The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G General tool inquiry

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96talonchick

Proven Member
Feb 3, 2016
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
So I am seeking suggestions on need to buy tools specific to 4g63 engine and 2g body style.

Sadly my ex-husband is keeping all the tools in the divorce and now I can't even take a battery out without borrowing stuff.

What's the most basic stuff I need, and yes... Multiple 10mm and 12mm sockets are a must buy :)

If your on a budget like me buy a craftsman tools set with around 300 prices or a Dewalt. I have owned the Dewalt for around 7 year of hard use and never broken any tool. Close to $300 for a good one then just start buying other tools that u might need but that should be more then enough. You if have money and think you need quality tools then buy snap-on tools. I would definitely recommend a craftsman impact gun for suspension.

If your on a budget like me buy a craftsman tools set with around 300 prices or a Dewalt. I have owned the Dewalt for around 7 year of hard use and never broken any tool. Close to $300 for a good one then just start buying other tools that u might need but that should be more then enough. You if have money and think you need quality tools then buy snap-on tools. I would definitely recommend a craftsman impact gun for suspension.

DO NOT BUY CRAPSMEN. Craftsmen quality has gone so far down hill it literally dug its way to china.. Craftsmen tools are garbage.

Honestly Harborfreights Pitsburg Pro Rachets are better. Than anything you dont buy off a tool truck.

If i was just buying basic tools again this is what I'd get :

Jay Racing - Timing Belt tools
Harbor Freight 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 Pitsburg Pro ratchets, 1/4 Sockets, Wobble Extensions, Impact sockets 1/2" Drive. Wire cutters, wire strippers, trim removal tools, 4-in-1 screw driver, o2 sensor socket
Wiha - Screw drivers
Kobalt - Ratcheting Screwdriver
Gearwrench - Ratchet Wrenches, Standard Wrenches
Knipex Cobra Pliers

Its really hard for me recommend any 3/8" sockets other than Snap-On as I turn wrenches for a living, and I have not used any other tool company's 3/8" sockets besides matco, which aren't as good, and still too expensive for someone who isn't gonna be making a living with their tools. I like Stanley's 1/4" sockets, but I still have my old craftsmen stuff, and if you can find old used craftsmen sockets they are pretty good for the money. But the new ones are cheap and shitty jank ass garbage that belongs in the discount bin at a closeout store. Or just in the trash can.

Last edited:
That sucks girl. Here is what I bought after the thieves at my local track stole my toolbox, custom made tools and my alumimum racing jack. I have had it for 2 years and not one problem at all. I picked up a universal joint and tossed it in and the packaging/case holds extra tools like a 17mm end wrench that we all use on these cars. It has all the tools you will ever need.....well almost :)
If you don't trust Ebay then Amazon sells them too and that is where I got mine and the set for one of my sons in auto tech class.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

A 4g63 timing tool set is always nice to have too. Good luck.

I would also recommend getting a 10k megohm multimeter. I got one at walmart that does everything I need to when I was in tech school 5 years ago, and I still use it several times a week, it was about 20-30$.

Ball joint seperator is a must have, you can get them at harbor freight.

A good dead blow hammer is another must have, again I have a harbor freight one that is 3 years old, and I use it every day as a professional tech. Harbor freight has come a long way in the past 5 years, and thank god as craftsmen has gone so far down hill.

Harbor Freight also has a decent 2 piece Hose Pick set for removing stubborn coolant hoses.

Thanks a bunch. After 15 years together (since high school) one forgets everything that's in the garage. Never realized how much I was going to miss owning tools or a heated garage to work on my car in.

Thank God I have the forum and a few friends/family that can help me actually install shit since my ex always did it without me.

Tools are one of those things that take quite a bit of time to collect as they are best purchased as you need them.

I am have not done my homework on where you are located and types of stores available to you I will also consider that you are likely on a budget, so but here goes:

General hand tools:
  • A decent sized mechanics tool set would be very helpful for the bulk of jobs you need to do. A good selection of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 are preferred in both standard and deep-well sockets. I have Home Depots very close to me, so Husky is my preferred budget brand for tools. They are decent quality, but most carry a lifetime warranty. Unlike many other brands nowadays, you can bring the defective tool back for an instant replacement.
  • The following may come with a mechanic set, but should be noted:
    • Wrench set.
    • Allen Wrenches/keys
    • Screwdriver set
    • Extensions
    • Socket adapters
    • Swivel extensions
    • Hammer/mallet (metal, rubber)
Automotive:

• Spark plug socket
  • Breaker bar
  • Four-way
  • Torque wrench (3/8, 1/2)
  • Oil filter wrench/pliers/socket
  • Something to collect/transport used oil
  • Single edge razors/gasket scrapers
  • Multi-meter
  • Wire-strippers
  • Air compressor
  • Fluid transfer pump (gear oil)
  • Floor Jack (Harbor Freight Aluminum jacks perform well at a reasonable price point)
  • Jack stands (Again, Harbor Freight for reasonable price point)
  • Spark plug gauge
  • Pliers
Most specialty job automotive tools can be had taking advantage of loan-A-tool programs at most major chain auto parts stores ( Oreilly, Adanced Auto, Auto Zone, etc.) You pay up front for the tool, then return for a full refund when done.

