Fuel Pressure Regulator Location

Posted by hydrojenn, May 13, 2012
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. hydrojenn

hydrojenn Probationary Member

San Jose, California
    I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0 DOHC auto transmission

Took it to a mechanic that says I need a "possible" Fuel Pressure Regulator and Fuel Pump replacement in order to pass smog.

Where is the Fuel Pressure Regulator located in my vehicle? Does it even have one? I can't get a straight answer via Google or my Chiltons book.

Thanks in advance.
    Jenn
  2. WES_393

WES_393 DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    Colo Spgs, Colorado
    It's either on the fuel rail itslef with a return line to the tank, or under the car near the fuel tank right after the fuel filter. Given that you have a 96, it's most likely under the car.

Did your mechanic tell you the exact reason it failed smog? I wouldn't replace the fuel pump, just the FPR if he says it's important. I would give the car a good tune up (spark plugs, spark plug wires, even front O2 sensor) before you replace the fuel pump.
  3. 007jimmy

007jimmy Proven Member

Levittown, Pennsylvania
    95s and early 96 models had the FPR at the end of the fuel rail. Late 96-99 had the FPR back by the gas tank as stated.
  4. hydrojenn

hydrojenn Probationary Member

San Jose, California
    Thanks, guys! I'm checking right now! :)