The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

FWD versus AWD [Merged 2-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrippleStar

Probationary Member
Sep 4, 2002
chicago_the_ILest
Hello, kids. Here is the Official AWD or FWD? thread. All the hare-brained arguments about "rolling starts" and "top speed" and "deadly transfer cases" and "drivetrain losses" and the rest of the mis-guided "better" advice is right here.

It's recommended you just skip reading it. You already know which you want, and why. Still, it's a place to dump it all.

Let's start with this fine opener from 2002 (it really doesn't get much better):

newbie to DSMs here, whats AWD and FWD. just sold my civic hatchback and got my eclipse not to long ago and im still learing the dsm101 stuff.

You know, who really cares about the drivetrain loss on the AWD models? I sure as hell don't. From a track perspective, by the time the AWD loss is noticeable, they are already past the finish line. I have a GS-T(duh), and on the track, I hate it:mad: , but on the street, I love it :) . If you don't drag race for food or love highways, go with a GS-T because they are still fun to work on. However you are on the track more than you are on the street, or live some where that rain and snow are a pain in the arse, get a GSX/TSI AWD.

ok guys im looking into buying a turbo dsm. have been for quite some time now. i found a tsi for 1990 tsi for 2300 in auto trader but wasnt sure if i should get it. i know the advantages of FWDs and AWDS but ive looked and looked and havent found a 1g awd that i can afford just yet. i saw one the other day in the classifides for 2300 but when i called they chick had already sold it. i want a car to build to take to the tracks and i know awd would be better. what do you guys think i should do????

wait for an AWD

I looked for over a year before the one i have fell into my lap.

:thumb:

I'd say wait if you have a year to waste looking for one, else pick up the fwd. Will probably be a little easier to find.

well if drag racing is your thing then your probably gonna wanna go with awd, unless you do some serious modding to a fwd it will never hook up as good as awd. i used to have a 97 talon awd and loved it, then someone ran into it and totalled it, so i looked for like 3 months for another awd, but couldnt find one for my price range so i just went with a gst, and its pretty sweet!

Originally posted by boostdevil
well if drag racing is your thing then your probably gonna wanna go with awd, unless you do some serious modding to a fwd it will never hook up as good as awd. i used to have a 97 talon awd and loved it, then someone ran into it and totalled it, so i looked for like 3 months for another awd, but couldnt find one for my price range so i just went with a gst, and its pretty sweet!

If your looking to race at the "track" your definately going to want the AWD for the outa the hole and the 60ft that you can pull. I waited about 1 1/2 years till the talon that I bought fell into my lap also and if I had to do it over I would still have bought AWD just for the fact that its so much easier to maintain in the bad weather but if something goes out drivetrain wise your in for alot more cash than normal... (trust_me_i_know)

If you got bad weather and everything = AWD
If you dont have bad weather and love runnin from a roll = FWD

Its all up to you.

There is a big difference from an awd and fwd on a roll. if you like playing on the highway, fwd is sweet. Lets justs say that i put more than 5 cars on an awd from a 2nd gear roll. he had an afc, fmic and a big16g...all things that i didnt. btw, ths is my bros account, i have a fwd laser.:laser:

im have a arguement over FWD 2g's verses AWD 2g's

who would honestly perfer the FWD better?

and why?

by the way the main arguement is about street racing... which is better.

No offense bro, but there's probably 23495068338 threads on this subject. Do a simple search and I'm sure you'll find more than enough answers to your question.

TBSpyder is right, There are many threads on this subject already. Its probably just going to turn into another awd vs fwd war.
gsx from stop gst from roll, take it or leave it.:|

Rob

Attachments

• argue.gif
    argue.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 291
Low horsepower:
AWD wins from a stop
FWD wins from a role

High horsepower:
Same senerios except
AWD breaks stuff
FWD has not traction at all.

The basics IMO.

"Use the Search" is not an acceptable response by itself. Just because a question has been answered before,...... :thumb:

The reason some like to only be fwd or maybe even rwd over awd is because we do not spend our life at a track. As evil as it may be, we spend alot of the speeding time on the highway.

Don't get me wrong, traction is nice, but I just break loose everywhere because I am fwd.;)

There is nothing like having your head stuck to your head rest when you slip the clutch just right at 4500-5000. One word INSANE. Sure FWD's can launch hard too but who wants to drive everywhere with slicks? Just my opinion I don't wanna start a fight.

Originally posted by Sk8er07999
There is nothing like having your head stuck to your head rest when you slip the clutch just right at 4500-5000. One word.....

ACT. Cause you will need to buy some stock in it if you keep slip the clutch just right at 4500-5000.:thumb:

LOL, I know what you mean about the head slam.:D I get it in 3rd, 4th, and 5th.OMG :shhh:

I'm often found to be not all that acceptable.

Use the goddamned search.

Wrong Wheel Drive is a crime against nature, physics, and contact patches.

Attachments

• hahafwd copy.jpg
    hahafwd copy.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 212
I am in the market for a DSM. I would like to have AWD because we get some snow and such every once in a while plus I'm sure the traction is nice. However, Everyone I talk to that owns or has owned a dsm tells me to stay away from AWD cars. Supposedly the transmissions are weak and expensive to fix. FWD car would probably be cheaper and more reliable. What do you all think I should do?

Originally posted by Camaro350
I am in the market for a DSM. I would like to have AWD because we get some snow and such every once in a while plus I'm sure the traction is nice. However, Everyone I talk to that owns or has owned a dsm tells me to stay away from AWD cars. Supposedly the transmissions are weak and expensive to fix. FWD car would probably be cheaper and more reliable. What do you all think I should do?

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7334
Theres already a thread about this.

AWD trannies are a little more expensive for the fact that they have a transfer case. Thats the only reason. :(

this is a poll that kinda follows up my other thread(which was hijacked:rolleyes: )

If you had the opertunity to sell or trade your FWD DSM for AWD DSM would you do it? yes or no?

And PLEASE if you have AWD dont' vote on this, because i want an accurate count. please!

And i don't want the response, well since i've done a bunh of modding to my FWD then why would i get AWD stock? Just pretend your trading it for the same exact mods on a AWD car....

In a heart beat. If I was AWD then I wouldnt have to spend all of my money converting my N/T to a turbo fwd and loose all my power in smoke of my tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

i should've made htis more specific.

OK THIS IS ONLY TO THE TURBO GUYS!!!!

TURBO FWD OWNERS ARE THE ONLY ONES TO VOTE PLEASE!!!

Originally posted by BacknBlack92ESi
I dont know if you read my post but I am turbo.

Yes, i know, i was jsut making sure that someone else doesn't see this thats N/T and say "o i would"

Because im FWD and i would sell mine for AWD any day...but then agian, anything is better than 1.8l:thumbdown

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back