The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Full 3M 1080 Vinyl Wrap (PIC HEAVY)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The stuff that I have is more of a sticker type deal.The stuff your using is more of a film.

So that means my stuff is not really a film, and is just more of a sticker.

Wow, that looks amazing op! I was kinda stressing as my 2g is pretty ugly.. But doing a wrap like this would make my car the apple of my eye! Any tips since your pretty accustomed to it now?

Looks really good! I wrapped my GSXR a couple years ago, and while it looks great when it's done, it starts looking crappy pretty quickly. I think a bike is more prone to getting dinged up since a person is getting on and off of it constantly. Hope your's holds up for you, it really is a good/effective way for a color change though.

Looks really good! I work for a shop that does full vinyl wraps. They do cars with so many more corners and sharp edges, Im convinced wrapping a 2g would be a piece of cake.

Do the engine bay next, so you don't have to worry about the green throwing it off.

that looks so sweet! you said that the paint before was already pretty perfect, how do small rock chips and such affect the outcome of the film?

looks AMAZING. sweet color choice too, along with the flakes

As far as any pointers go, the biggest help is having an extra set of hands or two in order to help stretch the vinyl and lay it onto the panels flat, use lots of heat and use it on the entire section not just the spot you are trying to lay down in order to distribute the stretch evenly and not melt or tear the vinyl.

Rock chips and scratches are really not a major issue, most of my small rock chips and scratches are now invisible as the vinyl is just thick enough to conceal them. The truck of the car had a few good key marks in it from the previous owners ex gf (go figure), and they are now invisible.

Under the hood is still green, I wrapped the vinyl maybe a half inch under the hood just for adhesion. I dont plan on doing the door jams, under the hood, engine bay ect, mainly because I plan to strip the car completely at the end of this summer and have it painted. Of course plans always seem to change so who knows maybe I will change my mind and wrap everything.

I will be ordering CF wrap at the end of the week and possibly doing my hood over and doing the center section of my spoiler, or maybe leaving the spoiler and doing the trunk. We will see....pics to follow

Looks great! We're debating between wrapping and painting my friend's project car, I'll have to show him this. Only concern is the car's all primer so we don't want it to start peeling.

I did the roof and hood on another friend's 1G recently, the hardest part is definitely the hood bulge. It took a lot of heat and patience to get it to stretch around without ruining it. One trick I used was to wet it down and then work it out as you go with a squeegee like you do with window tint.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Looks great! We're debating between wrapping and painting my friend's project car, I'll have to show him this. Only concern is the car's all primer so we don't want it to start peeling.

I did the roof and hood on another friend's 1G recently, the hardest part is definitely the hood bulge. It took a lot of heat and patience to get it to stretch around without ruining it. One trick I used was to wet it down and then work it out as you go with a squeegee like you do with window tint.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The hood was AWFUL! I feel your pain and I think the 2g hump is even worse. I ruined a huge piece at the end of wrapping the hood the first time at the hump in the hood. The air dams in the front bumper are no picnic either, getting the vinyl to heat up and stretch into them are by far the worst part. We will soo how the rear bumper goes this weekend. I will take a few before, during, and after pics.

As always, thank you all for the kind words!

Great job man! I've helped wrap a few cars (portions) now and it's definitely a pain. Not hard once you get the hang of it, just a pain. I'll probably be doing mine soon.

Alright, so what's the best solution for getting the car prepped for the vinyl after bodywork? If it doesn't stick to primer well, what is the suggested procedure? Do you actually have to repaint the car and clear coat it just to be able to wrap it? Or will the 3M products allow you to go over the primer spots for similar adhesion?

Alright, so what's the best solution for getting the car prepped for the vinyl after bodywork? If it doesn't stick to primer well, what is the suggested procedure? Do you actually have to repaint the car and clear coat it just to be able to wrap it? Or will the 3M products allow you to go over the primer spots for similar adhesion?

I gave 3M a call for you, they said that it will stick to primer surface but the adhesion is not as good as a clearcoated surface. It will still last awhile but, they recommend using a adhesion promoter, something like rapid-tac would be your best bet.

Rapid Tac 32oz Sprayer ~ Shop Online or Call 888-488-4695-NOW!

Hope that helps.

I gave 3M a call for you, they said that it will stick to primer surface but the adhesion is not as good as a clearcoated surface. It will still last awhile but, they recommend using a adhesion promoter, something like rapid-tac would be your best bet.

Rapid Tac 32oz Sprayer ~ Shop Online or Call 888-488-4695-NOW!

Hope that helps.
Wonder if that will be as good as having a clear coat. Hell, maybe it's better to just rattle can a little paint and clear... better yet, maybe I just need to toy around with paintless dent repair tools. Thanks for calling 3M - that was very cool.

Looks awesome, great job.

This offers so many possibilities. Imagine wrapping a brand new car and then peeling it off 5 years 100,000 miles later and BAM brand new paint underneath. Great for resale or just to enjoy.

Looks awesome, great job.

This offers so many possibilities. Imagine wrapping a brand new car and then peeling it off 5 years 100,000 miles later and BAM brand new paint underneath. Great for resale or just to enjoy.

Seems a lot of people are doing that to protect cars over the winter, plastidip is a better solution IMO for that though since its a hell of a lot easier and faster. Vinyl looks way better though.

I didnt get a chance to work on the car at all this past weekend :banghead:

The new headlights did come in and I will be installing them on weds as well as hopefully wrapping the rear bumper. Expect me to photo bomb this thread Weds night LOL :hellyeah:

Wonder if that will be as good as having a clear coat. Hell, maybe it's better to just rattle can a little paint and clear... better yet, maybe I just need to toy around with paintless dent repair tools. Thanks for calling 3M - that was very cool.

I bet if you do a really good job prepping, use rapid tac, and use the 3M edge sealer you would be fine. Carbon fiber wrap the hood and see how it takes before you wrap the entire car. If you lived locally I would say bring it by the garage LOL

I bet if you do a really good job prepping, use rapid tac, and use the 3M edge sealer you would be fine. Carbon fiber wrap the hood and see how it takes before you wrap the entire car. If you lived locally I would say bring it by the garage LOL
Funny enough, I'm actually going to be wrapping a carbon fiber hood to match the rest of the car. I will start out with some smaller pieces, maybe some interior pieces to get a feel for it though. I'll work my way up. ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back