The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Fuel pump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo2g

5+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2017
Fallbrook, California
Hey guys, do you think this Delphi pump is any good? $13.90 seems to good to be true, but I'm thinking about doing it. My pump hasn't quite failed yet, and I would plan to keep it in the car in case this new one fails, but the reason I'm wanting to change the pump is that it has a super long crank if I don't key the ignition on few times before cranking. Pressure bleeds back to the tank over night. So the first start of the day is long. I don't want to spend a lot of money when it's such a small issue. But this would be worth it if it's a good pump. Anyone have a reason not to run it?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...urbocharged,1316583,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump,6256

Hey guys, do you think this Delphi pump is any good? $13.90 seems to good to be true, but I'm thinking about doing it. My pump hasn't quite failed yet, and I would plan to keep it in the car in case this new one fails, but the reason I'm wanting to change the pump is that it has a super long crank if I don't key the ignition on few times before cranking. Pressure bleeds back to the tank over night. So the first start of the day is long. I don't want to spend a lot of money when it's such a small issue. But this would be worth it if it's a good pump. Anyone have a reason not to run it?

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...urbocharged,1316583,fuel+&+air,fuel+pump,6256
A walbro fuel pump and alot of money cant be used in the same sentence. Go on extremepsi and invest in a walbro and be done with it. What do you think your getting for 13 dollars? Whats the saying? If it sounds too good to be true? ....... ....

Keep in mind pressure bleeding back isn't necessarily the fuel pump. Thats just one possibility. The rock auto pump is just a stock replacement. Delphi is an oem supplier to many manufacturers. If what you need is a stock pump looks good to me.

Exactly, stock is all I need. And like I said, I'd keep the one I have as a back up in the car. Delphi is a big name brand. I don't want to increase GPH or anything like that. Besides, about 8 years ago I put a Walbro in an eclipse I had and the damn car would die going down the road intermittently. Swapped the stock back in and never had an issue. Not saying they all suck, but this car is stock and staying stock, no reason to go away from factory reliability in this case.

What else could cause pressure bleed off? I'm pretty certain that's all it can be in this car.. The regulator wouldn't have to do with that, the injectors aren't leaking, and there are no external leaks. The only way would be back through the pump. The fact that I can key on a few times and it starts right up kinda gives it away if you ask me.. But I'm more than open to hearing other possibilities before I buy a part that's not it!

My pressure bleeds off, nothing new to me and it starts right up. You do have a good fuel filter don't you? Free flow thru it?

Exactly, stock is all I need. And like I said, I'd keep the one I have as a back up in the car. Delphi is a big name brand. I don't want to increase GPH or anything like that. Besides, about 8 years ago I put a Walbro in an eclipse I had and the damn car would die going down the road intermittently. Swapped the stock back in and never had an issue. Not saying they all suck, but this car is stock and staying stock, no reason to go away from factory reliability in this case.

What else could cause pressure bleed off? I'm pretty certain that's all it can be in this car.. The regulator wouldn't have to do with that, the injectors aren't leaking, and there are no external leaks. The only way would be back through the pump. The fact that I can key on a few times and it starts right up kinda gives it away if you ask me.. But I'm more than open to hearing other possibilities before I buy a part that's not it!
Injectors was where I was going but if you're sure they're not leaking then you are probably right it's through the pump. You could also have a connection issue at the outlet of the pump inside the tank.

I would also be cautious of eBay as well, two of my friends with Honda’s have ordered what they thought was walbro 255 pumps in reality they were knock offs and only lasted about a month. I agree with amsrn13, get it from extremepsi just to be safe.

My pressure bleeds off, nothing new to me and it starts right up. You do have a good fuel filter don't you? Free flow thru it?

Must not be bleeding off bad LOL. Yes I put a new filter on. Was the same before and after.

Injectors was where I was going but if you're sure they're not leaking then you are probably right it's through the pump. You could also have a connection issue at the outlet of the pump inside the tank.

Cool, I'll be fixing any issues I find when I go in with the new pump.

I'm ordering a new strainer because it doesn't look like it comes with one and a new seal for the top of the module too. Anything else I need? I haven't had any issues with my fuel level sender, I'll leave that alone.

Well if your car is anything like mine you will probably need new nuts for the fuel pump bracket that holds the pump to the tank. I also needed to make that bracket that holds the fuel pump because that was rusted to nothing, one thing that really got me was when I finally got the fuel pump out, I flashed a light in the tank and it was rusted pretty bad so I know I’m looking at ether me making a custom stainless tank or a fuel cell, it’s really funny because the whole car doesn’t have a spot of rust on it but yet the tank is almost rusted through. That would be the last thing you want running through your new pump and fuel system, hopefully yours goes smoother then mine did LOL.