DSM Must haves:
  • 4g63 Timing service tools (Any vendors)
  • Factory Service Manual!!!!! Free to download!
  • Boost leak tester
  • PB Blaster!!!!!!
  • Zip-ties
  • Nail clippers (great for cutting zip-ties)
  • logging software (ECMLink, EvoScan, etc.)
Good to have:
  • Gloves
  • Googles/Safety glasses
  • crawler/creeper
  • Electric impact guns (1/4, 1/2) Rigid have lifetime warranties at a VERY reasonable price). Under $200 for drill and 1/4 impact combo, $130 for 1/2 impact (300ish ft. lbs. of torque).
  • Brake bleeder tool (brakes/clutch)
  • Alcohol (Celebrate when the job is done)
This is just off the top of my head. Your tool collection will grow as you do with jobs you tackle. Keep it simple and review the procedure for each job you want to tackle before doing so. This way, you can buy the tools you will need to complete the job. Spare metal and wood are also helpful as you never know when you will need to make a tool to fit your need. Never overlook safety items......

Last edited:
I would Recommend Oil Filter Pliers, as opposed to an oil filter strap wrench. The pliers work much better.

I've not used a strap wrench in so long I forget they exist to often.

You will have to pardon terminology....How about something to remove an oil filter: Pliers/wrench/screwdriver,etc..

The item below can be referred to as either. It depends on where you purchase it..

Wrench Here: http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-3368f-oil-filter-wrench-2-5-16-to/p-SPM2403621914?plpSellerId=JB%20Tool%20Sales&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Pliers here: http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-336...=JB Tool Sales&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Last edited:
My floor jacks, jack stands, cherry picker, and engine stands are all Harbor Freight. Some items from there are just fine with me. Other items, I would not trust for my personal safety.

Another money saving tip...
Garage sales!!! I have never had the time personally but a buddy of mine has collected many old school quality tools at almost a steal of a price.

And yet another business that I frequent and can shop very frugal at is the Pawn Shop. They usually buy tools and should have a good selection. I get .25 cent sockets and wrenches at mine for extra's, but in your case it can be your main tools until later.

Harbor freight! Google coupons they really make a difference. Ignore the haters H.F is where its at with most not all things.
Crapsmen sucks, personal experience.

I run my own shop now, after 5 years of turning wrenches and giving 2/3rds-3/4ths of the flat rate to a shop owner, and I don't like being in debt... Half my shop equipment is from Harbor freight, and a good bit of my tools that are not sockets, wrenches, or corner case specialty tools.

Harbor freight, really isn't as bad as some say anymore. 10 years ago, most of their tools were shit, now they work quite well for most people with some tools being of exceptional quality even for professionals.

The biggest deal with Harbor freight, is their bad tools will have bad reviews on the website.

Thanks so much forum friends! And yeah I know gathering tools again will take me years. What I do know I own/will have in my possession is a scan tool, cam block tool that I bought for my car specifically and a screw driver.

I thank you much, this have given me a platform to start with and hopefully build on. Being on a severe budget is not something I am used to but hopefully it won't last too long. I do work for a parts store as a driver, so I will be looking at what's being discontinued/on sale today and seeing what I can pick up to start my projects after work.

As much hate as craftsman is getting, i just bought another ~230 pc tool set from them for 100 bux. The ratchets are pretty bad unless you get the professional or gold series, but for the money it's hard to pass up the socket selection and warranty. I've had the kit less than a week and it's paid for itself 2-fold.
Harbor freight has some ok stuff too, as long as you stay away from most of the electronics, tho some of the power/air tools aren't too bad.
I do automotive electrical for work, and have worked for a couple shops in the past doing full tech work, and I never saw a huge reason to pay mac/matco/snapon prices. There are definitely some of their tools that are badass, but the price isn't worth it unless you do alot of heavy work IMO.

HERE is a link to the mechanics set I purchased for junkyard runs/carrying in the car, hard to pass up for 100 bux.

HERE is a link for a handy set of ratcheting wrenches when space is at a premium, good price as well.

