The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fuel line issue, looking for advise!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th3ory

Proven Member
Aug 6, 2015
Centralia, Washington
While attempting to replace the stock fuel filter with the fuelab kit, http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=21516&cat=879&page=1 , I made a stupid mistake.

While trying to get the stock fuel filter off, which I don't think has ever been replaced, I torqued on the clamp bolts pretty good, and some fuel started to leak from the fuel filter inlet line from the tank. Which I thought I had cracked. So I got the stock filter off, and sure enough, there looked to be a little crack about half an inch down the main fuel feed line. So I cut it off, thinking it was my last option and I could just re-flare the line. Long story short, it wasn't cracked, it was just scuffed up and looked to be cracked.

Now here is my problem, I only have standard size double flare tool kit, and the line really only fits in the 5/16 hole. And I can not get it to double flare, it starts to push the line threw. So I figured I would try to get a solid tight single flare, and hope it would seal. After getting a good looking single flare I replace the new fuelab kit and started the car. And it has a small leak which appears to be from the flare!!

I'm at a lose at this point, I cant get a good double flare on the line with my kit, plus I cut off half an inch, and its already a TIGHT squeeze to get in there and work. Should I start thinking about replacing that whole fuel feed line from the tank to the filter?? I traced it back to a fitting off the tank, and it seems to be one single line. I could also take it to a shop, they might have a better flare kit and might get a good solid seal? Has anyone replaced that line with another stock line? I see in this fuel kit, http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=26263&cat=879&page=1 , they have an aftermarket tank to fuel rail line.

I have to step away for a bit, as I am very pissed I cut the line at this point. Now I am looking for advise. Another issue is the fuelab filter is so damn long it wont mount to the stock location, but I will have to cross that bridge after I get the leak fixed. Any input would be nice, it looks like I have the three options. Replace with another stock line, replace with aftermarket line, or see if a shop can get a good double flare on it...

Well after looking at a few options, I think I will just bypass the stock fuel line altogether, and just use stainless steel breaded line with aero fittings, and just make a new fuel line. Unless I am missing something, this will be the easiest way, plus I can move the fuelab filter down on the fire wall so it can mount properly, and make the main fuel feed line a little shorter to compensate.

good ...
FYI this was news to me.....
Orilies sells 250+ PSI fuel line hose in a diameter for our application.
I had to replace a section of hard line after torquing and breaking mine during a fuel filter removal.
cant remember price. but its cheap.

I talked back and fourth with Niu from Extreampsi and got it figured out, and since I bought the fuelab/upper fuel line kit already, I just went with there fueline, two female ends and the inverted flare brass fitting for the top of the fuel tank, I will by-pass the whole stock system. There fuel line isn't cheap, as its also stainless steel, however Niu has helped me out in the past with parts, so I just went with them.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back