Thanks, I'll be sure to look. California car here, I doubt there are rust issues, but you never know until you look.

Spend the extra money and get the walbro. If you ever want to do future upgrades you will not be limited to what your fuel pump can handle(for most circumstances) . Also, why do the same job twice? Peace of mind is well worth it!

Does it seem to good to be true? Yes. Even their cheapest economy pump is $18, with rock auto you could be getting a knock off delphi.

You also didn't mention if your car is all wheel drive or front wheel drive

I'm going to ask why would you think rockauto has knockoff stuff? I'm not saying one way or another as I don't know but it made me raise an eyebrow. It seems some of the cheap stuff they have is from retailer distribution parts that aren't selling. Ive gotten carquest parts from them.
I'm gonna go with the OP. Maybe he's broke. I've seen a dsmer take apart a trans, measure and reassemble to get to work then order shims because he couldn't afford multiple shims. The next week he did it again and fixed it. Labor is free. If money isn't an issue then yes I agree with you guys I wouldn't put a stock pump in. Walbro pumps are too inexpensive. We don't know the situation.

^ sometimes rock auto sends you stuff that isn't as pictured as a suitable replacement or maybe has another brand name tacked on. If ever in doubt their return policy is excellent. I have placed hundreds of orders through them of parts i thought were too cheap to be true. Wholesaler closeouts are ridiculous, but the only drawback is only a 30 day return. I Was saddened when one of my $10 kyb gr2s blew out after a year and i had to spend $20 on a new one hahaha. Yeah you're pretty much a fool if you don't use rock auto at this point. You can also set your cart up so all items ship from the same place if you dont know how rock auto works yet. And always search other options especially if it isnt engine specific (like if you have a talon always look under eclipse as well, and searching under non turbo tends to offer cheaper options, etc) Alot of times i get the part numbers from rock then search ebay for a better price with no shipping but again I prefer rock's customer service. I think I've only actually had to return one item, the rest of returns they just refund you without even sending it back. Personally I use Evo X OEM pumps since the Evo guys sell them for $20-40 and theoretically they're not that old and have a flow rate somewhere between a wally 190 and255.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The OP also has the option of ordering a stock Evo 9 or X replacement from rock auto as well. Even with the stocker I'd rewire the pump just for reliability. I made my own rewire "kit" for less than $20.
I know its hard for some old timers to comprehend but You CAN get quality products ridiculously cheap if you know where to look and how to utilize the internet marketplaces to their maximum potential. I was just figuring this out over the weekend, I saved approximately $3k on a $15k renovation on a foreclosure buying supplies online compared to buying all my stuff at Home Depot which people (myself included) assume is the cheapest place to buy stuff like Walmart (don't get me started on walmart.com, another way to save) Unless you need whatever it is immediately, it will always be cheaper online.

Last edited:
I get great parts through rock auto, ebay and amazon all the time. Just curious about this delphi. Its on a closeout so it makes sense. Im gonna take advantage for the price.

My signature says what my car is by the way..

I'm going to ask why would you think rockauto has knockoff stuff? I'm not saying one way or another as I don't know but it made me raise an eyebrow. It seems some of the cheap stuff they have is from retailer distribution parts that aren't selling. Ive gotten carquest parts from them.
I'm gonna go with the OP. Maybe he's broke. I've seen a dsmer take apart a trans, measure and reassemble to get to work then order shims because he couldn't afford multiple shims. The next week he did it again and fixed it. Labor is free. If money isn't an issue then yes I agree with you guys I wouldn't put a stock pump in. Walbro pumps are too inexpensive. We don't know the situation.

If a deal sounds too good to be true it usually is.

As mentioned rock auto doesn't always send you what you ordered.

I've never received anything but terrible customer service from them. I ordered the parts for my timing belt job like gaskets and new belts and didn't receive the brand's I specifically ordered. I ordered 3 continental belts and received 3 different brands of belts. I ordered all fel pro gaskets and received a cheap no name valve cover gasket.

Their return department was a joke. I was told that sending me 3 different non matching belts was perfectly acceptable, and that their warehouse said the plastic baggie valve cover gasket was fel pro. I asked for a phone number to speak with a representative and I was bounced around in emails from that point with a new email responder every time telling me the only acceptable situation was for me to send back the parts and pay for shipping for them to review the parts to credit me for a refund. We were talking about belts I bought for $3 each and a valve cover gasket for $7.

Not sure how you can say you received great customer service, as long as they ship you a part they don't give a crap what part it is

However I will tell you this, I have always received amazing customer service from sellers on eBay. Seriously, I bought a G-plus clear timing cover for $17 shipped, it took two weeks to receive and I emailed the seller and they sent me $7 back to refund the shipping DHL charged them. I bought a Chinese aluminum radiator from eBay for my camaro, it came in the mail and the radiator core was warped. I sent the seller a few pictures and they immediately sent me a replacement free of cost. I will always choose eBay over rock auto.

