The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

FWD versus AWD [Merged 2-8]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrippleStar

Probationary Member
Sep 4, 2002
chicago_the_ILest
Hello, kids. Here is the Official AWD or FWD? thread. All the hare-brained arguments about "rolling starts" and "top speed" and "deadly transfer cases" and "drivetrain losses" and the rest of the mis-guided "better" advice is right here.

It's recommended you just skip reading it. You already know which you want, and why. Still, it's a place to dump it all.

Let's start with this fine opener from 2002 (it really doesn't get much better):

newbie to DSMs here, whats AWD and FWD. just sold my civic hatchback and got my eclipse not to long ago and im still learing the dsm101 stuff.

I believe the AWD is the only difference and then the set up on some things (like the exaust) is different due to the fact.

However, both cars have the same amount of power but the GSX would win from a stand still due to better traction with the AWD. But a GS-T would win from a rolling start due to the fact that both cars already have traction(so the AWD advantage is lost) and the AWD weights the car down a bit making the GS-T lighter....

So in other words which you should get depends on what you will use it for.....

awd's handle better i believe sense your using all 4 wheels to put power to the ground you use less traction at the front wheels and more at the rear wheels evening things out making for a better handeling car. my .02
Ryan

awd's handle better i believe sense your using all 4 wheels to put power to the ground you use less traction at the front wheels and more at the rear wheels evening things out making for a better handeling car. my .02
Ryan

AWD's weigh more, have a shitload of parasitic drag from the AWD which equals power loss at the top end, also AWD's are much more prone to breaking stuff since there is more parts and more strain on the drivetrain when launching. Personally I like the FWD's for the weight savings, more reliability, and I know how to drive.;)

Hi, i found a talon tsi with 41k miles on it, I was wondering should i get the car, or keep looking for awd, im not going to drive it in the winter so its not like i need awd, As far as mods go for the fwd, if i get the car i plan on putting the BM tranny lsd insert in, and then start upgrading intake and exhaust, as far as getting the exh. manifold ported, anyone know where to get it done for a $100 or less, and then should i get the o2 sensor housing ported or look for an evo one? then as far as downpipes, which is a good one. With catback exhaust which would be good, also will the car be extremely loud with a straight pipe vs. cat converter. And then also where do u get the 1g BOV, do u also need to upper ic pipe with adapter or how do u get the bov to mount up? Also what 1/4 times would u expect to see with these upgrades with boost swt like at 16 psi with t25

OK, what kind of racing will you be doing with the car, from a stop or seeing some honda driving next to you and going for it. but the all out beuty of the dsm's is fo r our AWD, so it kinda just depends on how you are going to drive it. What year is the car that you found. and how does it look?
And for your other questions get the evo III manifold flows better than the 2g manny. to port the turbine inlet itll cost ya 40-50 bucks but i yet can find someone to port the runners. When you get your exhaust get a turbo back 2.5 inch or 3 inch this will be in your best interest cause if you get the 3 inch turbo back then the o2 will be a full 3 inch. And on research i personally think the RNR turboback system is the one to get. If you dont have emissions then dont get a cat, they just restriction, and ya itll be a little loud but turboed cars always have a good sound. and the 1g BOV look at the sponsors on this site alot of them sell the BOV.
And for the 1/4 mile time with all of that and a MBC probably low 14's high 13's just a guess.
-KY

the car im looking at is a 95, it has chameleon paint job, and it appears to be in good condition, its also a california car supposedly, so it doesnt ahve rust. I just cant seem to find the right awd for a good price and then this one came up

I dunno as far as racing goes i prolly would do from a role but not for sure. But with awd i don't know if i wanna deal with the center diff, and all that other stuff in the driveline, i figure with fwd get the bmtranny insert so the car has a front lsd. And then I'd be set.

Originally posted by obssesed
1). Hi, i found a talon tsi with 41k miles on it, I was wondering should i get the car, or keep looking for awd

2). As far as mods go for the fwd, as far as getting the exh. manifold ported, anyone know where to get it done for a $100 or less

3). and then should i get the o2 sensor housing ported or look for an evo one?

