The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

FWD versus AWD [Merged 2-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrippleStar

Probationary Member
Sep 4, 2002
chicago_the_ILest
Hello, kids. Here is the Official AWD or FWD? thread. All the hare-brained arguments about "rolling starts" and "top speed" and "deadly transfer cases" and "drivetrain losses" and the rest of the mis-guided "better" advice is right here.

It's recommended you just skip reading it. You already know which you want, and why. Still, it's a place to dump it all.

Let's start with this fine opener from 2002 (it really doesn't get much better):

newbie to DSMs here, whats AWD and FWD. just sold my civic hatchback and got my eclipse not to long ago and im still learing the dsm101 stuff.

I too am confused by this. Mine seems to pull pretty well in 3rd :)

In an earlier thread they were talking about the lack of pull an AWD had in 3rd gear. Some say that's when the other car did the flyby. I haven't seen it myself, but I was inquiring about it anyway. If you know different, please feel free to share.

3rd gear = power gear

pretty much any make and model pull the hardest in 3rd, this is why they dyno in 3rd.

Originally posted by Boostit
3rd gear = power gear

pretty much any make and model pull the hardest in 3rd, this is why they dyno in 3rd.

Not to flame you... but, some people would have said that just watching 2fast2furious, LOL.....

I lost track at 60.. for the amount of times I saw people shifting in that movie.. and 90% of that time it was 3rd :p

Originally posted by clownface
Whats the pros and cons for FWD and AWD when your draging.
Originally posted by clownface
Whats the pros and cons for FWD and AWD when your draging.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6676&highlight=fwd+awd
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3815&highlight=fwd+awd
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2767&highlight=fwd+awd
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1443&highlight=fwd+awd
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1549&highlight=fwd+awd

Thats threads of pro's and con's.
Search next time please, it dont bite. It actually is usefull.... ;)

Thread closed issue resolved question answered.
If you need anything else pm me about this question.

Thank You.

are there any downsides to awd vs fwd? I have a 93 laser n/t and a 93 gsx and I can tell awd takes off a LOT better, but I was just wondering if there was anything like loss of power in the higher speeds, etc. I've heard some bs about it and don't beleive it but I just wanna make sure.

There are 1000's of threads regarding this. Use the "Search" function and you will find a couple huge threads on this debate.

To make it short, AWD is faster off the line and a better drag car. FWD has better top end (due to less weight and no drivetrain loss to the rear) and is a better top speed car.

i know two brothers with the same year gsx and gst w/ same mods
the gst smokes the gsx everytime, no matter who is driving whos car, the gst is just plain faster

gsx's loose top end power, because of drive train losses, this is why people buy light weight wheels, flywheels, and other driveline parts

my friends gst is near stock and my tsi awd has enough mods to SMOKE a stocker and that thing can hang with me after a roll i would prolly take his gst by one car in a 20 mph-90mph race, if that were a awd with his mods i would sh!t stomp on it

a stock 2g gst runs 15.3 and a gsx runs 15.1 that is a two car differance, with the stock tires on both i think a gsx would take the gst by 3 off the line

so a 93 gsx and a 93 gst, same mods, same everything, will the difference even be noticeable and if so when... sorry I searched and couldn't find anything

hey there are other things to think about, u can get slicks for a fwd and it will launch hard and have more top end. ever think about that?
and fwd's don't break driveline parts nearly as often

I hate front-wheel drive. That's just me. I was raised on RWD and am much more used to it and how it behaves. I'm not sure what all to make of AWD, but my god, it's amazing in heavy rain or snow.

FWD 2G's are quicker stock than RWD. 0-60 in 6.4, 1/4 mile 15.0 vs. 0-60 in 7.0, 1/4 mile in 15.4 sec.

That is the only positives for FWD as while it is okay for low torque cars like Hondas, Celica's etc. it sucks for high torque cars like ours. I can't floor my car in 1st & 2nd gear due to severe wheelspin. Even and LSD won't completely limit wheelspin. If you have the choice, always take the AWD car.

i like how Gst's pull from roll/topend but all in all take an AWD and mod the hell out of it, making an all-around car

lock this fugkin thread already.. there are many of thse.. do a search.. and everytime another one is made.. it ends up becoming a damn argument.. u should know better to ask this if u urself have both..

ive had both.. so let me throw my blows.. but not an n/t.. a 2G GS-T and now a 2G GSX.. guess what.. i dont have the GS-T anymore.. that hsould tell u something.. ;)

let me tell u how it is straight up.. u will start regretting FWD once u start modding it and all u do is spin.. esp after seeing threads like these and all the AWD guys tell u how they would never get FWD :p FWD "TURBO" DSMs are koo.. but if u do a lot of STREET stop light racing and daily driving with a lot of HP.. its all about the GSX..

lsd, slicks, suspension, etc.. the excuses FWD peeps use to compensate for traction.. yet how many of them actually have all that.. what i miss about my GS-T was top end runs on the freeway.. and being able to do burn outs... even wen i didnt want to :)

First of all, RWD drivetrain losses are much smaller than most people like to quote. I remember someone doing FWD vs. AWD test on a 500hp car and got less than 10hp difference. I tried repeating such test on a DynoDynamics AWD Dyno to have some numbers of my own, but they couldn’t get my tires to stick to the rollers in the FWD mode, so we scrapped the test :(.

>FWD 2G's are quicker stock than RWD. 0-60 in 6.4, 1/4 mile 15.0 vs. 0-60 in 7.0, 1/4 mile in 15.4 sec.

You probably meant to say “than AWD”, right?

Now, think about this one for a minute. AWD cars have a huge advantage on the lunch, so how can FWD cars be faster 0-60? One major reason is because test drivers for magazines simply did not know how to drive these cars! For instance, I have seen several AWD cars (1G and 2G) running in high 14’s.

But if you abide by 7000rpm redline on AWD, you must shift into 3rd gear before you are going 60mph. That makes you loose .2-.3 sec of acceleration. FWD cars are geared differently and only have one gear shift to 60mph. So to extract the best 0-60 times out of a stock AWD 2G, you have to keep revving the asthmatic T-25 past the redline, which is also not a good thing!

It all comes down to this: who cares about stock cars and drivers who could not drive them right? These cars pretty much suck in stock form and should not be left alone this way.

But once you are start talking about “high power” (400hp+), FWD cars are pretty much USELESS, through most of the 3rd gear. I often had my car in FWD for dyno purposes and I would easily spin the tires (ultra sticky G-Force Drag Radials) at 70-80mph in the 3rd gear. I honestly do not know how FWD do it…

Leon
RR

Originally posted by GRNDSM

It all comes down to this: who cares about stock cars and drivers who could not drive them right? These cars pretty much suck in stock form and should not be left alone this way.

But once you are start talking about “high power” (400hp+), FWD cars are pretty much USELESS, through most of the 3rd gear. I often had my car in FWD for dyno purposes and I would easily spin the tires (ultra sticky G-Force Drag Radials) at 70-80mph in the 3rd gear. I honestly do not know how FWD do it…

RR

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back