The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fwd lsd options

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No one on this? Most of the LSD threads are pretty old now and some of the options seem to have changed.

But basically it looks like the Quaife, Wavetrac, or Kaaz for 1k+. Was trying to find the "rip grip" but all I kept finding was the "phantom grip" which is the same thing and appears to be $380 now.

T.r.e. offered the rip grip. Was about 400 bucks but also included a machined front did that didn't destroy it's self like a phantom grip. Core charge in diff.

I loved my rip grip.

Another cheap option is Evo lsd from imported Evo 1-3. With fwd bearings on the diff.

Is it really that simple? I had read something about this but it looked like some machining was required and hadn't heard of it otherwise

The only one to avoid is the viscous from the Evo 1-3, it can only take one ring gear, which only works with the Evo-specific shaft.
Most mechanical Evo 1-3 diffs will work, you'll just need the FWD bearings and correct axles.

I'd spend the money on the Quaife if you're really serious. I considered a Phantom Grip many many years ago when I trying to decide about my GST, but it just wasn't a true LSD replacement - it's more like a bolt-on. I installed a LSD (I forget the brand now) in my 420A back in like 2002 and it made a tremendous difference for the years I ran it. It got really hard to hold the steering wheel from launch though. Anyway, after that experience I just wouldn't do anything other than a full diff replacement. In the end I'm in the midst of an AWD drive swap on my GST now, but it was either gonna be that or a Quaife.

I agree I plan on saving for a quaife I don't want inserts Iv heard horror stories about them. When I get the money the talon needs new tires as well as a lsd. I wish a awd swap was in the cards for me but 1g's have to be diffcult. Thanks for all the replies guys!

If you do not want to spend the money you can always just use and insert. I had one in my GST for about two years and I never had a problem. I guess it depends what are your HP goals are but I was told back in the days when I bought mine that they were not recommended for anything over 500 HP. There was a company out there which I don't remember right now that stated that they have it one of their cars and it was holding over 700 HP.

How do the two compare I don't know to much about difs and always like to learn new stuff. I'm budgeting for one my car will be a street car but mostly a toy at the local track is my thought. I need to spend some time on it

I have a Quaife QDH8B in my F5M33.... it is fantastic. Bear in mind that you are in for some preload f***ery if you change this out in your car..... and the mitsubishi shims are not available anywhere I've been able to find. Putting the Quaife in my car got 3rd gear to grip alot better than it did before when boost came in.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back