Past that:
-An electric impact set (Milwaukee, Makita, black and decker or ryobi) is very handy, and combined with some harbor freight quick-chuck socket adapters, makes alot of jobs go very fast.
-Impact socket set up to 32mm
-A good multi-meter is a must. Fluke, action, etc, with a good fluke-lead kit makes testing and tracking down electrical gremlins much easier.
-A timing light
-Timing belt tools (threaded rod, two pin pulley spanner adapter, cam lock tool)
-Small and medium pry bars.
-Various screwdrivers

For about 500 bux you can have a very competent tool set that gets you through just about any issue. Just shop smart and you'll find everything you need.

If you've got butter fingers like me you're gonna need one of these. Telescoping magnet for picking up dropped bolts and stuff in those hard to reach areas.

As much hate as craftsman is getting, i just bought another ~230 pc tool set from them for 100 bux. The ratchets are pretty bad unless you get the professional or gold series, but for the money it's hard to pass up the socket selection and warranty. I've had the kit less than a week and it's paid for itself 2-fold.

Except that the sockets are just as almost as bad as the ratchets. Before I purchase sockets that actually worked halfway decents I knew I was gonna round something off anytime I needed to do a bigger job, or do a job involving old fasteners (20+ years) or exhaust fasteners. Craftsmen sockets are probably the loosest, most ill fitting sockets. The broach is cut way to deep into the socket, the walls are far to thick, the face of the socket is rounded way way way too much. Sure it makes it really easy to get on a bolt, it also makes it really easy to slip off, busting a knuckle, or round a fastener. But yeah, you get a decent warranty. But as far fasenter tools go. Harbor freight sockets are okay, little better quality. Frustratingly they skip sizes, but I guess if you need those sizes you could fill them in. Ratchets are much better, best thing is they have warranties too, and much better prices.

The ratchets are aweful. They tear up far to easily, they really hurt your hands if you are using them longer than a couple minutes, they have extremly low teeth counts, like chineese bargain bin brand low teeth counts. I think I've seen more teeth in redneck hooker strung out on meth.

The flat panel wrenches hurt your hands too, and both the flat panel and polished wrenches spread to easily, and have heads that are too bulky to easily get onto fasteners in hard to reach or tight spaces.

Screw drivers are alright though.

If you can get old stock, or used craftsmen, they are of much better quality, sure. But the chinese made craftsmen is just garbage. Worse than Harbor freight, while more expensive.

I actually ended up giving away one of those 238 PC. "Mechanic's" sets in the big 3 drawer carry around because I had been trying to sell it for about 3 months and no one wanted to pay more than 40$ for it. So I just gave it to a friend who had no tools what so ever.

Last edited:
I can totally agree on alot of that @Tanro. I could complain all day about almost any tool, just saying a total kit is hard to have for the same price.

I do agree on the ratchets, craftsman dropped the ball hard on them. My only qualm with Pittsburgh ratchets is my luck hasn't been much better. Yes they have a tighter tooth count, which is great in small spaces, but I've broken just as many if not more of them. The tooth palls are too thin with poor mounting, and often cock in the housing after a little use, then they snap the first time you get some force behind them.

Anyway, can get em anywhere, lots of options. Actually, the used route is prolly the best suggestion yet, you can get some sweet stuff for almost nothing out there.

I've been using harbor freight for a while. They've definately stepped up their game. Plus it's lifetime warranty. I really like the husky ratchets.

Yard sales or fleetmarkets( los perros) as we call it have a variety of tools for cheap also. Keep ur head up! You'll show em!

You'll have a garage with great tools like Turbo Tom has. One can only dream right LOL

I can totally agree on alot of that @Tanro. I could complain all day about almost any tool, just saying a total kit is hard to have for the same price.

I do agree on the ratchets, craftsman dropped the ball hard on them. My only qualm with Pittsburgh ratchets is my luck hasn't been much better. Yes they have a tighter tooth count, which is great in small spaces, but I've broken just as many if not more of them. The tooth palls are too thin with poor mounting, and often cock in the housing after a little use, then they snap the first time you get some force behind them.

Anyway, can get em anywhere, lots of options. Actually, the used route is prolly the best suggestion yet, you can get some sweet stuff for almost nothing out there.

Really? I've been using my Pittsburg Pro 3/8" as much or more than my Snap-On FLF80 3/8" Long Flex at work since I tryed the new Pittsburg ratchets. Its got a good 5-6 months use.

1/2" Drive flex is my new breaker bar. I've put a 4' pipe on it and not broken it yet.

1/4" Drive is getting some use too. I did replace the lube in them with some White lithium grease when I bought them.

I just can't believe how far in quality craftsmen has fallen, while harbor freight has gotten better and continues to get better. I have to say, that HF will be a very good option for DIYers, and and it will work very well for New professionals that don't want to go $20k into debt the first year they are turning wrenches.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back