Dealing with the seller as a buyer is much better than getting sh1t on by rock auto as the middle man for whatever warehouse sends you whatever part. Ebay>rockauto

Last edited:
If a deal sounds too good to be true it usually is.

As mentioned rock auto doesn't always send you what you ordered.

I've never received anything but terrible customer service from them. I ordered the parts for my timing belt job like gaskets and new belts and didn't receive the brand's I specifically ordered. I ordered 3 continental belts and received 3 different brands of belts. I ordered all fel pro gaskets and received a cheap no name valve cover gasket.

Their return department was a joke. I was told that sending me 3 different non matching belts was perfectly acceptable, and that their warehouse said the plastic baggie valve cover gasket was fel pro. I asked for a phone number to speak with a representative and I was bounced around in emails from that point with a new email responder every time telling me the only acceptable situation was for me to send back the parts and pay for shipping for them to review the parts to credit me for a refund. We were talking about belts I bought for $3 each and a valve cover gasket for $7.

Not sure how you can say you received great customer service, as long as they ship you a part they don't give a crap what part it is

However I will tell you this, I have always received amazing customer service from sellers on eBay. Seriously, I bought a G-plus clear timing cover for $17 shipped, it took two weeks to receive and I emailed the seller and they sent me $7 back to refund the shipping DHL charged them. I bought a Chinese aluminum radiator from eBay for my camaro, it came in the mail and the radiator core was warped. I sent the seller a few pictures and they immediately sent me a replacement free of cost. I will always choose eBay over rock auto.

Dealing with the seller as a buyer is much better than getting sh1t on by rock auto as the middle man for whatever warehouse sends you whatever part. Ebay>rockauto
Wow I can see your point. I have always received what I ordered. I counted up the other day and I think i have like 50 orders.
OP take that for what its worth.

Ive never had a fuel pump issue but ive had other wiring issues, i picked up a walbro 450 for my goals but, thats someting you would want to buy new, whatever choice you decide.

Wow I can see your point. I have always received what I ordered. I counted up the other day and I think i have like 50 orders.
OP take that for what its worth.

To be fair I'm being petty about it. It was $11 worth of parts, however to my counter point, it was not what I ordered and they did not care.

So to them it was worth $11 to have a disgruntled customer.

I remember reading your post when your belt debacle happened now. I understand your discontent now, and I also wholeheartedly agree with eBay sellers. In fact if you're looking under "economy" parts on rock you can usually find them for the exact same price shipped on eBay through a myriad of different sellers.
But in my experience the few times I got a part that didn't match the description or sent a "suitable replacement" from rock I just returned it and they paid postage. Its funny, I've ordered at least 10 fel pro valve cover gaskets from them (and I send anyone looking to them as well) and always got what I ordered, always on wholesaler closeout for like $10. Sometimes the packaging is old or damaged or from a store but always the right product (if I got anything other than a fel pro I'd feel the same way as you). Speaking of $10, my $10 starter is still starting LOL.
Also ive contacted their customer service department numerous times via phone and I don't remember it being aggravating or problematic. Just saying personally I've saved so much through them on so many cars I couldn't afford not to use them esp with closeouts. I've also been lucking out with amazon warehouse deals lately. Just picked up gabriel struts for my jeep for $9 each.
And I know everyone is oh so moral on this forum but when in doubt (only with corporate shippers who can write it off) just say it was damaged upon arrival.

Honestly I have over an entire fridge completely covered with rock auto magnets. The only reason I keep ordering is I have yet to receive mary beths talon magnet.

Last edited:
I have to say, rock auto has been great for me, Ive never had a problem. And the prices are usually the best. As long as you can work the shipping. I'm a professional technician as some of you know. I buy broke down cars and sell on the side, about 5-6 cars a year, for side money. Rock auto has been a go to for so many cars, for so many areas of repair. Its all good name brand stuff. This GST was another, customer could't afford the repairs so I bought it dirt cheap, deal. Many parts on the now running car are from rock and ebay. I can't afford any other way if I'm gonna make selling these cars worth while. I fixed and sold a c5 corvette, lr3 land rover, 3rd gen eclipse, and a s13 240sx this year. This GST is something I'm debating keeping if it comes out nice. Haven't messed with the exterior yet. But the point is, Asian, European, domestic, and many many cars I've gone through over the years, Rock auto is still a go to for me for a reason.

Man you got to keep it :) I plan on picking up a 2g gsx thats blown and sticking a 6 bolt in there, of course I will have to push it to the side until I get this laser done. I actually ordered a isc from them and received it in two days, worked beautifully until the timing belt decided to let go on me, now it just sits on the shelf :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back