a lot of extra parts. Those are all the pictures posted. If I can get it for 1100 or less I'd be willing to rebuild the transmission myself since we have the tools and knowledge, I found a rebuild kit to be about $900? What's a running 6 bolt engine worth?
Depends on compression numbers and leakdown test hows it look inside when was timing compenents changed bse kit all stock internals and how bad does the person want one LOL

Haha thats all true! I should still be able to shift it into gear without the transfer case on right? I can start it and put it through all the gears and listen for noise. I know that you wont be able to tell everything since it isn't under a load but it's better than nothing.

Small world, I used to live in Medora, retired out of Olin.

I'm wondering why he's selling it now that all the hard work is done. Something sounds fishy. If you can, check under the car to see if the studs have been installed to bolt up the driveshaft, if so keep your fingers crossed that they're in the right place.

Do a compression test on the engine, just to get an idea of the engine condition.

Hard to really put a value on it. Whatever you feel it's worth. Got a feeling it's not as simple as installing the transfer case to finish it up.

I think its highly likely there is another issue lurking around. I'd offer up whatever you feel comfortable with, with an addition of $1500. Why this number? Because of the two major components that could be fudged. The trans or the "fresh" motor. I know you found a parts kit forthe trans for $900, but then upon inspection the mounts will be bad, another $200 for quality ones... you see where its going.

I'd personally go into it assuming the worst. Then later if its all good, you scored big time.

Not to ramble, but case in point. I looked at a ford bronco a few years ago with " transmission issues" for 2500. I got three quotes from shops around town, took them to the guy (they were about 1500-2000 quotes) and laid out $1000 cash after him seeing repair costs. I went under the car after i bought it and saw the shift linkage was out of adjustment. 25 minutes later I had an eddie bauer bronco with 97k on the thing, sold it two years later for $3700.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back