4). then as far as downpipes, which is a good one.

5). With catback exhaust which would be good, also will the car be extremely loud with a straight pipe vs. cat converter.

6). And then also where do u get the 1g BOV, do u also need to upper ic pipe with adapter or how do u get the bov to mount up?

7). Also what 1/4 times would u expect to see with these upgrades with boost swt like at 16 psi with t25

1). Depends on the price and your preference :)

2). You can port it yourself if you get a carbide porting bit. Takes some time. If not, you could prolly take it to a machine shop or just buy one from TRE.

3). Either or. Evo is bigger, or you can eliminate the O2 housing by purchasing an O2 eliminator dp from a place like RNR.

4). RNR 3" O2/Cat eliminator dp (or anyone thats 3" ALL the way through).

5). I will always vote for an Apex N1 catback exhaust because of the looks, sound, and quality. Im running a cat eliminator dp and it sounds great. You will like the way it sounds (only loud at WOT).

6). I have a 1G BOV for sale. $45 shipped to you. Unsure about the flange though, you may wanna ask about it...

7). I would say low 14's, maybe high 13's in a 2G GSX (depending on driving). Minus 2-3 tenths for a GST.

Ok I did read up on them but all my questions are still not answered.

This is all assuming the same stock car and the only weight is differences because of drivetrain parts.

AWD beats both FWD and RWD in launch correct?
RWD and FWD beats AWD off roll correct?
AWD beats both FWD and RWD in twisties correct?
Which wins in a straight line FWD or RWD?
The reason AWD isn't as fast on a roll is because of drivetain loss and weight?

LOL so many questions and i prolly confused people sorry

haha thank you... wut is the reason that rwd is faster fwd? is it because of weight distribution? it's better to have weight in the front of a fwd car right? then how is a rwd faster.. there is more weight in the front because of the engine?

what i am asking is if they were the same car... like a fwd vette vs a rwd vette? or gst fwd vs gst rwd ?

RWD pushes the car and all the weight...
FWD Pulls the car and all the weight...
AWD pushes and pulls...? huh...

Anyway when it comes to traction FWD tends to be less efficient from the line cause the way the cars lift the front nose, in the case of the RWD the wheels are very well placed in the ground, and the FWD could get high enough to lose quite some grip, but of course that there are so many aplications in racing, and so many preferences, like Drag racing, Drifting-AutoX, street racing etc...

IMO any car with a well done suspension job can achieve great results...

haha thank you ivan... that was about what i was lookin to hear.. :) im now a more educated DSM'r got so much to learn jeez... been on dsmtalk and dsmtuners for more than a year learnin bout these cars but i skipped general stuff like advantages of rwd and stuff

thanks to all who answered

From a roll identical cars identical crank hp the FWD will win due to the least amount of drivetrain loss of the 3. No driveshafts etc..

hey guys whats going on! i have a question. i currently have a 90 talon tsi fwd and im thinking of upgrading my turbo but i got a good deal on a 91 eclipse gsx is pretty decent pretty much stock. the guy with the car really needs the money and the space so hes selling it for a dirty cheap $2000obo. what do you gyus think i should do? should i sell my car and get the gsx and invest mad cash on it or keep my fwd talon as my daily driver and go all out on the gsx and make it my race only car. any info would really be appriciated. you guys have really been alot of help. thanks guys!

I say keep your car and buy the gsx and mod it too. That way you can have 2 dsm's and twice the headache. But seriously get both.

The more DSM's the better!!!!!:thumb:
Both are great cars,You want a race car?Get AWD.....This subject has been BEATEN to death,try a search and you should find tons of pros and cons for both AWD and FWD.

Hey guys, I was just reading a forum on GST vs GSX. I'm wondering what is the solution to fix the 3rd gear lack of pull on an AWD. Isn't there some kind of tranny kit that could fix that?:talon: :talon:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back