The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

GVR-4 Gas Tank Repair solutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAKE_15

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2012
Bakersfield, California
Long story short, the galant sat for 15 years from previous owner and as a result, the gas inside the tank caused a mess inside. I pressure washed the tank and was able to remove a good chunk of the gunk inside, but there is still rust, mainly just the top surface. Any recomendations on how to repair it? A friend reccommended the POR-15 repair kit but not sure if this will fix my issue since I'll need the chemicals to reach all the way to the top. The major rust is the top surface/ceiling from the inside. The first image is the top surface/ceiling

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 20170802_181408[1].jpg
    20170802_181408[1].jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 55
That doesn't look that bad. If it was me I would just do a soak in oxalic acid. It would dissolve all that rust no problem.

This kit correct? I'll try it out. How would I go on about having the chemicals reach the very top surface of the tank?
Yes I believe so. If I remember correctly he brushed it, swished it, turned it over, sacrificed a virgin etc. But it got all coated and then rinsed out. Nasty but thorough.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back